• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EKWB material using aluminum even though it says copper?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sigh, its solder, the only way to get down to the copper on the ends is to CUT into it. scraping it will do nothing. touching it with a hot soldering iron wont melt it. even if you heated it up to red hot with a torch it wouldnt re-flow it would just burn and discolor. again, if you really want to know where the copper is cut it open and see for yourself.

And as I said - it could well be copper underneath and you're probably right since the chance of it not being copper is probably slim. Up until now it just weirds me out that I scratched it like a moron and I just see silvery reflection. (And holding a soldering iron against it did nothing, but that can very well be due to the thermal conductivity)
I'll keep you posted if it's not copper and I'll also tell you if I made an elephant out of a fly.

@Blaylock - my only suspicion is that, if it actually isn't copper, there is some china seller that produces with alu to save on materials and sells as ekwb. but since that's more in the area of tin(-foil hat theory), I'll stick to "I'm baffled by how it looks and it's probably copper even though all my testing showed otherwise so far

Well if it is aluminum you pretty much have a lawsuit, if you absolutely want to prove it is aluminum put a drop of liquid metal (any brand), where you scratched the paint off the metal and leave it overnight, if it is aluminum by morning there will be a hole in it. If it is not aluminum the liquid metal will have no effect.

Well if it is aluminum you pretty much have a lawsuit, if you absolutely want to prove it is aluminum put a drop of liquid metal (any brand), where you scratched the paint off the metal and leave it overnight, if it is aluminum by morning there will be a hole in it. If it is not aluminum the liquid metal will have no effect.

a lawsuit over a $80 radiator? :escape:

Well.. disappointing news.. I did not test it further than scratching it somewhere in the middle of the tube - still only silvery, but decided to f*** it and use it.
According to EKWB:

"[...] it's the one of the newer version since we changed the design a little bit so the holes and ports a bit as well (minor changes), but still that thing in the radiator is not silver but the metal that can be found in every our Copper radiator, it's just not of the same color as the Copper. [...] You got the right radiator in this case. Those were silent updates we did and the radiator can easily be used with the Copper loop without any worries you might have for any metal mixing, you can trust us on this. We talked with our QC department on this case of yours and they confirmed that the silver looking like metal is not Silver but the Copper tube that spreads the heat over the fins and it's not covered in any sort of nickel or other non-matching metal that can not be used with the Copper."

Not a too satisfying answer since they don't mention solder and reassure me that it's not "Silver" - which I obviously never said, otherwise I'd be pretty happy having a silver rad.

So I simply trusted that info, did not RMA it even though to this day I have no idea what kind of copper is silver colored. I accepted that I scratched it a bit. Shouldn't be a problem.

btw if someone's interested.. that's what it went into:

custom mini ITX build, lasercut, welded together, shortened all PSU cables to fit exactly.
i7 8700k, gtx 1080 Ti mini, seasonic passive 600w PSU, samsung 970 evo m.2, 32gig CL14 3200 ram, separate loops for cpu and gpu, outlets for refilling on the front (from some sanitary department, since having a T-piece outlet for each loop would have cost around 80€ for both with all the parts and that one cost 7€ - just had to seal it with silicone glue)
Temps at idle are ~28°C
When playing GTA V on 2k ultra for an hour ~45°C
CPU and GPU pretty much same temp.

20181230_163552.jpg

Still thinking about my original plan to CNC a full-wood outer shell with acrylic windows, but the unfinished raw metal look kind of grew on me, so it'll probably stay that way. Will have to blow out dust from time to time.
The cables running out are just my old SSD dangling down for some data copy and the on/off clicker
If anyone's interested I can elaborate.

Last edited:
you are gtg. ek wouldnt be stupid enough to mix metals in one of their copper rads. i think the cs dude just doesnt know much about what it is hes trying to convey. if it were a qc guy im sure the verbage would be a bit different lol.
your case looks good that way. you could always paint it and/or screw on some plexi windows if you wanted to try and keep dust and dirt out. well done!

Back