• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E6850 or Q6600 for the same price?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
q6600 for me, pre native core c2d. It gets cold in my office in the winter and I can use another heater.

Evilsizer said:
i would say quad for folding and E6750 or E6850 for my gaming rig.

Any idea when gaming programmers will turn to quad multi thread code for quad core CPUs in your opinion?

Can I ask one of the moderators to make this a poll, would be interesting to see and help people make the right choice when the time comes, thanks
If you think this is worth it off course...

Brolloks said:
Can I ask one of the moderators to make this a poll, would be interesting to see and help people make the right choice when the time comes, thanks
If you think this is worth it off course...

I think it is.:)

Brolloks said:
Any idea when gaming programmers will turn to quad multi thread code for quad core CPUs in your opinion?
very few right now are multi threaded, the first game that is multithreaded is Quake3a followed by doom3,quake4 to date. i think all DX10 are gonna be multithreaded, i could be wrong though.

Evilsizer said:
very few right now are multi threaded, the first game that is multithreaded is Quake3a followed by doom3,quake4 to date. i think all DX10 are gonna be multithreaded, i could be wrong though.

you've only named fps games!
Can't forget about rts! like supreme commander.

Personally, imo, by the time games use 4 cores, your little q6600 would be a pushover compared to the next monster architecture.

White_Pawn said:
you've only named fps games!
Can't forget about rts! like supreme commander.

Personally, imo, by the time games use 4 cores, your little q6600 would be a pushover compared to the next monster architecture.
i had no clue supreme commander was multi-threaded.

White_Pawn said:

By this way of thinking then imagine how much of a push over would it be compared to a dual? and in the end they are both the same price.

That said I agree that if you are mainly into gaming then dual core is the way to go in the short term unless you won't be upgrading for a loooong time

Evilsizer said:
i had no clue supreme commander was multi-threaded.

you'd be surprised. I remember reading somehwere it takes both cores. You can 'feel' it too because you don't want to minimize the game, it takes !@#$ing forever. Unlike other single-ap games, Minimize in an instant. It also says somehwere i believe, something along the lines of "for optimal performance, own a dual-core cpu".

That is how companies like Intel and AMD make their shareholders mega millionaires, they keep feeding us breadcrumbs in tech upgrades, I'm sure thet already have a octa core ready and waiting...:santa2:

Brolloks said:
That is how companies like Intel and AMD make their shareholders mega millionaires, they keep feeding us breadcrumbs in tech upgrades, I'm sure thet already have a octa core ready and waiting...:santa2:

not to mention they have begun the research and development for DDR4...

well if you upgrade every year then get the dual. if you dont se upgrading for say 2+ years then get the quad.

Evilsizer said:
well if you upgrade every year then get the dual. if you dont se upgrading for say 2+ years then get the quad.
I think it is safe to say just about everybody that is a serious overclocker upgrades at least once a year, Intel and AMD has us bagged for life...:santa:

Assuming your not folding then it's 50/50.

I just hope that heat isn't an issue with the quad.

Back