• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e6420 oc, wrong temps.did i get it right ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

genuine555

first of all, this is only my 2nd oc, so i'm NO expert by far !

my sh#*t :
[email protected], [email protected] zalman cnps9500-cu@full speed
batch L644G (a real crapper!) :bang head:
corsair twinx2048-6400c5d x2 stock settings (1:1 with fsb)
Nvidia 7600gs (no comment plz,im not into gaming)
4xwd500gb sataIII
psu OCZ 600W
Antec 900 gamerscase with 4 120mm fans (2front,back,side) blowing into the case,and 200mm top exhaust fan.
nb cooled by thermaltake extreme spirit II
sb cooled by enzotech copper sink & xilence 40mm fan

Had an intel mobo first, cauze i didn't feel like oc'ing. But after a while i changed my mind and bought asus p5b. Decent mobo, but i do have batch L644G, that's why i didn't want to oc at first.
Cauze this batch is terrible. No really, the worst of it's kind. But i'm having fun oc'ing it.
Couldn't get a decent oc as my temps went skyrocket with a higher vcore. I did have terrible cooling, so i decided to max out air cooling first, and then after oc'ing this bugger to the max and maybe killing the damn thing, then i'd upgrade it, maybe getting a better batch.

So i took care of the first,rebuild my rig as shown above and started oc'ing.:beer: Cooling seems exagurated, but bear in mind that i am going to get a cpu upgrade soon, so i'll have everything i need by then.:santa:

So i started oc. But after installing speedfan and everest, some issues with the temps came to light. My tcase showed a temp of 10 degrees higher than both cores,iddle and load. This temp also shows in bios.
As this is impossible, i started to search for true and fals readings. Searched and read loads of data throughout the web.
This is what i found out :

i'm at 3ghz at this point, vcore 1.38, mem/fsb 1:1 stock settings.
Iddle i get these temps :

iddle.jpg

under load i get these temps :

tcase.JPG

So speedfan and everest show a tcase higher than the cores,both iddle and load.

So it seemed like they showed the core temps to low. But comparing speedfan with everest and coretemp, i saw that temps from both cores were the same in all three apps. Speedfan,everest and bios also show tcase the same, but as tcase is read through a sensor on the mb in prox. of the cpu, and core temps through a digital sensor inside the chip, i'd rather trust the latter. I also know that coretemp is a trustworthy app.

Still wasn't sure, so i searched some more and found this :
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA4T

So tcase must stay below 60.1 degrees. Vcore may vary 0.85-1.5.
Taking another look at my temps under load, i soon realised that with these temps, i'd never even get it up to 1.45 or so, as now,despite all this extra cooling at 1.38 i'd get a tcase of 55+ ! :screwy:
So this doesn't seem realistic at all. Cores are approx 45, which does seem realistic.
So let's assume tcase IS correct. Cores have to be 5 degrees higher for a E6xxx cpu, so this would put them at 60+ ! :screwy::screwy:

Still not convinced, i set vcore at 1.55 @415fsb (don't laugh,its a l644g,going lower on vcore just isn't prime-stable).
Under load i got tcase 75-80 and cores 65-70.
So i decided to feel for myself. After grounding mself, i felt around the hs and cpu, and guess what ? around the cpu and bottom of hs were mildly warm, but nothing like 75 degrees celcius.. hs top fins were not even warm, and u could feel a slightly warm breeze coming from the hs-fan, but not very warm or hot at all.:confused:

So i followed my guts, and gave tcase an offset of -15 in speedfan, to have it settled approx 5 degrees lower than both cores, as it should be.
Now i get these temps :

iddle :

iddle2.jpg

load :

tcase2.jpg

did i get it right on these temps ? any heads up ? anyone? :confused::confused:

oc is at 3ghz now, vcore 1.38, fsb termination 1.3, everything else at stock.
prime95 stable 14h :

testpasscpu12h.jpg

lowering vcore isn't stable in prime. tried upping voltages for nb,sb,sbcore,fsb,mem for more stability with vcore 1.37, but nothing seems to make a difference at such low fsb.

I'm planning to take it to the max. So i need to know if this offset for tcase is right. Gonna keep upping fsb and vcore till i can go no further on air. Maybe vcore 1.6, if temps will allow it.
Any advice anyone ?

Also, if i plan to settle at 3.0ghz or 3.2ghz for 24/7 use, should i keep mem @1:1 ratio, being 750mhz or 800mhz ? or should i set a higher strap and run it 4:5 ? i think these corsair can take it, no ?

So any advice,knowledge or headsup is very welcome, since my experience is
limited.

Last edited:
oh yeah, ambient temp was around 17 degrees celcius throughout these tests, all performed same day.
And tcase/cpu reading in bios and everest are still wrong, but as far as i know offset can't be changed in everest and bios. And no I don't have PECI in bios. If i had, i would have enabled it, which would probably have solved my problem too.

cheers

ok, so THANX !
took me almost an hour to write this down,
but not even one reply :confused:.

What kind of ****ed up forum is this :screwy: ??? must be the people on it hu ???

i think i'll unregister myself here, and look for a better forum. can't be hard, judging by this....:beer:

Back