• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ESD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
You may agree or disagree but watch these, this thread is not for discussion but to give information on ESD, I will not respond to any post to this thread. In 1 video you will find that people have been killed because of ESD.

There's ~2 hours worth of video covering ESD made in the 70s(?)...cliff's notes? TIA for an executive summary, lol.

What is there not to agree with on ESD? What's going on here? lol

ESD resulted in me having to rebuild my whole PC after installing a 2nd exhaust fan. As in out the case naked on the mobo box. I have an ESD strap now.:) Also feel slightly trollied. Is this the optimum time for overclocking?

Last edited:
I have killed piles of gear of various types over the years, but I cant recall ever killing something with an ESD. Not denying that it happens because it definitely does. I just have been lucky enough to avoid that situation.

While ESD can be a serious issue, I treat it like I do anti-virus... a little common sense goes a long way. :)

I also haven't killed anything (or anyone) by ESD. I don't use straps... just touch something grounded before working on electronics (a little of that common sense).

Masochism masked under the guise of saving electronics?? :rofl:

"Kick me in the Jimmy........ AGAIN!"

WhitehawEQ and I were discussing this just last night. I've never used a ground strap and I don't know anyone who has. I and my co-workers are regularly inside computers and haven't killed any hardware that I'm aware of. This fact leads me to not bother with it.

The only item that I did kill with static was a USB drive. I can specifically remember holding the USB drive as I walked up to a machine on my bench. I plugged the USB stick in and felt a shock as I inserted it. The drive failed. This is NOT an instance where anyone is expected to ware anti-ESD or ESD which ever is the proper term here.

Now to be clear, I'm not saying that ESD isn't a thing. It is. However, I've not been adversely affected by it thus I neglect to pay attention to it.

I watched a friend zap a HTPC with a USB drive once. Heard the pop as he started to insert the drive to the front & the PC shut down. It didn't kill the PC but the mobo was certainly affected by the ESD. He eventually RMAed the mobo & all the problems went away.

I gotta think that if you get zapped like that on a running PC that the grounding is shite all around or something. I don't know but I think it.

Is that so wrong?
I just want to be loved.......... (John Lovitz and that SNL skit, hilarious!!!).

I guess I'm just not sure what there is to prove here. ESD exists and can be dangerous (water is wet!)! That doesn't mean I'll kill all my parts if I'm not wearing a strap, however. Some people may need it more than others due to their environment though. I can't tell you how willy-nilly I treat the motherboard/gpu/ram/M.2 samples (in the scope of ESD). Over the last decade and change of reviewing, I haven't killed anything like from ESD. Call it luck... or call it varying levels of caring and managing risk. :)

It didn't kill the PC but the mobo was certainly affected by the ESD.
That can happen no doubt. We're seeing ethernet ports and more with ESD protection on it to prevent those issues. I'm sure it prevents a small (but worthy) RMA % and is cheap to implement, so why not.

That can happen no doubt. We're seeing ethernet ports and more with ESD protection on it to prevent those issues. I'm sure it prevents a small (but worthy) RMA % and is cheap to implement, so why not.
Now that's an interesting idea. Manufacturers too know that this is a thing and can feel it in thier profits. Resulting in electrical engineers finding ways to mitigate the issue. Hmm.. I like it.

Last edited:
I've taken out a motherboard USB port with ESD. My story is basically the same as Don's. I went to plug in a flash drive and zapped the port. In my case instead of killing the drive it took out the port. I don't recall now if it was all the ports or just the one.

Back