• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8200 OR E8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well just bought a E8400 gonna get a p5k-e wifi motherboard

do you think these two will go well together?

Not sure the conversion of pounds to American dollars,

before it would roughly convert to 1.5 = 1 and he said 60 so about 85-90 US but since we are in such economical hardship it would come out to 60 British Pounds = 119.68 US Dollars so just double it. 2-3 years ago we were the same with Canada but those times are gone for now.

You'd be lucky to get 3.4Ghz out of the Q9300 :( whereas the E8400 could probably do 3.6Ghz on stock voltage without blinking.

For apps that do not take advantage of quad cores (basically every game in existance right now) you'll get far more use out of the E8400. If you ever start doing encoding, photo editing or 3D rendering work, the quad would likely do better.
or 4.0GHZ at 1.25 volts:santa:

Asus P5K-E Motherboard (with more FSB headroom available)

Attachments

• DiJiTal E8200.jpg
    DiJiTal E8200.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 615
Techincaly he didn't say the OC wasn't nice lol, just that higher multi is better. Which of course is true, the higher the multiplier, the less you have to spend on a motherboard to get the same OC, also if the above OC was a 9x multi then that 500FSB could be translated into a 4.5ghz OC, CPU willing. Nohing wrong with 8X, but 9X does have its benefits.

Go for the 9x multi if you can.

Nothing like benching at 525x9 for 4725mhz. I think I did a sub 10 sec SPi run with 4.7ghz. Good luck doing that with an 8x multi, it'll be much harder.

Also, my daily settings are a breeze. My ram has a slight overvolt but stock timings (4-4-4-12) with 450x9 for 4050mhz. Almost everything else is stock.

I'd say spend the extra $20-30 and get the multi, but to each his own.

Asus P5K-E Motherboard (with more FSB headroom available)

Those with a P5K-E may find the following interesting – prior to installing the E8200, my highest stable FSB was 484 on all of my previous Socket 775 processors:
  • E6850
  • QX6700
  • Q6600
  • E2140

However, with the E8200, I still haven’t found my maximum FSB, and so far it looks to be far beyond 515 and closer to 526 (without having to raise the NB voltage to 1.7v). All it took was the loosening of sub-timings and a bump to 1.55v for the NB. When with the previous (65nm) processors, nothing I tried could get me over the 484 FSB limit.

If this is a result of the processor, many (who own motherboards of various types) may be surprised to find that their previous maximum FSB means nothing when using a Wolfdale. In the scenario (illustrated below), it seems the overclocking efficiency is reaching its limit far sooner than the FSB speeds.

Many can’t reach much higher than 4 GHz with the E8400 without pumping serious (and dangerous) VCore – while others can accomplish 4.3 GHz with around 1.4v. If I had installed an E8400 with a similar overclocking limit to the E8200 I have installed, it wouldn’t have mattered what the multiplier was. But, for those who have a gem of a Wolfdale sample, with the ability to hit 4.2 to 4.3 GHz within Intel’s voltage specifications, a “9” multiplier may be the way to go – for an overall speed boost of approximately *4.8%.

*4.8% is based upon a voltage "safe" (as prescribed by Intel) and stable overclock to 4.3 GHz vs. 4.1 GHz.

Attachments

• E8200 II.jpg
    E8200 II.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
I still think the 8400 is the better buy. Most people don't have access to a motherboard thats capable of 500FSB let along 525-530. 9 multi plus 450FSB is the sweet spot for the 8400's.

Back