• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haggenator

Registered
Hello everybody. I am trying to overclock my E8400. But after I get past 3.6 at all I get an instant error in Prime95. Tried different voltage settings but still nothing. And I am not sure how high I can push the voltages. I have a EVGA 750i ftw mobo. And I am water cooling so temps are not a problem. Here are my settings. Any help would be much appreciated.

CPU core 1.3v
CPU FSB 1.2v
Memory 2.15
Nforce SPP 1.45
NF200 Voltage 1.4

I am running in unlinked mode. Right now my FSB is at 1556 (3.5ghz) and memory is at 1050 mhz. My timings are 5-5-5-15. Let me know if any more information is needed. Thanks again.

i had the same problem, i was using ddr2 800 ram and when i would overclock it even a little bit it would not work. Try unsinking the ram from the cpu, so that when you increase your fsb it wont increase your ram. I am not able to do that with my mobo so i use ddr2 1066, but i think your board allows you to.

First of all, you need to set your RAM 800mhz to make sure they are not holding you back. Which revision of E8400 do you have, C1 or E0? If you have E0, then you should be able to hit 3.6ghz at stock voltage without any troubles. However if you have C1 on the other hand, then 1.3v should be enough to stabilize 3.6ghz.

First of all, you need to set your RAM 800mhz to make sure they are not holding you back. Which revision of E8400 do you have, C1 or E0? If you have E0, then you should be able to hit 3.6ghz at stock voltage without any troubles. However if you have C1 on the other hand, then 1.3v should be enough to stabilize 3.6ghz.

Okay I will try again setting my RAM to 800mhz. But that didnt seem like it did anything. I actually have C0. I bought this from a friend who got it to 4.ghz so I know it can do it. Is my Vcore not high enough or something?

i had the same problem, i was using ddr2 800 ram and when i would overclock it even a little bit it would not work. Try unsinking the ram from the cpu, so that when you increase your fsb it wont increase your ram. I am not able to do that with my mobo so i use ddr2 1066, but i think your board allows you to.

It is unsinked right now. My RAM is actually rated at ddr2 1150mhz so that shouldnt be the problem.

Back