• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

enough psu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I just loaded a fully watercooled sabertooth 990fx R2.0 board and 8350, that makes 4 blocks, into my test bench :thup:.
gpu is a gtx970
pump, d5
rad fans, 3 +1 for the board.
psu is a 430 evga
and yes, I'm breaking my rules and using a two molex to 6+2 pcie adapter :facepalm:.
the rig never posts, it gets to the cpu led on the board, stays there a minute, then winks off, never spins a fan, I can't tell if it's spinning the pump.
I suspect the psu is not going to even post this thing and all my other rigs, with larger psu's are up and running, doing things for a while and the one I can rob stuff from is another 430..........:eek:
does this sound like a psu issue to you?

Could be, but I would think it would at least boot at stock speeds.

I have leaned on this psu to the point of shut down many, many times before and this is the same shutdown from overload, it just winks out.
my thinking is I have just overloaded it too many times and ocp is getting a little hair trigger or it knows what's coming and just bails..........

ok, jumping it out of the case it will run a fan, so it's alive..........some.

searching for an air cooler now.

well, pulling the psu out and putting it back in, it now its with the cup led and power light on, spinning the fans, it does not shut right down, off to motherboards to ask a question.

late last night I pulled it and hooked it up to one of my thuban rigs, the psu is fine, ran some ibt @4.0.

C_d look at the back of psu and see what the single 12v rail is rated for (i am guessing 30+) then figure what the 970 needs (thinking 40+) if the single rail is rated for more than 40 amps not the psu but if it a $30 psu can you really trust it? more info would help

the psu is fine, it's rocking my 965 and gtx 970 like the little champ it's always been.
I suspect the board just didn't like the ride the post office gave it, not the first time that's happened, won't be the last.
He sounds like he wants the kit back, offered full refund and pay shipping back, shows the stand up guy he is, but I hope he lets me handle the rma and keep it as I have a crosshair that's heating the vrms so I need to get that one a bath and rebuild it, and at the moment I don't have a spare I can stuff in it's place!!!!

Back