• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 + Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L + DR2-800 Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stigg

Hi all,
This is my first post and I'm having some major issues with getting any form of overclocking out of my system. Unfortunately I am at work and am unable to take screenshots at the moment, but I will welcome all information yall can give.

Let me start out by saying I have searched these forums and read just about every post that turned up for "e8400" and "EP35". I have also read the Core2Duo guide that, I believe, Earthdog wrote as well as the Gigabyte guide that Shadow put together. None of these posts nor guides have resolved my issues.

With that out of the way, a bit about my system. I am running an E8400 3.0 GHZ on a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L mobo and 2x2 GB of DDR-2800 RAM (specifically this ram. I have the standard CPU heatsink that came with the CPU, running at idle at about 37C.

I am completely new to overclocking, but reading through a bunch of guides and these forums makes it sound like achieving 3.6 is very simple. Up the FSB from 333 to 400 and set the System Memory Multiplier to 2.00 (making the value 800).

Basically, my BIOS look similar to this, except my Standard Memory Control is 5-5-5-18.

When I save the BIOS, it automatically reboots once (is that normal?) then starts the computer. Within 10 seconds, it reboots again to completion. Unfortunately, the BIOS has reverted back to its normal settings (pre-overclock).

After trying those same settings a few times, I started fiddling around with other settings. I tried upping the FSB by as little as 5, but the same problem happens. I have ran memtest which passed. I don't know what else I can do. If yall have any suggestions, please let me know!

Have you manually set voltage levels for the northbridge (MCH), CPU (vcore), and RAM (DRAM)? Also, is your memory set to its stock/rated speeds in the BIOS?

Have you manually set voltage levels for the northbridge (MCH), CPU (vcore), and RAM (DRAM)? Also, is your memory set to its stock/rated speeds in the BIOS?

Thanks for the reply!

I have not messed with voltages at all. It was my understanding (I believe from Shadow's review of the Gigabyte board as well as multiple other e8400 threads) that such a small change (even 5 mhz to fsb) would not require a change to voltages. I'd be more than happy to increase the voltage to give it a shot, is there a value you would recommend?

For the memory, my stock speeds are 5-5-5-18, which I have both attempted to manually set and use "AUTO" under the bios. All result in the same double reboot without a save.

It is true, a 5mhz fsb increase really shouldn't be an issue. Try dropping the multiplier of the CPU down to 7-8 (I believe stock is 9?), save and reboot, and try upping it by 5 again

It is true, a 5mhz fsb increase really shouldn't be an issue. Try dropping the multiplier of the CPU down to 7-8 (I believe stock is 9?), save and reboot, and try upping it by 5 again

Alright, I'll give that a shot when I get home.

Hi,
I tried dropping the multiplier to 8 then 7 and neither worked. I kept all other parameters the same. I got the double reboot and no changes.

I have the same motherboard as you and I also have the same problem. What video card are you using?

From what I have found I believe it is something to do with the motherboard having a PCI express 1.0 x16 slot and using a video card that is 2.0 or higher. Any fixes that I have seen havn't worked for me.

Hi Grimtok! I am using the Radeon 5570 which is a PCI Express 2.1 x16. Well, damn. Have you updated your BIOS at all?

Thanks for the link. I'll try both the solutions in there tonight and possibly toss in my old 8800gt to see if that makes a difference.

Grimtok,
Thanks a lot for that link! I followed this guide and just bumped up my fsb to 350 (from 333) and it stuck! I'm going to push it up to 400 right now (since that would give me 3.6ghz which was what I was trying to do in the first place) but just wanted to write this to say its working!

Thanks so much!

That's quite bizarre. Glad to see that it is working, time to add that to my memory banks...

bzzt

Now what did I have for dinner last night?

Back