• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E4300 Overclocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
AAAAH!!! This is wierding me out! Why cant this chip just BEHAVE?!

Sat at 355.78x9 (nearest to 3.2Ghz rounded), and i'm able to bump the memory voltage back down to 2.0v and the CPU voltage down one notch and now its prime stable????

Seriously, do i just have a wierd CPU, or has it become posessed?

no, cause to much voltage the ram can cause problems as well as not enough voltage. you should really use memtest86 on a bootable cd to test your ram when you start ocing higher like that.

Heh - ran memtest - its fine at both 355x9 and 356x9, 4-4-4-12 timings, 2.0v, but that 1Mhz makes all the difference between stability and instability at the CPU voltage i have it set to....the two FSB's are so close to each other, surely it cant be as heavily defined as that?

do you have a active cooler on the chipset sink? if no, then put a small fan on top. the chipset getting to hot may also cause the issue. need to try and narrow it down as much as possbile.

No - just a bigass chunk of aluminium - ie, the stock cooler :)

It's hot to the touch, but not so hot i couldnt keep my finger on it for a few seconds.

In preparation for a possible price cut on the E4300's, can I ask you guys what you think of this:

E4300 with either a ASUS P5B-E ($171 cdn) or P5b-DLX ($211cdn), P5N-E, or Gigabyte DS3.
Memory of 5-5-5-15 OCZ ($225) or 4-4-4-12 ($180cdn). 2GB
Stock cooling.

Two questions: i want to overclock but90% of the time I'd like to run at low/idle - is that possible like it was with AMD64?

Second, is stock cooling too noisy for 3ghz overclocking? I don't mind getting a nicer cooler but when you add the price, wouldn't i be better off getting an e6600 with stock cooling, no overclock?

This system is for budget and is used for surfing, coding music/video, and photoshop. Also I don't want mobos with ram problems!

Last edited:
for something like you want i would go with a E6320/p5b-dlx,ddr2-800 ram. when your surfing just use crystal cpuid to drop the multi to 6x to lower the speed of the cpu/temps.

Would Enhanced SpeedStep technology take care of this? I'm hoping for a regulating system that is automatic. I like QFan also and have read somewhere the CPU fan even shuts down if the pc is idle! How quietly cool is that?!

yes EIST will do that some dont like it running though. if the fan on the cooler has a 4pin connector then qfan or other bios fan control. will keep the fan quiet till a heavy load.

I had to ramp up the voltages for these..

vcore = 1.6v
vdimm = 2.4v

highly unstable... week 41 really sucks

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=189169

ccpuz.png

:( xtreem rams were already @ 5-5-5-15 at this one.. 4:5

Retrolock, are you running that on air? If so, you've got more balls than I do. I don't think I could push myself to go over 1.5v without some water. It's a shame you aren't very stable at that speed, otherwise that would make for a great clock (and it's a pretty darn good one as of now ;))

yeah thanks dude i ran that with only scythe infinity and the case open lolz... it idles at 51-55 degrees so i guess i could suicide it for a few benchies hehehe.. one thing though i think i need to wipe off the zalman stg1 paste and replace it with as5.

Retrolock said:
I had to ramp up the voltages for these..

vcore = 1.6v
vdimm = 2.4v

highly unstable... week 41 really sucks

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=189169

ccpuz.png

:( xtreem rams were already @ 5-5-5-15 at this one.. 4:5
mine is a week 41A and i can do 356 x 9 stock vcore 24/7. i can boot 400 x 9 with 1.5v but its not stable so i dont think all week 41 suck. im working on this right now vcore in bios is 1.425 but temps are high rather stick to my 356 x 9

untitledwh4.png

Last edited:
E4300 + ECS P4M800PRO-M v2 $129@Fry's OC'd to 2.52 GHz

Hello, like many others I grabbed the $129 CPU/MB deal from Fry's about 2 weeks ago. Finally got around to setting it up yesterday.

Was able to get it to use the higher FSB trick with the BSEL pad mod, as explained in this thread.

Bumped the FSB a little more in the BIOS to 280, for final CPU speed of 2.52 GHz.

However, there are a few weird things going on that I can't figure out.
(1) CPUz and SANDRA don't report any Memory speed.
(2) SANDRA used to report the PCI and AGP bus speeds before I did the pad mod, but now it does not. I suspect that I can't boot higher than FSB 280 because of AGP/PCI bus being unlocked, but I can't confirm it.
(3) Temperature seems buggy. At first boot, Speedfan reports CPU temp of 8C, normal operations 15C, under load 30C.

After fooling around with it, I do recommend getting the Fry's combo if it pops up again. I had to pay another $16 for the Arctic Cooling Alpine 7, plus another $13 for the Permatex kit. Total OTD cost (after tax) for the upgrade was thus a little less than $170. The ECS motherboard is very limited, but it appears to work, and with the BSEL mod, I got a 40% overclock.

BTW, I did check with ECS, and their answer about PCI/AGP bus locking was:

ECS Support (USA) Posted : GMT 2007/04/21 21:20:40
There will be no BIOS update for locking the AGP/PCI BUS.

ECS Customer Posted : GMT 2007/04/21 13:02:28
Hello. Is there a hidden BIOS feature that allows the AGP/PCI bus to be locked while increasing the Front Side Bus?

If not, do you have a future BIOS update that will address this?

hsudog said:
Hello, like many others I grabbed the $129 CPU/MB deal from Fry's about 2 weeks ago. Finally got around to setting it up yesterday.

Was able to get it to use the higher FSB trick with the BSEL pad mod, as explained in this thread.

Bumped the FSB a little more in the BIOS to 280, for final CPU speed of 2.52 GHz.

However, there are a few weird things going on that I can't figure out.
(1) CPUz and SANDRA don't report any Memory speed.
(2) SANDRA used to report the PCI and AGP bus speeds before I did the pad mod, but now it does not. I suspect that I can't boot higher than FSB 280 because of AGP/PCI bus being unlocked, but I can't confirm it.
(3) Temperature seems buggy. At first boot, Speedfan reports CPU temp of 8C, normal operations 15C, under load 30C.

After fooling around with it, I do recommend getting the Fry's combo if it pops up again. I had to pay another $16 for the Arctic Cooling Alpine 7, plus another $13 for the Permatex kit. Total OTD cost (after tax) for the upgrade was thus a little less than $170. The ECS motherboard is very limited, but it appears to work, and with the BSEL mod, I got a 40% overclock.

BTW, I did check with ECS, and their answer about PCI/AGP bus locking was:

ECS Support (USA) Posted : GMT 2007/04/21 21:20:40
There will be no BIOS update for locking the AGP/PCI BUS.

ECS Customer Posted : GMT 2007/04/21 13:02:28
Hello. Is there a hidden BIOS feature that allows the AGP/PCI bus to be locked while increasing the Front Side Bus?

If not, do you have a future BIOS update that will address this?
:welcome: to the Forums! :beer:

IRC the VIA chipset boards do not play nice with some programs for reading pci/ram speeds. i do think that is what is going on here. From other people using that same board the board will only do 300mhz fsb. Those people did lose some of the on board features. some say the pci/agp lock is not there and some havent had any issues. i think its a crap shoot with that board and ocing, imo.

hey guys, anyone here tried lowering the multiplier and maxing out their FSB ala E6300?

I've got some D9 mems with me I'm gunning for 7x500 if possible...

What do I need to disable for my ds3 rev. 3.3 to Overclock

I found this list online-
Gigabyte
2. Set PCI Express (PCIe) frequency @100Mhz (‘Auto’ for DS3/DS4/DQ6)
3. Set PCI frequency @33Mhz
4. Disable Hyperpath 3 (for P5W DH only)
5. Disable any ‘spread spectrum’
6. Disable Q-Fan (for ASUS only)
7. Disable ‘Limit CPUID Max to 3’
8. Disable any overvoltage protection
9. Disable ‘C1E’
10. Disable ‘EIST’
11. Disable Virtualization Technology
12. Disable No-Execute Memory Protect
13. Disable any other thing you don’t use
14. Do not enable any speed enhancements you see

what do you think? Anything else needed thats not on here?

I am a complete noob at ocing. Any good sites i can learn from?

I use biostar 965pt mb, 2x 1gb gold edition OCZ, 1950gt, and e4300

Back