• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E5200 & the little HS that could

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
man, this is a great thread.

i have a little e4400 that i was using on a GPU folding farm. stupid thing wouldnt do 300fsb to save it's life w/o some crazy vcore.

my bloody E5200 with stock cooler and Gigabyte UD3P board wont overclock one bit. NOT A BIT!! What the hell? Any ideas? Bloody hell!

I did forget to put the motherboard strain relief cover back on before I put the heatsink on. It wouldnt boot without it. Put it on and it booted right away. I noticed the overclocking software only notices half the cpu frequency 90 percent of the time. so it say cpu is running at 1.2 ghz then all of a sudden it says 2.5 ghz. Weird. Maybe I should resit the cpu? Idle temp is about 38 deg.

E5200 and stock cooler
GA-EP45-UD3P
4 gigs, 2 sticks, GSKILL 1066
OCZ 700W Stealthstream
Saphire 4850
Antec 300 case

my bloody E5200 with stock cooler and Gigabyte UD3P board wont overclock one bit. NOT A BIT!! What the hell? Any ideas? Bloody hell!

I did forget to put the motherboard strain relief cover back on before I put the heatsink on. It wouldnt boot without it. Put it on and it booted right away. I noticed the overclocking software only notices half the cpu frequency 90 percent of the time. so it say cpu is running at 1.2 ghz then all of a sudden it says 2.5 ghz. Weird. Maybe I should resit the cpu? Idle temp is about 38 deg.

E5200 and stock cooler
GA-EP45-UD3P
4 gigs, 2 sticks, GSKILL 1066
OCZ 700W Stealthstream
Saphire 4850
Antec 300 case

Even though I don't have a Gigabyte, try this:

Underclock the RAM to DDR 667 (333 Mhz)

and don't forget to disable SpeedStep, CPU halt and C1E in the BIOS.

reset to optimal defaults and bios went to turbo ram settings, not to sure what that means. didnt look like it did anything. went to low end automatic settings and ram still stayed at turbo setting. So hell with that. Tried to figure out how to put ram at 666 and I figured it out. put FSB to 240 which gives you 3.0 GHZ and presto it boots and runs. Thank you lord/RJARRRPCGP. I'll be back going to try for more and see what I get on this absolutely disgusting intel stock heatsink. Back in a bit

Okay 300 fsb with 10 multi and ram is at stock 5-7-7-20(seems slow will have to check packaging again) wont post at 4-4-4-12 like my reaper ram in my 5000+BE. I will have to tinker lots more just happy to have this thing overclock. See if I can get that undervolt like Jason got. I couldnt get Sisoft to burn in the cpu because the cpu spiked to 78 deg like jasons and crashed Sisoft.

Well with lots of work to be done I am very impressed with the E5200. With thanks to Jason and company I now have my cpu at 300*10 and 1.17 volts. I can run repeated sisoft burn in tests and not break 69 deg. Lots of playing to be done but will have to wait until a week from now. Exams from hell begin soon.

Last edited:
hi, sorry to high jack but....

do you lose processor power when using a lower voltage ie: would a E5300 running 1,3v at 2.6 be faster than the same chip at 1,14v? very keen to know this!

Voltage has nothing to do with ability. The faster the processor is the more powerful it is, and the lower the voltage the better off you are for efficiency.

Back