• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6600 at default = >70 degrees stressed (!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FIZZ3 said:
Let me try to explain the reasons for preferring the exhaustive test, even if its actual test is overkill for real-life situations.

Suppose TAT stresses CPU components A, B and C at the same time to 100% each. If this works fine, any program that stresses either A, or B or C will have no problem. Even a heavier program stressing A and C will still be fine. Or B and C... etc. Peace of mind.

Orthos may stress components A and B at the same time, and thereby present a real-life working load. However, component C may still be problematic, even if that's the only one being stressed by another program.

Ask yourself whether you want to run a PC that cracks under TAT load (overheats), but is fine in Prime, 3Dmark etc. I'd say that it's running too close to the limit to be comfortable. Now imagine dust buildup or summer coming in, and it may start overheating even sooner.

yes i know all this. you want your temps to be acceptable under worst case scenarios. that makes sense. but like i said, TAT is a theoretical workload. it is not possible for every single component of a cpu to be at 100% all of the time. there will ALWAYS be times when there are parts of the cpu that are idle, or at less than 100% load. if you can find me a program that comes even CLOSE to producing the kind of heat that TAT can, i will be VERY surprised.

for my cpu, i max out in orthos around 63c. i have found no programs, synthetic or not that run my cpu hotter than orthos does. now if i run TAT 100% (theoretical) workload (and i say "theoretical" because it is actually doing ZERO "work" afaik), it can climb up to 75c. so, do i think that running orthos stable at 63c is too close to the "edge"? no. that's a 12c difference in my case. and i don't worry about dust buildup, i take care of my pc. i'm not worried about summer, because it is not even december, and i live in canada. i've got a good 6 months before i have to worry about ambient temps. ;)

Mr. $T$ said:
Take your processor and a small piece of glass, put a dab of ketchup on the center of the IHS and press it against the glass. Looking through the glass on the other side look for a uniform color across the entire IHS. If you see a darker area in the center and lighter on the outside you have a concave IHS. If it's darker on the edges and light in the center you have a convex IHS.

I heard this somewhere on these forums so credit is due there.

It was bing, I think he said tomato sauce but same deal.

Did you clean the CPU before aplying the AS5? If so, with what?
And I agree with alot of the other guys.. 100% TAT workload isn't nessary, Orthose should be fine.

So installed that sythe infinity... OCed to 2.8 real quick. My temps:
27C idle and 35C load! :D

The best part is I didn't lapp a thing, i'll do that when i'im home in two weeks.

Back