• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DYI/FYI: Add a fan speed monitor lead to any 12V two wire fan.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amora

This is just an FYI in case someone out there has a 2 pin fan or other device the utilizes stators, that they wanted an RPM wire for.

The circuit mock up is not mine, and to be honest I very much doubt this not to work at all, but it does. I confirmed this last night with 2 separate fans, one with no RPM wire, and one WITH an rpm wire to test if this circuit is as accurate as the actual RPM wire. It does, just remember to use a common ground line or else the rpm reading will be erratic. This has also prompted me to believe that fans may not use the "hall effect sensor" at all as I had previously once thought. By the way, the fan that acctually had an rpm output wire is now in the fan graveyard as I ended up breaking the fan housing by yanking on the motor itself to hard.

Things to note before proceeding:
1. Do not connect the wire that you just connected to the stator(fan winding) directly to your sensing equipment(ie mobo), you MUST run this wire through the circuit first or you may damage something as the voltage/current coming from this stator can be high.

2. If your powering the fan off a diff power supply than what your rpm sensing equipment is using make sure you use a common ground between all of the components in the system, if you don't your RPM reading will be all over the place due to the sensing ping being in a "floating state"

3. Connecting a wire to one of the stator(fan windings) is a pain in the a**. Solder does NOT like whatever those stator wires are insulated in, It refuses to adhere to it at all and just beads. To mate a wire to these stators requires a bit of ingenuity.

4. be-careful trying to dismount the actual fan motor from the fan housing itself, some, if not MOST are not removable...if it seems like you can't get it off, its proly NOT coming off. I tested on garbage fans so I didn't care if I broke them or not. The reason i wanted to get to the underside of the motor was to be able to solder the wire directly to the where the stator is connected to on the PCB.

5. Yes, this little circuit works, again, I've confirmed it with 2 different fans:salute:

circuit.png

Back