• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Engine Showdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which Next Generation Engine do you think will be the best?

• Total voters
Grov said:
The Far Cry engine is sweet, shame it suffers from bad performance even on high end machines sometimes, and it's bug ridden.

HL2 looks sweet, especially character models.

UT20004 engine is sweet as it can produce huge environments, and lots of polygons.

I don't know what your talking about, If I close all my background programs I can run far cry at 1600x1200 paridise render mode with all options turned on at 40 FPS on my 9800 Pro that is OCed just a little

Half life 2 will be the best (except for Unreal 3 which should not be counted)

I will have to agree about doom3 looking to shiny I would like to see something rendered in doom 3 with lighting effects similar to HL2 and not so much dark

Vipasnipa said:
You'll notice that hanging lights do the same thing in Farcry =)

Well.. um... Doom 3 does it better! :bday:

JK.

I don't have Farcry, i went to my local EB to pick up a game, and i was torn between Halo, Farcry, and Painkiller. I chose painkiller because Painkiller because Halo 2'll be out, and so Halo 1 might see a price drop and i could wait for Halo 2 for PC. I would've gotten farcry, but it comes with everything now, so i'll just get it some way later.

Doom 3's "shininess" i think is in part to do with the fact that it's a space station.. and everything is metal. But yea, stuff is certainly shiny in that game.

Chowdy said:
Well.. um... Doom 3 does it better! :bday:

JK.

I don't have Farcry, i went to my local EB to pick up a game, and i was torn between Halo, Farcry, and Painkiller. I chose painkiller because Painkiller because Halo 2'll be out, and so Halo 1 might see a price drop and i could wait for Halo 2 for PC. I would've gotten farcry, but it comes with everything now, so i'll just get it some way later.

Doom 3's "shininess" i think is in part to do with the fact that it's a space station.. and everything is metal. But yea, stuff is certainly shiny in that game.

If you're gonna wait for Halo 2 on PC, you'll be waiting for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. ;)

YellowDart said:
If you're gonna wait for Halo 2 on PC, you'll be waiting for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. ;)

lol

Hey, am I missing something? I remeber Far Cry indoor levels like on that ship were very shiny like they had a glossy film. I don't see that in DIII. Things are shiny like metal, kind of a dull shine, but not a glossy shine like some of Far Cry's indoor levels, right?

Hope there isn't a problem with my card.

Metallic object, like doors for instance, in DIII do have a glossy shine if there's a light right over them. But that's realistic.

its not the metal, its the people, monsters etc. it looks like everyone is wet or something.

TheGreySpectre said:
I don't know what your talking about, If I close all my background programs I can run far cry at 1600x1200 paridise render mode with all options turned on at 40 FPS on my 9800 Pro that is OCed just a little

Course you can sweetheart.

Strange, I don't notice much in the way of glossy character/monster models. You might want to try what DMac said about turning the gamma down.

I read somewhere that the shininess can be partly blamed on the bump and normalmapping used in Doom 3.
Also what will we do if Half-Life 2 never comes out.... that is just how it seems to be going right now

maybe it is my gama, but i HAD to turn it up, i just could not see where i was going, i realize this is a dark game, but i dont like running into walls all the time. but i definatly see a gloss to the character models. like i said, the game is absolutely gorgeous, i just wish the characters didnt have the gloss to them.

kyleboy77 said:
I read somewhere that the shininess can be partly blamed on the bump and normalmapping used in Doom 3.
Also what will we do if Half-Life 2 never comes out.... that is just how it seems to be going right now

The key word there is "seems". There is no way its not coming out, barring a major natural disaster or world wide nuclear war.

If you want to see more of Doom3, grab a flashlight mod, I was playing with one in a new file, and it makes it easier, but not as scary.

9mmCensor said:
If you want to see more of Doom3, grab a flashlight mod, I was playing with one in a new file, and it makes it easier, but not as scary.

Is that the one for lower powered guns or does it mod all (reasonable) weapons?

snyper1982 said:
maybe it is my gama, but i HAD to turn it up, i just could not see where i was going, i realize this is a dark game, but i dont like running into walls all the time. but i definatly see a gloss to the character models. like i said, the game is absolutely gorgeous, i just wish the characters didnt have the gloss to them.

That "gloss" is a technique used to highlight the bumpmapping or added 3d textures on models . Withou that extra shine most bumpmapped effects wouldn't be noticeable .

Grov said:
Course you can sweetheart.

:rolleyes: Don't hate on the guy just cause he's got sweet *** performance in FarCry. I can do damn near the same thing. @ 1600x1200 w/ all settings on high, I can avg in the upper 20's-low 30's fps in FarCry using the setup in my sig. It's not impossible. ;)

Back