• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED, no Internet, please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I went to cmd and typed the command correctly: "netsh winsock reset" and it says "The requested operation requires elevation <Run as administrator>. I am on the user account that is the administrator. What do I do?

You have to run the command prompt as administrator (elevated). Go to the start menu, type "cmd". It will show in the list. Right click the entry and "run as administrator".

I've tried running "netsh winsock reset" in the commad prompt but it brings up this message, "The requested operation requires elevation <Run as Administrator>.

My question is, How do I work in the command prompt as an administrator? My account on my laptop is the only one and I double checked to make sure that it is set up as an administrator.

If it helps, when I enter the command prompt it starts as " C:\Users\Tyler "

i tried the netsh winsock reset thing as an administrator but cannot get rid of my name on command line and i get an error that says netsh winsock reset is not recognized as an internal or external command

Another satisfied customer !
I joined just to say thank you.
netsh winsock reset (and a reboot)
from the DOS CMD shell worked immediately for me after a day of frustration.

I didn't change anything to be ADMIN, but my user is an ADMIN.

For the record, an automatic Windows 7 update occurred at 3am last night, which may have been the culprit. I saw the update as I was restoring my computer from a checkpoint backup (which didn't help). I'm running on 64bit Windows 7.

Also, Google Chrome shows the error "ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED", not sure if IE or FireFox does. When I was having the No Internet problem, I was still able to ping www.yahoo.com and get to all of my home networked devices. IPCONFIG /All looked normal to me. IPCONFIG /flushdns or /renew got me nowhere.

Anyway....netsh winsock reset did it. Thank you !

Joepa,
In the DOS shell, when it shows your user name as "c:\user\joepa>", just type CD \ <Enter>.
I looked for netsh.exe on my Windows 7 box for you and found it under Windows\system32.
Good luck

Last edited:
Tried it all. Still no internet. It is connected. Getting this message. "netsh is not recognized as an internal or external command". Any suggestions?

I have getting the ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED can u tell me why it occurs

Just wanted to take a minute to say thanks...almost went and got a new network card cause disabling reenabling worked the first few times.

Thanks for having forum and a solution.. i will frequent this more often. (I am one of the google finders....)

thanks for trying but i found a fix, i opened cmd and typed
Code:
netsh winsock reset
restarted my computer and it started working again.
:D
Thanks so much for your post. I worked on this problem for at least 10 hours before I found your post. rest winsock and WAM done...

Thanks again

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\RAKESH>cd c:\

c:\>cd c
The system cannot find the path specified.

c:\>netshwinsockreset
'netshwinsockreset' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

c:\>netsh winsock reset
The requested operation requires elevation (Run as administrator).

c:\>

FYI you can edit posts ;)

Anyway, hit the start button, then type in cmd
then press ctrl shift and enter at the same time. Then click yes.

Then type in netsh winsock reset

Also, to change into the C:\ drive type in
cd C:

Back