• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Easy as 1, 2, 3, Overclocking the A64, Opteron, X2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
infinitevalence, great post and very helpful but I would reccomend removing FSB from the text unless refering to older XP ERA CPUs or Intel Hardware. All clocks with A64s, Optis and Newer Semprons (754,939,940,AM2...) come directly off the core clock. Some bios settings on some mobos still mention FSB like terms but the bios converts this to AMD standards behind the scenes. These behind the scene settings may be what causes YMMV in HTT max for some people. Ex: my BFG939 maxes at 260-261, DFI and others reach 280-300+.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_13041^13043,00.html
On AMD chips you have 4 busses. 1 Address to memory, 1 data to memory, 1 internal HTB(Bus and crossbar network) and 1 external HTT. Some may consider the extra external pins for MP procs to be a buss but they are handshake/control pins and that's beyond this scope. The memory bus is internally divided off of the divider that drives the internal HTB which is how you get DDR500 from HTB/HTT 250. Some may say it's simantics but it may also mean missing out on higher OC if you don't know what's really happening with these timings. As for the external HTT it runs from it's own 1x-5x divider based on the internal HTB. The external HTT is strictly SMP and for IO purposes and driving controller chips. The main reason that all settings run on that HTT number in your BIOS is to allow the internal HTB to run in sync with the HTT and Memory busses. You might ask, why would you bump the HTT for IO up by 4x or 5x. The answer is you have one processor with several IO devices and memory to deal with. Sending data to devices on a pumped up HTT allows the HTT contoller to service all these IO devices more effectively. The IO/South bridge handles the actual IO but the HTT directs where it's going. Also remember this is also designed for SMP which allows faster than internal buss transfers and better efficiencies than the competition. Memory also allows a bump up which is now in line for newer memory technology which even with higher latancies is still a slightly better preformance since it's one hop on the databus from memory to HT and one hop to cash. Expect to see better memory that AM2 will take advantage of.

IMO, memory is being held back until Intel can get better NB chips and CPUs to market.

Dude..

Well , i think is the place to post..

I have an M2N-E with A64 (AM2) X2 4200+ and OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Gold GX XTC Dual Channel .. I read this sticky and max speeds were FSB at 2288 , ram at 380 and HTT at 1033 .. i wondering if i can a little more .

Soy1+ said:
Well , i think is the place to post..

I have an M2N-E with A64 (AM2) X2 4200+ and OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Gold GX XTC Dual Channel .. I read this sticky and max speeds were FSB at 2288 , ram at 380 and HTT at 1033 .. i wondering if i can a little more .
:welcome: to the site.

You really should start a new thread under "AMD CPUs": http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

We're always happy to help but in it's own place. Besides, you'll get more responses with your own thread and title ...

Thks !

QuietIce said:
:welcome: to the site.

You really should start a new thread under "AMD CPUs": http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

We're always happy to help but in it's own place. Besides, you'll get more responses with your own thread and title ...
Thks , i really apreciatte your time . Let´s see , i´m an argentian guy who talks and writes very poor english , so i couldn´t tell u at less THANKS FOR SITE AND ALL.

Well , thk u too men , i will do it , and again THKS FOR FIRST AND ALL !

Last edited:
Figures that I would be the one to have to ask the questions (noob).
In step one of this process I adjusted the settings in the BIOS called "CPU FSB Freq" and "processor Freq. Multiplier"(at 6X the lowest allowed) incerminting up the FSB. It all ended at 220 MHz with a crash at boot up. Runs fine at 215. My question is did I adjust the correct BIOS settings? I saw nothing in the BIOS that said anything about HTT. My step 1 sounds a lot like step 2.
Sorry for being so dense.

here are my releivate system specs.

FX-55
Asus A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
Memory Cosair Twinx 1024 x2 PC3200 LLPT timings 2 3 3 6

Thanks!

mrohde said:
Figures that I would be the one to have to ask the questions (noob).
In step one of this process I adjusted the settings in the BIOS called "CPU FSB Freq" and "processor Freq. Multiplier"(at 6X the lowest allowed) incerminting up the FSB. It all ended at 220 MHz with a crash at boot up. Runs fine at 215. My question is did I adjust the correct BIOS settings? I saw nothing in the BIOS that said anything about HTT. My step 1 sounds a lot like step 2.
Sorry for being so dense.

here are my releivate system specs.

FX-55
Asus A8N32-SLI-Deluxe
Memory Cosair Twinx 1024 x2 PC3200 LLPT timings 2 3 3 6

Thanks!
:welcome: to OC Forum!

In addition to the fine information in this thread (I used it myself :)) there is also specific information about your motherboard in this thread:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=468038

That should point you to the relevant pages in your BIOS ...

QuietIce,
Thanks for the welcome and all the great posts that you have made. Been doing the PC thing for a long time but this is my firat attempt at OC. Thanks for the help!

hi, i want to thank op for the thread as this is my first time ocing. But i need help with the last step regarding memory divider.

htt at 5x multi = 255
htt at 3x multi = 290 (i guess this is max fsb?)
mem = 245
cpu = 295 x 9, 2665

What should my final settings be for best performance? I have an asus a8n sli deluxe and the dividers are confusing the heck out of me.

I set 295 for htt/fsb at 9x cpu multi, 4x htt multi, but if i set 333mhz mem clock then my pc will not boot. Mem at 266mhz and it works fine, but that is underclocking the ram.

What gives? I thought 333mhz = 166 mhz actual clock = 5:6 divider.

Some one help plz. Thanks.

I can't translate some of the things in the OP to my motherboard, the ASUS A8N.

I found my max FSB (its called the CPU multiplier?) at 250mhz or so.

I had my HyperTransport multiplier set at 5x instead of auto.

So I put my CPU multiplier set to 9x, which would result in a near-stock clock. System won't boot. I don't get it. Do I set HyperTransport multplier to auto? This is confusing. The guide seems nicely written but I don't know enough about overclocking to be able to translate each term into whatever ASUS calls them.

he SHOULD open a new thread in the motherboard section, since it's a question about the motherboard.

I followed this guide.

Good stuff. But i'm not in for much of an overclock but I got to 270FSB unstable and 262FSB was good and stable :D

Great guide! It's really helping me understanding overclocking and what kind of overclock I should have on my system.

I do have a question regarding step one. If I want my max HTT to be held at stock 1000MHz I could skip step one all together but then how would I know what my max FSB is? Would step 3 show me this?

I'm pretty sure it will but want to double check before I started.

Thanks

EDIT: Or should I just do step one and stop when it reaches 1000Mhz?

Setsukos said:
Great guide! It's really helping me understanding overclocking and what kind of overclock I should have on my system.

I do have a question regarding step one. If I want my max HTT to be held at stock 1000MHz I could skip step one all together but then how would I know what my max FSB is? Would step 3 show me this?

I'm pretty sure it will but want to double check before I started.

Thanks

EDIT: Or should I just do step one and stop when it reaches 1000Mhz?
1000 MHz is the stock speed for the HT Link - any 939/AM2 board should do it. Personally I would test the HT Link up to 1050 or even 1100. I run at 1040 when my CPU is at 255x11 and you might want to do something similar if you're only slightly over 1000 MHz when you find your CPU's sweet spot ...

Back