• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EXPIRED EASYPCKITS Lapping Kits $4 -$13+ low shipping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just got my second kit today, double size this time. Still super high quality, fast shipping, and he throws in a freebie. Much better than visiting Ace Hardware and spending more there.

SeedTick? said:
Super nice guy and really good kit.
It's a shame that everybody you deal with ain't like Mr. Brown.
He's a throw back from yesteryear.

Hey Hey Hey Hey!!!! I resemble that remark... I just had a birthday last week. I'm afraid to say the number but it was larger than I like. I guess it beats the alternative. :)

I really appreciate all the kind words and support on here! Let's try a little experiment... from 2/13 until 2/18/06 ONLY (and the deal stops promptly at midnight on 2/18/06 - I will give away a free standard kit ($4 value) with every premium kit sold. That's a premium set of paper (9 quarter sheets), a standard set of paper (7 quarter sheets), glass, and Ceramique for the same price as a standard premium kit - $13. This will allow you to more than double the amount of lapping you can do.

Shipping remains the same at $4 for now, but I will have to move the shipping price up soon due to the new postage rates. THIS IS AN UNADVERTISED SPECIAL AND GOES WORD OF MOUTH ONLY, but is open to people in all forums. Just order a premium kit as normal and TELL ME IN THE EMAIL TEXT that you want the free standard kit and which forum led you to order. IF YOU DO NOT ASK FOR THE FREE STANDARD KIT I WILL NOT INCLUDE IT!

Thanks again everyone!

Dave Brown
[email protected]

PS - I will open this up to members of any forum as long as they let me know the forum name and where they heard about the deal.

I have one of the new AMD heatsinks with four heatpipes that I would like to lap. Is this process hard to do? I don't want to screw it up and take too much of the base off so the contact isn't very good anymore. I am sure that would take a lot of sanding to make that type of difference though. I heard the extreme mirror finish is not the best. Shiny is good, but not mirror due to taking all the pours of the metal away and not having something for the compound to go into. This an anyone can do project? :)

P.S. - Mr. Brown, I would like my military discount as well. :shrug: :p

j/k

Jared

Last edited:
MaStA said:
I have one of the new AMD heatsinks with four heatpipes that I would like to lap. Is this process hard to do? I don't want to screw it up and take too much of the base off so the contact isn't very good anymore. I am sure that would take a lot of sanding to make that type of difference though. I heard the extreme mirror finish is not the best. Shiny is good, but not mirror due to taking all the pours of the metal away and not having something for the compound to go into. This an anyone can do project? :)

P.S. - Mr. Brown, I would like my military discount as well. :shrug: :p

j/k

Jared

Thanks for the question! As long as you have a flat base and clear lapping path, you should be just fine. (some sinks have a lip on the edge, or the CPU contact area is an insert as an example)

The kit contains a sheet of 400 grit which will level everything out and take out machining marks farily quickly, then you just progress through the grit ranges. This IS pretty much an easy project, though the time required depends on the condition of your sink at the start. The key has always been water, water, and more water... keep the paper wet and rinsed well and you'll be just fine. I can lap most standard heat sinks in about 45 minutes to an hour.

The key, is of course not shininess but flatness. BUT... if you get it flat and lapped to the final grit ranges, it will be pretty shiny. The type of motion affects this as well, for instance, a circular or figure eight motion will end up less shiny than a reciprocal motion for instance.

I fully support the military personnel of the USA! Last year, I had the good fortune to be able to coordinate and ship over about $1300 worth of supplies and food, mostly from another forum I spend a lot of time on (www.tiderinsider.com, I am a Univ of Alabama graduate - Roll Tide!).

:)

Dave
[email protected]

insulglass said:
Thanks for the question! As long as you have a flat base and clear lapping path, you should be just fine. (some sinks have a lip on the edge, or the CPU contact area is an insert as an example)

The kit contains a sheet of 400 grit which will level everything out and take out machining marks farily quickly, then you just progress through the grit ranges. This IS pretty much an easy project, though the time required depends on the condition of your sink at the start. The key has always been water, water, and more water... keep the paper wet and rinsed well and you'll be just fine. I can lap most standard heat sinks in about 45 minutes to an hour.

The key, is of course not shininess but flatness. BUT... if you get it flat and lapped to the final grit ranges, it will be pretty shiny. The type of motion affects this as well, for instance, a circular or figure eight motion will end up less shiny than a reciprocal motion for instance.

I fully support the military personnel of the USA! Last year, I had the good fortune to be able to coordinate and ship over about $1300 worth of supplies and food, mostly from another forum I spend a lot of time on (www.tiderinsider.com, I am a Univ of Alabama graduate - Roll Tide!).

:)

Dave
[email protected]

Good stuff. I may jump on one of these kits shortly then. Not sure if I want to go for the premium kit and get the free standard kit or just go with a standard kit w/ glass. Hmm... :) We shall see. So are you saying circular or figure eight is better than straight as far as cooling goes? Thank you!

Jared

I bought a kit from him about 2 weeks ago. Worked really well on a SLK-900 I have. It even came with a free bag of cable ties. Although I was also wondering about the circular vs straight motion thing...

There are plenty of arguments about the type of motion. Here's what I think is the bottom line.... it doesn't much matter. :)

Circular or figure eight motion is more likely to give you a flatter surface. However, the reciprocal motion is much easier to accomplish and that's what I personally prefer. Once you get down to the single digit micron level for surface RMS measurement, the motion style is not too significant IMHO, but other people feel quite strongly about it. I just don't see much of a difference in real life measurements.

Must do's, though, regardless... lap long enough at each level to completely remove the scratches from the previous coarser grit level. Put the glass on a firm surface to prevent flexing. Use lots and lot of water and rinsing.

Dave
[email protected]

insulglass said:
There are plenty of arguments about the type of motion. Here's what I think is the bottom line.... it doesn't much matter. :)

Circular or figure eight motion is more likely to give you a flatter surface. However, the reciprocal motion is much easier to accomplish and that's what I personally prefer. Once you get down to the single digit micron level for surface RMS measurement, the motion style is not too significant IMHO, but other people feel quite strongly about it. I just don't see much of a difference in real life measurements.

Must do's, though, regardless... lap long enough at each level to completely remove the scratches from the previous coarser grit level. Put the glass on a firm surface to prevent flexing. Use lots and lot of water and rinsing.

Dave
[email protected]
Exactly my experiences/thoughts as well. Although I find it a little easier to do a circular motion sometimes, especially if the base if the heatsink is much longer than it is wide.
I purchased one of these kits a while back and was 100% satisfied.

Here is a lapping guide I wrote for anyone interested.
I also mentioned in there that easyPCkits is a great place for lapping kits and supplies ;)

gvblake22 said:
Exactly my experiences/thoughts as well. Although I find it a little easier to do a circular motion sometimes, especially if the base if the heatsink is much longer than it is wide.
I purchased one of these kits a while back and was 100% satisfied.

Here is a lapping guide I wrote for anyone interested.
I also mentioned in there that easyPCkits is a great place for lapping kits and supplies ;)

Thank you for that guide you wrote. Now I just have to order me one and give it a shot on this stock AMD heatpipe cooler. :attn:

Thanks,
Jared

Just got mine. Thank you so much Dave for the outstanding service.

You need to get in to the PC business. With your service, you'd make a killing.

glasslicker said:
You need to get in to the PC business. With your service, you'd make a killing.

Dave makes little if any money on the kits, if he sold PC equipment on the same profit scale he has now, he'd be bankrupt in a week. :santa:

I ordered a Premium lapping set during the time he was offering his Valentines "bonus pack" special to OCF members, and the bonus kit was inadvertently left out of the shipment, most likely due to the sheer volume he was experiencing.

I contacted Dave via PM and he got back with me quickly and not only made good on the bonus, but he also sent an extra bonus kit as a sweetener. I didn't ask for anything extra...he just surprised me with it. He went beyond the great deal that he had already made available to us.

As has already been said many times around here, you just can't beat Dave's business ethics and customer service and I just wanted to publicly thank him.

WOW...After reading this thread and the one where Krag was trying to fix some poor blokes opty, i think i need to do more charity work or something...

once i work up the funds(i don't have them from buyinh a new GPU) i'm just gonna have to buy 1 of these for my zalman 7000alcu and 1 for before i attach a A64 heatsink i have lying around to the 7900gt.

Back