• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EKWB Performance & Extreme Kits vs Custom

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M@rk

Hello Everyone!
I finally got money for a custom loop and want to buy one.
I want to overclock for competitions and have the best cooling possible and also it not being too loud cause it will be in my main rig. (Also it needs to be 120x2)

I Was thinking about EKWB Performance and Extreme kits and researching them and cant decide which one to choose (10$ difference doesnt matter) The Extreme kit offers better cooling cause its 60mm thick rad compared to the Performance kits 40mm thick rad, But more fins = more noise. Also the Extreme kit has a DDC pump and EK-RES X3 150res while the Performance kit has pump reservoir combo (EK-XRES 140 Revo D5)

Also i dont really know what parts to get if i want it custom cause ive just started reading about custom loops today.

Thanks for the help and have a nice day :)

Verify that the 60mm thick rad will fit in your case especially when mounting up top.

Verify that the 60mm thick rad will fit in your case especially when mounting up top.

How can i check if it can fit? Couldnt find anything about it in the case specs and didnt find someone talking about installing 60mm rad in the haf922 case

you can make a cardboard cutout the same size as the rad plus fans (85mm) and see if it fits.

Not sure what you're creating a loop for as in system specs as that will help us determine which direction you should take.

Also, careful with these kits as some come with weak pumps. For example, one kit comes with a 6w DDC as opposed to the more powerful 18w DDC (MCP 3.x/MCP35x, etc).

Like from the top of the case to the mobo?

Yes from the mounting surface at the top of your case to the mobo, ram, CPU Power plug, or anything else that might cause an interference. Keep in mind you will also have fittings coming down from the rad at one end or the other depending on how it's mounted.

Not sure what you're creating a loop for as in system specs as that will help us determine which direction you should take.

Also, careful with these kits as some come with weak pumps. For example, one kit comes with a 6w DDC as opposed to the more powerful 18w DDC (MCP 3.x/MCP35x, etc).

System specs are in my sig (Main Rig) and Yeah i look at the pumps and the Extreme kit has the 18w version of the DDC pump. The Performance kit have the pump res combo and its a D5 pump and is 23w.

Yes from the mounting surface at the top of your case to the mobo, ram, CPU Power plug, or anything else that might cause an interference. Keep in mind you will also have fittings coming down from the rad at one end or the other depending on how it's mounted.

Ive checked and the first thing that gets in the way is the heatsink for the chokes and the 4pin CPU power cable. Its right on the 65mm mark. I guess i will have to go with the 40mm rad which is the Performance kit, Or if i go with the 60mm rad i will have to put the fans on top of the case in a pull only configuration which i think isnt the best..

40 +25 for fan might still be tight . make a template for that as well or maybe you can drill new holes in the top to offset the rad a bit more

40 +25 for fan might still be tight . make a template for that as well or maybe you can drill new holes in the top to offset the rad a bit more
Dont think off setting it will help but ill check, what i can do is put the rad ontop of the case and put the fans in the case below the rad, There will be less airflow but i can put bigger server fans if i want to cause there will be space for them.

I will also do a cartboard cutout for it to see if there is space.
Thanks.

you can make a cardboard cutout the same size as the rad plus fans (85mm) and see if it fits.

This is exactly the thing I should have done: built a cardboard mockup to check the fit of various things as closely as possible.

Bob

Back