• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E4300 Overclocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yea expecting 3.4ghz out of allendale cores is a crap shoot. i was able to get 3.4ghz but wasnt long term stable for 3dbenches or 24/7 use. i wound up just running at 3ghz like you. though your on the stock cooler so thats about as far as i would take it depending on your cpu voltage. download Intels tat or coretemp to check your temps.

Evilsizer said:
yea expecting 3.4ghz out of allendale cores is a crap shoot. i was able to get 3.4ghz but wasnt long term stable for 3dbenches or 24/7 use. i wound up just running at 3ghz like you. though your on the stock cooler so thats about as far as i would take it depending on your cpu voltage. download Intels tat or coretemp to check your temps.

i downloaded speedfan and while running a prime95 test i saw my core temps go over 60*C, so i stopped the test. Is that too hot?

NoisufnoC said:
i downloaded speedfan and while running a prime95 test i saw my core temps go over 60*C, so i stopped the test. Is that too hot?

With speed fan i would say so. Speed fan reads by most accounts 15deg. lower than TAT or Coretemp. There is some speculation as to which is right but it seems that Coretemp and TAT are the ones to follow. So by that it would mean you were actually closer to mid 70's. Here again some some say low 70's are ok. My 4300 runs about 66-68 with orthos according to Coretemp. I have my bios alarm set to go off at 70 and have tested it and it won't beep till it hits closer to 78. So i don't mind it hitting 66 or so. Get a better cooler and you should be fine. I don't fold currently with it however. Get better cooling and you should be fine.

what were you oced to when you got that temp? cause thats sounds really hot, that is the IHS temp. to get die temp add about 15c that would then put you at 75c for the die making that really hot, imo. remount the hs, sounds like not good temps if your not oced that much.

@pillfred

tat and coretemp are the right ones to use. cause the temps taken are from the DIE. speedfan and others are IHS temps, not the temps we want to go by.

that temp was at the 3.06ghz clock. i wasn't aware of the other temp apps, so i'll test it again tonight. i've got it running at the stock clock right now.

what coolers do you guys recommend?

Evilsizer said:
tat and coretemp are the right ones to use. cause the temps taken are from the DIE. speedfan and others are IHS temps, not the temps we want to go by.
Yea, those are what i go by. Better to error on the side of caution. Not that i do that very often. :beer:

The Arctic cooler freezer7 pro is pretty popular and can be found for 20$ I personally just bought the Big Typhoon refurb. (seems to work fine haven't installed it yet) for 30$ shipped. Sycth Ninja does well for about 40$ And if you got more money the Thermalright 120, Tuniq 120 are about 60$.

Last edited:
Evilsizer said:
it could have been a combo of heat/voltage that has caused it to degrade.

Which would be kinda wierd, seeing as its never gone above 55*c in its life and the voltage has always been less than 1.4v (1.36 with vdroop)...

I fiddled with it again this morning and i managed to get it to 3.2Ghz (355x9) again without too much hassle (1.45v in the bios for 1.39v actual), and it ran SP2004 without problems.....Memory was confirmed to run fine at 5-5-5-15 2.0v at DDR2-800.....yet it would not do 8x400. Not at all. Didnt like it, wouldnt even POST. Just sat there, doing nothing.

I have a feeling the chipset on my board is the ultimate culprit and not the CPU/Memory - I thought the P965 was supposed to be good for at least 400Mhz/1600Mhz QFSB...

Whats annoying is that because i have the 101G revision of the P5B-E instead of the 102G, theres no provision for NB/SB voltage adjustment. Looks like i'll have to hardwire the damn thing :/

did you pad mod the the e4300, some havent been able to get 400mhz fsb with out the pad mod. Pad modding it for 1066 fsb from its 800fsb.

Here are my settings, let me know if they look screwy. I'm not exactly sure what they should be at, i basically just followed that link i posted above...

Robust Graphics Booster [Auto]
CPU Clock Ratio [9x]
CPU Host Clock Control [Enabled]
CPU HOST Frequency (MHz) [340]
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) [100]
C.I.A.2 [Disabled]
System Memory Multiplier [2.00]
DRAM Timing Selectable [Manual]
CAS Latency Time [5]
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay [5]
DRAM RAS# Precharge [5]
Precharge delay (tRAS) [15]

DDR2 OverVoltage Control [+0.400V]
PCI-E OverVoltage Control [Normal]
(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.20V]
FSB OverVoltage Control [Normal]
CPU Voltage Control [1.45000V]

From doing some reading, i think i can drop the vcore for my lower clock. The article above was for a 386x9 clock

you ddr2 voltage might be high but its hard to say since we dont know the model of the ram. well while the bios setting might look like its high. the voltage the cpu is getting is prolly more like 1.425 volts. the mobo's seem to have a hard time staying close to selected voltage options.

Evilsizer said:
you ddr2 voltage might be high but its hard to say since we dont know the model of the ram. well while the bios setting might look like its high. the voltage the cpu is getting is prolly more like 1.425 volts. the mobo's seem to have a hard time staying close to selected voltage options.

NoisufnoC said:
Here's my setup (the stuff that matters):
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

that still does not tell me the model ram that is. i know its ddr2-800 but is it the 6400-c5 or 6400-c4's?

Evilsizer said:
that still does not tell me the model ram that is. i know its ddr2-800 but is it the 6400-c5 or 6400-c4's?

here's the link to newegg where i bought it...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590

i'm not sure exactly what model.

Tech Spec
Capacity 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency 5
Timing 5-5-5-12
Voltage 1.9V
Heat Spreader Yes
Recommend Use High Performance or Gaming Memory

from the spec page newegg for FYI
Model TWIN2X2048-6400

basicly value ram, cause it timings are 5-5-5-12 at that speed.

you are using to much voltage on the ram. using the +.4 option is running your ram at 2.2v. the 2x multi for the ram at 340 is running the ram at ddr2-680. that is prolly some of the problem going on.

should i be shooting for 1.9v on the ram?

now that you've got a better idea of my equipment, do you have any suggestions on settings? I'm looking for a clock in the ballpark of 3.0GHz

NoisufnoC said:
so should i be shooting for 1.9v on the ram?
yea so it would just be defualt i think , cause im not sure on the bios options for the board.

well even if you keep the settings the same the only thing that you might have to do for 3ghz is bump up the voltage more on the cpu. cause not all E4300's oc the same, some do 3ghz on stock voltage some need 1.5v to hit that. what is your cpu cooler? if its the stock intel one you might be able to do it.

Evilsizer said:
yea so it would just be defualt i think , cause im not sure on the bios options for the board.

well even if you keep the settings the same the only thing that you might have to do for 3ghz is bump up the voltage more on the cpu. cause not all E4300's oc the same, some do 3ghz on stock voltage some need 1.5v to hit that. what is your cpu cooler? if its the stock intel one you might be able to do it.

i'm still on the stock cooler right now.

NoisufnoC said:
i'm still on the stock cooler right now.
download orthos and run it for about a hour to get your max load temps while at stock settings. you need to see what kind of load temps at stock your getting first then go from there. basicly though you want your temps to stay below 65c. get tat or coretemp use those for temps.

Back