• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Easy as 1, 2, 3, Overclocking the A64, Opteron, X2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here are my results xD good BIOSTAR

nvm.. it shut down for some reason after 10 seconds of prime 95.. ne suggestions or tests i can do on my PSU to make sure tht its strong enough for the job *400w*

Last edited:
I have an 80mm illuminated fan that came with the computer and my cpu fan and the gpu fan and thts it.. im about to buy 2 80 mm mascool fans *5 bucks each did research on em through www.newegg.com*

I'm using the AMD stock fan.. and i doubt tht.. i was running 22 C on stock no OC.. and yea load was around 35

Well.. i have bigger problems on my hands than overclocking right now.. like my BIOS during update screwed up.. does neone PLEZ have ne suggetions for me.. i dont want to have to buy a new board..

Last edited:
First off, great guide, right to the point. Second, I've had some problems. I found a max HTT, well, not exactly max, but I reached 1300mhz with the ldt at 5x, tested a bit with super pi and prime95, and decided that should be enough headroom. My fsb only clocks to 315, at 320, windows becomes unstable. So, that leaves the cpu and/or memory to give me issues, and wouldn't you know it, the memory wont do anything. I've kept it at stock timings(SPD in the bios), given it up to 2.8v, and in windows, superpi gives me errors, and firefox closes if i give it clocks above 250mhz(1:1 divider). That would mean it's operating at ddr500, when it's rated as ddr550 at stock timings. Did I just get a bad pair of apples here? Or is there anything else I can try? I didn't try 270mhz, but it passed the suggested Memtest tests at 265(ddr530), when I tried booting to windows, and running firefox, the browser closed randomly. So I ran superpi, and found errors. I backed down to 260, and still issues.

your going to have to look at some of your advanced timings for that :( and honestly i cant help you much with that. A64Tweaker is a nice little too that lets you play with the timings in windows.

so, I made some changes, and tested each dimm separately at 275mhz, their rated speed. They both passed all memtest86 tests, and HCI's memtest in windows. Once I put them in dual channel mode, I get errors in windows, while they pass every test in memtest86(looped all tests a couple of times with no errors). So, is there a reason i'd be getting problems in dual channel mode? Could it be a voltage issue with two dimms?

Awesome guide! If only I had payed attention. :)

Started oc'ing... Whacked one Windows install thanks to the fact that I didn't understand the fact that the memory speed is ALSO related to the "FSB". Reinstalled, and re-read the guide. Understood the mem speed/FSB relation. Still had problems understanding the HTT multi... Whack another Windows install. Re-read the guide (AGAIN). This time I payed attention. :) O'cing heaven!

I haven't OC'ed in a long time and now with my new system I am about to. Great find for me. I'm printing it out now! Thanks so much.

Just wanted to drop a quick note of thanks for your great thread!!! :thup:

Been building systems for years but never stepped into OC territory until now. I followed your step-by-step and within three days I'm running 2750 with my Opteron on stock air - I couldn't push the CPU farther without better cooling. Once that's done I'll start testing the CPU limits again and put the final equation together.

Again, thanks for the instructions. If you're ever up this way I owe you lunch or at least a couple of beers ...! :p

another way to overclock a machine? i thought this was the only way. anyhow, good guide, i like it. i never knew much about the HTT, but after reading this i kinda understand it, but i still dont understand the purpose of the HTT. what can it do if it's set high? what performances will you see increase?

Rickster said:
another way to overclock a machine? i thought this was the only way. anyhow, good guide, i like it. i never knew much about the HTT, but after reading this i kinda understand it, but i still dont understand the purpose of the HTT. what can it do if it's set high? what performances will you see increase?

Are you talking about HTT or HTT Link? HTT is supposed to be synonymous with FSB. Increasing HTT would give you the same performance gains you'd see as would increasing FSB previously.

Knight3539 said:
Are you talking about HTT or HTT Link? HTT is supposed to be synonymous with FSB. Increasing HTT would give you the same performance gains you'd see as would increasing FSB previously.

I meant by e.g. HTT = 300, HTT multiplier = 3
Therefore it would equal HTT X HTT multiplier = 900

I dont understand why it's there, and the performance it affects, and why is there stability issues if anything drastically over or below that.

(by the way what is this thingy called?)

The HT bus is what the CPU uses to communicate with the peripherals - PCI, PCIe, SATA, eIDE, ethernet, etc. So all your data (except what the CPU stores and accesses in RAM) runs across the HT bus. For comparison the PCI bus runs at 133 MHz max & AGP runs at 100 MHz (I think). With the nForce 4 chipset AGP is gone (replaced by PCIe) and PCI comes off the HT bus along with everything else ...

Last edited:
actually i understood that :D

I found out what the thing is called, the LDT thing? I have no idea what effects that will be on the system. Like everyone has to be around 1000Mhz. So by default its 5X and alot of people decrease to 3X when overclocking.

Back