• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Easy as 1, 2, 3, Overclocking the A64, Opteron, X2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been following your steps with my new setup. I was wondering if you think that for testing the HTT, if I run 3dMark 05 and SuperPi 8m at the same time, that this will be sufficient for testing? So far I'm stable with both of these at the same time up to 220mhz at 5x HTT on my Opteron 148.

Thanks,
0SER

Awesome job on the tutorial!

sure HTT testing is more of a "it wont post" than anything. Generaly it is the least important of all the steps but needs to heppen first so you know wether its going to be your limmiting factor.

I was trying to follow this guide and I was doing the first part, testing the HTT, bumping it up 5mhz and booting in to windows until it got unstable. Unfortunately, I went "too far", booted in to windows, had the screen blink a few times then go black. when i rebooted, my registry was corrupted. I look back on the experience and think I should have run some tests at each boot instead of just trying to find where I couldn't boot windows anymore, but that is how i interpreted what I read.

Anywho, does this sound like the normal "instability" I should keep my eye out for, or does this sound like some other part of my system is factoring in? To me, the screen blinking point to vid card and the FUBARed registry is a result of the unexpected reboot, but I'm sure some one else knows better.

hi
im runnning on a athlon 64 3500+ running on 2.5ghz on stocks voltages. i wana push it higher but then i need to increase volts soo hoow much must i push the volts up per 100mhz? my core is running at 1.440 V

No one can tell you that your going to have to just start increasing voltage and processor speed until it either works or breaks. :( thats one of the things about overclocking is every chips is different. You may need less voltage then i do, or more voltage than someone else.

First off, thank you for posting this guide it makes things a lot clearer and is more compact/summarised and readable than any guide I have tried to follow.

As I am new to oc and amd I wanted to check that I am doing things right and getting the correct sort of results so if someone could give me a bit of guidance that would be great.

OK I didn't want to charge on with this until I felt I knew what I was doing so I have only really had a go at stage 1 (that and it's been taking my pc 5 mins to go from bios to fully booted up). Is what I have done correct?

From my sig below I have an Opty 165, a Lanparty Ultra-D and 2 Gb GSkill PC3200.

I went into the 'Genie Bios' then >DRAM config>DRAM Freq and set this value to 133 (was at auto)

Then went back up a level and set the LDT/FSB ratio to 5x (was at auto)

and the CPU/FSB ratio to 6x (was at auto)

I then ran some tests upping the FSB and trying to boot up which gave me a final stable value of around FSB=255 (not tried the 3x yet)

Is this the correct way to go about it and is 255 a reasonable value or should it be higher or lower?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer. :)

that tells you the max it will do x5 which looks like 1300 mhz which is awsome.. now drop the LDT/FSB down to 3x and see how high you can go, your going to end up trying to maximize your over all HTT using thoes two numbers, you want the fastest FSB you can run for you processor and memory while still staying under 1300 total on your HTT.

infinitevalence said:
that tells you the max it will do x5 which looks like 1300 mhz which is awsome.. now drop the LDT/FSB down to 3x and see how high you can go, your going to end up trying to maximize your over all HTT using thoes two numbers, you want the fastest FSB you can run for you processor and memory while still staying under 1300 total on your HTT.

OK I will carry on as before...then try to work out what i am meant to do in stages 2 and 3 :rolleyes: Thank you for your help this is all a bit confusing for me and I am very wary of damaging my stuff.

as long as you have decent cooling and watch your temps your not really in danger. just keep the voltage under 1.5v on air 1.6 on water. And dont let your load temps get over 50c.

Ok figured as I had started documenting my progress I might as well carry on in case there are any others with a similar set up who are as clueless as me :)

(btw if the thread owner/author doesn't want my info messing up the thread then feel free to remove or move it and sorry :) )

I will update this post as I move forward

Continuing from my last post..

Still at Stage 1 of the guide..

I set the LDT/FSB to 3x and carried out the same process as before.

This time I was able to get the FSB up to 260 as my previous top was 255 (with the LDT/FSB set to 5x) I realised that 255 was going to be my limit.

I then set the LDT/FSB back to 5x and the FSB to 255 and booted up. My intention was to run a couple of loops of 3d Mark05, however my pc hung during the first loop so I restarted and set my FSB to 252. Again this caused a problem so I set it back to 250. I ran the test 3 times (twice with my gfx at stock and one with it oc'd). I then set the LDT/FSB back to 3x and repeated. (i.e. ran 3d mark95 three times twice with my gfx at stock and once with my gfx oc'd)

So I have finished stage 1 of the guide and have discovered that my highest stable fsb is 250

Now onto stage 2...........

Ok.. i sound like a complete n00b saying this.. but i've used ATI tool to overclock my video card and something tht is tht easy to do is really the only way tht i can do something like this w/o me thinking im goin to break it.. so does neone have ne suggestions on OC'n my Athlon 3000+ Venice 1.8ghz at *9x200* stock and also my memory is 2.5-3-3-7 stock hope to get helpful guide *including help on raising voltages etc*

My motherboard is a biostar tforce 6100-939 and it gives these options in the OC section
Cpu voltage (1.2 to 1.725 V w/ interval of 0.25V)
cpu frequency (200 to 450 interval of 1 mhz)
hammer cpu multiplier *is this the HTT?* (low is x4 or 800mhz with 1x interval goes up to 9x with my processor)
Memory voltage (2.6 to 2.9V) interval of .1 V)
Memclock Frequency (100,133,166,200,216,233,250mhz)
PCIE Clock (100 to 145 interval of 1 mhz)
NB/SB Voltage Regulator *wht is this?* (1.52v,1.6v, 1.68v, 1.76v)
HT Frequency (x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,auto)

Last edited:
O and I run RightMark Memory Analyzer to see wht specs my comptuter has.. and i have ddr 400 memory not OC'd at all at timing of 2.5-3-3-7.. and it says it is running at around 166mhz on RightMark.. but in Bios it is set to 200mhz? Ne one have a solution to this? And could it b the software that came with the motherboard tht used to work but now tht i changed something will not reload or delete completly so i can do a clean install of it etc. hope i can find help on this

Check your memory frequency, it could be set wrong and you might also want to update your bios, there could be a revision that corrects this problem.

I updated my BIOS and did some other stuff and its fixed now.. but i ran the AUTO ONE *overclockine navigatoin engine* to V12 *extreme OC* and it got 9x250fsb and ran at about 2200mhz *1800 normal* and it ran fine like tht.. but then my computer shut down cuz it had virtual memory issues and i lowered it to normal to b safe? ne troubleshooting guides?

Back