• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 TEMP ISSUE,VERY DETAILED,looking for answers!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
running core temp 0.96.1

i'm quite sure it is seated correctly... it was a PITA to get it to lock in the place on the mobo but i don't see how it would not be seated correctly. i guess i could take it apart tonight are reseat it but i'm not sure this is the issue.. it COULD be the thermal compound from the retail HSF got messed up as i was fighting to get the heatsink attached to the mobo.

it could be a bad one,i tried 3 e8400,all on 1.3v 4.05ghz
idle:1st one at 49/49,2nd at 29/42,3rd one at 42/42
max load:1st 70/69,2nd 57/56,3rd 60/59

same settings.

the first one wont past orthos test,and it bring my chilltec reader up to 28c.
the other 2 will run orthos and only bring my chilltec reader up to 26c.

i kept the 3rd one even the 2nd one give me 26-29c on core0,but core1 never below 42c.the 3rd one at least both core showing same temp,and when i down to stock speed,they both show 40c.

i hope intel can officially look into this iusse,and wont let ppl dispoint on the INTEL name.

i'm at work so i can't do much more than prime95 testing right now but under torture test for the past 5 mins the temps are maxed out at 67*

cores don't seem to be locked in at the same temp but they are with in 1* of each other. i wish i had a local computer store so i could just go out and buy an aftermarket HSF unit to test out... i will place an order for a tuniq today so maybe this week i will have more to report.

for tonight i'll tkae the HSF off and reseat it and report back what i find.

EDIT: this is interesting.. i stopped the test after about 6 mins and the temps fell about 10* almost instantly... WTF? does that seem normal?

Hello all,

I probably have one of the best E8400 retail chips and they do run hot (if the temp sensors are correct). About 20° hotter than my E6850. There is about a 10° difference between coretemp and asus probe. I find it difficult to comprehend that these chips idle at 40°C when my E6850 idled at 20° with .2v more power.

i'm at work so i can't do much more than prime95 testing right now but under torture test for the past 5 mins the temps are maxed out at 67*

cores don't seem to be locked in at the same temp but they are with in 1* of each other. i wish i had a local computer store so i could just go out and buy an aftermarket HSF unit to test out... i will place an order for a tuniq today so maybe this week i will have more to report.

for tonight i'll tkae the HSF off and reseat it and report back what i find.

EDIT: this is interesting.. i stopped the test after about 6 mins and the temps fell about 10* almost instantly... WTF? does that seem normal?

its been common to all e8400,could be a bug,temp jump 10c instant on load or drop 10c instant when u close the program

e8400

The only problem Ive had is the idle temp stays locked at 25c until it is either stressed or I bump the CPU voltage WAY up.

Running [email protected], the idle temp went from the normal or "locked" 25c to 38-40c+. In orthos at [email protected] the temps shot up to 68-70c+. It seems at anything under 1.4v, core temp reads it locked at 25c idle. Other than that the temps seem "normal" for the voltage being used. On my e6750 running [email protected] idle temps were 29c-33c depending on room temps, in orthos it maxed out at around 54c. On the e8400 running [email protected] max temps in orthos are around 48c.
I don't know if these temps are accurate but I have wanted a 4.0 stable machine for a long time and now I finally have one.

If i had a chip that did not overclock as well I probably would be more disturbed by the temp issues. I wasn't trying to be a jerk with my last post at all. I was just suprised to see people focused so much on the temp reading problema and ignoring the fact that they had 4.0+ chips. It took a while with the e6x50 chips to get accurate readings and this may very well have a happy ending to.

Last edited:
Has anyone tested whether thermal throttling is working on these CPUs?
If I had one I’d use RMClock to watch for throttling; use the stock Intel heatsink and disable the fan and run Orthos. Obviously keep a close eye on temps so you can stop Orthos if it looks like the throttling isn’t working. If throttling kicks in with the DTS temps reading about 105C then it suggest that the DTS is doing its job which is controlling thermal throttling. Provided throttling works and the DTS temps are accurate in the higher range, the fact the sensor isn’t giving accurate readings at lower temps at idle seems a very minor inconvenience.
The DTS is there to control throttling which maybe is the only thing that Intel tested it for.

I'll do that this weekend. I already had my chip up to 75c (according to the newest coretemp) during max OC testing and I didn't notice anything. That 75c load was using Orthos and about 1.45v @4440mhz. PCMark05 continued to scale with processor speed increase so I know it wasn't throttling during that.

EDIT: Back story, I also have the frozen temp bug. At idle or low ocs/volts my chip will read 40/38c regardless. I didn't get it to budge until I gave it some juice and ran Orthos.

Hi i'm new :) in the search for better temps :p

I've also sent an email to intel....

Goodday,

I and others alike get 'weird' TEMP readouts when using your new wolfdale processor.

I'm using latest everest and tempcore to read out these temps. Both programs show the same readout. In my case:

At stock 3ghz idle:
cpu: 18 degrees celcius
core1: 46 degrees celcius
core2: 46 degrees celcius

for cooling i'm using: Thermalright extreme 120 + scythe 120mm 1600rpm with arctic silver 5.

Could you please relay to me if these temps hit anywhere near nominal values tested by intel?

Before we blow up our cpu's? :) Thanks in advance

REPLY:

Hello XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Customer Support.

I understand that you are concerned about the temperature of your processor.

Intel(R) new processors use what we call the thermal margin.
As its name states this is no longer a measurement of the temperature level the processor is running at; it is actually the total temperature left before the processor reaches its maximum recommended temperature or thermal design. The shorter the margin is the closer the processor gets to its thermal limit. If by any chance the thermal margin reaches 0 degrees Celsius the system should still not freeze but it will alarm you of overheating problems with in the processor area.

For instance, if a processor thermal spec is 60 degrees Celsius and the thermal margin reports only 20 degrees Celsius, it means that the actual processor is only running at 40 degrees Celsius.

As long as the processor is operating under this temperature it is operating within specifications. We do not have a normal operating temperature for the processor as this temperature will vary depending on the chassis and other hardware installed on the system as well as the actual load the software is placing on the processor.

Keep in mind that only the CPU uses thermal margin, the temperature reported by each core is the temperature level the core is running at. However keep in mind that you do not need to be concerned about the temperature of each core, you only need to pay attention to the thermal margin of the CPU itself.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

---------------------------------------------------------------
??????????? I'm obviously awaiting a reply on the matter that my cpu goes from 18 degrees celcius to 30 degrees and cores respectively from 46 to 57 when i'm priming...
Instead of 18 degrees before overheating when idle I have even more (30) degrees left before meltdown when i'm priming... Yes.. Makes sense.. Or am i an idiot?

EDIT----

Just got a fast reply from intel:

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Customer Support.

I have done additional research and the way the temperature is read (thermal margin or normal thermal reading) depends on the motherboard itself.
Our motherboards report the temperature as a thermal margin, however since you have a third party motherboard please contact them so they can tell you the way the temperature is read in your motherboard.

If your motherboard reports the temperature as a normal thermal reading then your processor is running at 30 degrees Celsius when testing it. That means that it is still running 42.4 degrees Celsius before the maximum recommended temperature.

--------------------------

Well dunno about you.. But I gave a jump of joy when first booting my pc with the thermalright extreme and the bios stating that my cpu ran at 17 degrees C. WOW i thought.. COOL!!! Then in windows i saw the core temps.. and i thought. yikes those are pretty high at 47.. But I think i'm going with what intel says. Just monitor my cpu temp and disregard the cores. I've read that everywhere.. Disregard the cores.. BUT THEY ARE SO HIGH!!! Son.. let go.. Use the force only look at cpu temp.. you still have OC-ING to do too reach that magical cpu temp of 72.3. 1 tenth of a degree away from meltdown :p

Last edited:
Intel is saying that the thermal sensor output in the chip is based on the delta to Tjmax. This has been true for a while. Programs like CoreTemp take that reading, and then selects a Tjmax based on an internal database (which isn't always correct), and then uses that info to calculate the final core temp. Tjmax - delta = coretemp

The issue Intel hasn't addressed is why the thermal sensor output seems to stall at a certain point when the delta is too large (temps get lower than ~40*C).

Intel also says you can run these CPUs all the way up to Tjmax w/o going out of spec. Right now CoreTemp is reporting 105*C as Tjmax. :mad::mad::mad:

Well I saw someone here i think on the board with a core reading of 95 degrees so he's within specs then...

They keep saying don't look at the core temp. Just the cpu... It's hard but imaginable.. I read somewhere that nasa or sump.. got no source. was developing cpu's that worked up till 200 degrees celcius.

But how are they measuring cpu temp? Because I thought Intel's "rated" temp is based on Tcase, which is the temperature at the center of the top of the IHS - which is pretty much unmeasurable.

Hello everyone! I just signed up, I'm having issues with my e8400 as well I'm hitting crazy high temps, My core 0 has hit 90c on benchmarks at stock speeds, and core 1 is always a few degrees lower.

I'm running stock clock speeds 9x333, and right now coretemp is showing me 69/65 and speedfan is showing me 64/60 and 32 on the CPU.

I've reseated it twice on my gigabyte ga-g33m-s2h w/oem thermal paste, and now I'm using an Asus pk5-vm with AS5 paste and the temps are pretty much identical on both boards with the same CPU.

CPU batch number is Q743A748

I'm very confused here, I see people complaining they're hitting high 50's at 4.0ghz and I'm idling at ~65 at stock speeds? I'm thinking the core temp sensors must be pooched?!

I think my bios is reporting the correct temps. So i use gigabytes easy tune to monitor them. About 24*c idle and 35*c load at stock speed. And 28*c idle and 43*c load at current clocks

I think my bios is reporting the correct temps. So i use gigabytes easy tune to monitor them. About 24*c idle and 35*c load at stock speed. And 28*c idle and 43*c load at current clocks

I seriously doubt those temps are accurate. 28c idle is VERY low for 4GHz. I have a feeling once all of these temp issues get sorted out, average temps are going to be about 32-36c at idle for 3.0GHz, and 38-42c at idle for 4GHz.

A reason for the unchanging cpu idle temps could be due to the special Wolfdale design. I remember reading something about an advance idle state which lowers the voltage way down, much lower than with the Conroe's. My cpu temp does seem to change much at idle regardless of the cpu voltage applied (might be that Hafnium Hi-K metal gate, not sure :). But they heat up real quick when loaded.

My first E8400 had 17C/34C idle core temps (@ 4.05GHz). I exchanged it for a new one, and with the exact same settings it reads 38/36C at idle. So obviously the cpu was giving the faulty readings, not a m/b bios issue.

Thanks for the helpful explanation... RGone. ;) Sorry to blow your cover dude. :beer:

To add something useful... I'm seeing ~42/44C idle @ 4.1GHz 1.385v & 67/67C on Small FFTs. I personally think the temps are off by 5~10C.

I seriously doubt those temps are accurate. 28c idle is VERY low for 4GHz. I have a feeling once all of these temp issues get sorted out, average temps are going to be about 32-36c at idle for 3.0GHz, and 38-42c at idle for 4GHz.

not sure, its the most believable. And its only at 1.28v, not far from stock voltage. I think it is correct because it fluctuates reasonably if i give it something like 1.38v for 4.3ghz, it will say 36idle and about 50c load.

One with stuck idle temps at 45 here.
Stock load = 46/51
3.6 @ 1.22 vcore (cpuz) load = 57/61

These thing react mightly to voltage if those are to believed. However...the exhuast feels cooler then what came out of my older Opty machine, which also load temped at ~61C. Dunno. There's obvious observer bias here, though, lol. (aka I don't want to believe those temps :p)

Back