• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EasyPCKits.com micro-review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crimedog

I wanted to post a micro review of Dave Brown's business here for all of you to see.

I have purchased lapping supplies from www.easypckits.com on three occasions. The first was to try it out, I got a basic kit with glass. It arrived extremely quickly, and very well packaged, and I loved what I got (especially for so cheap). The square piece of glass and same sized pieces of sandpaper were perfect for doing my heatsink (at the time a slk-800). The included instructions really helped me in doing it, and gave me some pointers that I did not know from internet research (including the ever-helpful water between the sand paper and glass 'trick').

The next time I ordered I payed for two or three 'refill' kits, just sandpaper. This time they also arrived extremely quickly, and what I got was just as great as the first time (I had kept the piece of glass). I had also emailed Dave after sending the ECheck (paypal) that I would really like to recieve it before the check cleared, I had a project I wanted to start asap. He was kind enough to send them based on our past business. There was another bonus as well, a bag of miscellaneous zip-ties and stickies. On the bag was a little note thanking me for my continued business. I was extremely pleased!

Just last week I ordered again, after seeing his post about cheap 1/2" ID tubing here at ocforums. This time I didn't really want the little kits, but instead whole sheets of sandpaper. In response to my email (did I mention that he always sends a fast, complete, and polite response?) he informed me that I would probably be better off going to a hardware/auto store and buying there. I shot him one back explaining that I don't have a car on campus, and getting out is really difficult. I asked what he thought 5 whole (printer paper sized) sheets of 800, 1000, and 1200 grit sand paper (I usually buy sinks with pretty flat bases :) ), a piece of glass that size, and 10' of tubing would cost. He let me know that he usually doesn't fill that kind of orders, he likes to stick with the small individual heatsink packages... but that since I was a returning customer he quoted me a fantastic price. I really couldn't refuse. I think I paid under 20 dollars shipped for the whole she-bang (he also included more zip ties!! :D ) My Echeck still hasn't cleared, and I recieved it today, well packaged as always.

So to sum up, Dave is the man. The transactions I've made with him have been the best I have ever made on the internet. I'm getting the same kind of service from him over the internet that I would expect if he was my neighbor.

So guys, if you're looking to lap your heatsink, you cannot go wrong with www.easypckits.com . He sure makes it easy!!

Dan

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind word, guys!

I personally buy a bunch of stuff over the Internet as well. All I'm doing is trying to treat people the way I would like to be treated myself. :D

Dave
[email protected]

Dave's lapping instructions are by far the best and if followed
closely will result in a very shiny surface.

Premuim kit results

I had a bit of trouble my first go ... a large particle scratched the
surface when I was almost done and I had to start over.
Clean, clean, and CLEAN AGAIN! :D
Since then I've used the left over paper for smaller Northbridge
sinks with great success.

Some of those other lapping guides are obviously written by
people with little or no mechanical experience.
You don't lapp a surface with your bard hand! Anyone who
expects that to come out flat is deluded. :p

And don't use those polishing compounds that some suggest
as most leave some sort of residue.
Those compounds are mostly made to polish Copper, brass, or
chrome and have some sort of waxy and/or oily additive to help
protect the surface after the job is done.
These will interfear with the thermal paste.
That's why Dave recommends using the included Ceramique
as a polish.

Last edited:
Back