• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E5200 & the little HS that could

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the bump Hank. Reminded me to update.

I ended up w/ 1.1v vtt. 1.05v wasn't quite stable.

Still, 1.1v vtt, and 0.856v vcore...you can't beat that.

Once I get a Kill A Watt meter I'll see how little juice this baby sips.

Insane voltage. Insanely low that is...crazy load temps too. You could probably even go fanless and have low temps...ooooh ahhh silent right?

Undervolting for file servers ftw. I did the same with a Cel 420 and now a Cel e1200. Stock speeds at minimum voltage on a Gigabyte board. The e5200 is beefy for a server :) I figure that with a dual-core of any kind even if I end up doing some HD/TV recording with encoding or whatever it will be enough. We make overkill servers for sure, aside from having lots of SATA ports which are lacking on tiny boards there isn't a big need for processing power. I do sort of wish I'd used unRAID though, I didn't know about it when I made mine.

Also, about oc'ing with the stock cooler, obviously your high-speed runs had a pretty high temperature, but I did use the stock cooler with my Q6600 for a while and it ran with workable temps at 3GHz too.

Last edited:
I did use the stock cooler with my Q6600 for a while and it ran with workable temps at 3GHz too.

The stock all Al cooler on the e5200 is puny compared to the stock Q6600 cooler. So, its not quite apples-to-apples. I get your point, though.

:beer:

Yep. I thought I had seen the 1/2-sized one's before, but this one seems to be even smaller. I could be wrong, though.

little comparison pic
IMG_1414.jpg

Update!

System is still running great. I have 4 640GB WD's, and a 250GB IDE cache drive. I've moved about 100 or so DVD's across. They play fine in Vista Media Center.

I've got all the fans running on 5v, and the HDDs are all reporting 21-22*C in this 68*F room.

I got a Kill A Watt Meter yesterday!

I'll let the pics speak for themselves...I was very impressed!

All 5 drives spun-up:
pb180192ep0.jpg

All drives spun down:
pb180191xl1.jpg

Go green!

That's probably a realistic peak wattage for actual use, but just for funsies you might want to load up the CPU as well for a max peak wattage number. Did you turn off speedstep too, looking at your sig it seems you just run it at a set FSB and multi. I think you could do better for non-load power draw by running the CPU stock with EIST and C1E turned on and allow the CPU to speed up and down. Since they do more work/time (in other words, the 'task power' to perform a job is no worse) when sped up the total power draw in kWh shouldn't go up and at idle it will go down.

My UVOC e1200 does ~50W at idle and 75W with P95 and the disk spinning, only one disk though, so it looks like yours is a winnar with the more powerful CPU and similar power draw.

No easy way to load up the CPU now. It runs the unRAID OS. I'd have to shut it down, and put in a different HDD and then install windows. I want to eventually run a VM on it, but that's going to take some time to figure out.

Trust me, though, I've got this CPU and mobo running on MINIMUM juice!

I have it set to 333x6 which is a big FSB OC (I wanted good RAM bandwidth), but the multi is dropped to the min. This is an overall underclock to 2GHz from the stock 2.5GHz. If I used EIST and C1E there is no way it would drop the vcore as low as I have it (0.856v). Right now its in an eternal speedstep state, but at 2GHz its way more than plenty to power this file server. LOL! I've got all the mobo voltages dropped as low as they'll stay stable. RAM is set at 1.8v at 800 5-5-5-18.

Well, to squeeze out few more drips of power efficiency juice (not much though), increase or mod the psu fan with higher rpm one to make it cooler, add fan and few heatsink to the mobo's mosfets and inductors that are surrounding the cpu. :D

No easy way to load up the CPU now. It runs the unRAID OS. I'd have to shut it down, and put in a different HDD and then install windows. I want to eventually run a VM on it, but that's going to take some time to figure out.

Trust me, though, I've got this CPU and mobo running on MINIMUM juice!

I have it set to 333x6 which is a big FSB OC (I wanted good RAM bandwidth), but the multi is dropped to the min. This is an overall underclock to 2GHz from the stock 2.5GHz. If I used EIST and C1E there is no way it would drop the vcore as low as I have it (0.856v). Right now its in an eternal speedstep state, but at 2GHz its way more than plenty to power this file server. LOL! I've got all the mobo voltages dropped as low as they'll stay stable. RAM is set at 1.8v at 800 5-5-5-18.

If you let the system do it's thing with EIST and C1E the min speed would be 6x200=1200MHz. ;) Or you could run it at that speed straight up, I bet it would still be plenty of speed for unRAID. Why not give it a shot and see? My e1200 runs at 0.9V with Speedstep/C1E enabled.

I am a touch jealous of unRAID becuase of its disk-space efficient and expandable. Wish I'd known about it before getting WHS although that has it's own useful features with little hassle.

Well, to squeeze out few more drips of power efficiency juice (not much though), increase or mod the psu fan with higher rpm one to make it cooler, add fan and few heatsink to the mobo's mosfets and inductors that are surrounding the cpu. :D

Thanks for the tips! I don't think I'll be modding the PSU fan, though. I don't want to add any noise to this case. It uses an 80mm fan, and those can get pretty loud when cranked up. I used to have this PSU in my gaming rig, and it would get pretty loud on its own when I was benching.

I may install some sinks (I have some extras), but if the MOSFETs and inductors feel cool to the touch I probably won't bother.

If you let the system do it's thing with EIST and C1E the min speed would be 6x200=1200MHz. ;) Or you could run it at that speed straight up, I bet it would still be plenty of speed for unRAID. Why not give it a shot and see? My e1200 runs at 0.9V with Speedstep/C1E enabled.

I am a touch jealous of unRAID becuase of its disk-space efficient and expandable. Wish I'd known about it before getting WHS although that has it's own useful features with little hassle.

I may give it a try, but I think the lower vcore will trump the lower speed as far as power consumption (educated guess). Doing that also kills my RAM bandwidth as the FSB would drop from 333 to 200 (although, I doubt the bandwidth helps much). I could lock it at 1.2GHz, and find a new lower stable vcore. But that would involve setting windows up again for some P95, and my files would be offline during that time (PITA).

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I may install some sinks (I have some extras), but if the MOSFETs and inductors feel cool to the touch I probably won't bother.

For inductors, especially those surrounding the cpu, I doubt they will feel cool, at least warm and will be warmer on medium load even under volted.

Since it's role is a server that I think prolly you want it serves you as long as it can, just watch those power caps that close to the power inductor, their life will be shortened almost exponentially when heated, so the cooler the better.

Example on one of the best power cap in the world, sanyo oscon cap, their life time vs working temp -> HERE, IMO its quite surprising when I saw it for the 1st time, and should be noted especially for set & forget box like server that is usually left forgotten in the corner/closet for quite sometimes.

Hmm I might sink the inductors on my server mobo...it's got an exhaust fan and PSU for airflow in the CPU area but the CPU is passive and the fans are low speed.

I'm going to reply to bump this because I was thinking about it and wondered something. Bing, the link you posted re: caps is all well and good but of course it's talking about cap lifetimes not inductors or MOSFETs. Now I understand sinking inductors and MOSFETs might help them dissipate heat a little better, although it would still be right in the area near the caps it might be drawn away through airflow faster, but doesn't that link mean that sinking caps would help their lifetime too? It sounds screwy because I've never seen any piece of electronics that had sinked caps heh but that's one thing you could conclude from that link.

Back