• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EFFING 9800 pro!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prankstar008

I have a saphire 9800 pro with an R360 core and samsung memory. After reading about how wonderful an overclocker this card is, I bought a VGA silencer with the hopes of softmodding my card to an XT. With stock cooling this card could not overclock at all. If I used ATI tool's "find max core" setting and left the comp alone for an hour, ATI tool would acctualy lower my stock core speed. Now that I have my silencer installed I can get almost 400 for my core, but then nothing but artifacts. Is there something I can do, or do I just have a crappy overclocker. BTW its 128MB RAM and 256 bit

EDIT: if it maked any difference, I used AS5 on the silencer rather than the provided silicon paste

If you could not overclock the pro at all before the VGA silencer then chances are you just got unlucky and got a poor overclocker. I would not recommend softmodding if you cannot reach at least 412 on the core which is the XT default clock. At least you have better cooling now and can OC the Pro a little.

Just clock mod the XT BIOS to whatever you can oc to. Just having the BIOS unlocks extra shader features and gives you more speed.

So your saying flash the XT BIOS and then underclock the card.....I wouldnt have a prob with that except how do I flash the XT BIOS w/o chang9ing the clock speed because I know if i just flash, and the BIOS sets the clock to XT speeds for even 1 sec..the card will crash :(

prankstar008 said:
So your saying flash the XT BIOS and then underclock the card.....I wouldnt have a prob with that except how do I flash the XT BIOS w/o chang9ing the clock speed because I know if i just flash, and the BIOS sets the clock to XT speeds for even 1 sec..the card will crash :(
edit the xt BIOS before flashing to speeds you can do ;)

Back