• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ESxi box build - go easy!! =D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MieV

Hey i want to build a ESXi box for my own virtual lab. I am hoping to run about 8-10 Vm's, exchange server,file server,DC server i want to be able to use server2008r2,2012r2, Exchange 2010,2013. I also want about 4 desktop vms to test any configuration and ultimately simulate a small production environment. Later down the line maybe testing virtualized hosted desktops but i don't have much experience with that.

My proposed build so far:

Case:corsair 240 air M-ATX
cpu:Xeon e3 1246v3
RAM:16gb/32gb RAM ECC/ non ECC not yet decided.
Motherboard: need 4 slots for ram and also dependant on whether i choose ECC or not.
PSU: i was looking at 300w 80+ but i may need to go higher i am not sure, i will only have a igpu and a possible 4 HDD's.
cooling: sticking with as many fans as i can fit in the case =D preferably silent.

I have a SSD already lying around so dont need to worry about one of those.

Ideally i don't want to go over 500/600£, i appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

You need to decide on the ecc or not. A 4790k will outperform the 1246 at a similar cost( unless prices are hugely different in UK??)

I'm sure i read somewhere that for home network labs ECC is overkill but i didn't want to limit myself if that wasn't the case. I have been pointed in the direction of 1245 v3.

regarding prices in uk 4790k - £257.93
xeon 1246 v 3 - £261.00

From how i plan to use the esxi box do you think i would need the ECC, i do plan on having a file server. Problem is when i choose ECC the motherboards seem to become a bit scarce.

I haven't priced DDR3 ECC, but unless the cost is similar to non-ECC, I wouldn't worry about it for a test lab personally. The 4790k will perform about the same (if not a little better) clock for clock than the Xeon, but with the Xeon you have the ability to use ECC if you decide to use it in a production setting in the future where data integrity is critical. A 4790k build is a more 'general purpose' build, and will give you slightly better performance, and finding a motherboard that fits your needs will be a little easier for it.

Also, I'd be inclined to get a large power supply. Not that this machines anything more, but since you're getting a standard ATX supply anyway, there's no reason not to get something a little beefier that can handle additional load in the event you add want to turn this thing into a gaming rig in the future, or add a ton of additional devices.

Realistically, you can't go wrong either way.

Will I need to get a higher w psu for the 4790k, also will this cpu cope with 10 vms better then xeon andbe able to stay on 24/7 and require same cooling.

The direction I ended up going is a dual processor board (EATX personally, but ATX is available) and 32GB of RAM from the Socket 1366 era. I was able to buy the two CPUs, HSFs, RAM, and motherboard together for about $350. The CPUs are each 4c/8t and have a 45w TDP.

Check out the X8DTI motherboard and a couple L5630 (or similar) CPUs. You could get away with likely a 300-400W power supply with that, but you would have to check that it has enough necessary connections (dual CPU 8pin plugs were required on mine)

I haven't priced DDR3 ECC, but unless the cost is similar to non-ECC, I wouldn't worry about it for a test lab personally. The 4790k will perform about the same (if not a little better) clock for clock than the Xeon, but with the Xeon you have the ability to use ECC if you decide to use it in a production setting in the future where data integrity is critical. A 4790k build is a more 'general purpose' build, and will give you slightly better performance, and finding a motherboard that fits your needs will be a little easier for it.

Also, I'd be inclined to get a large power supply. Not that this machines anything more, but since you're getting a standard ATX supply anyway, there's no reason not to get something a little beefier that can handle additional load in the event you add want to turn this thing into a gaming rig in the future, or add a ton of additional devices.

Realistically, you can't go wrong either way.

Clock for clock, sure. This is where I point out the 4790k is clocked SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the xeon...it'll matter for virtualization.

Janus's idea has some interesting benefits too.

Although 4790k doesn't support Vt-d

The cost of ECC memory isn't bad overall. I picked up my 32GB of ECC RAM (1333mhz) in 8x4GB for about $150.

Granted, I bought all of my parts on ebay, for what it's worth.

Although 4790k doesn't support Vt-d

The cost of ECC memory isn't bad overall. I picked up my 32GB of ECC RAM (1333mhz) in 8x4GB for about $150.

Granted, I bought all of my parts on ebay, for what it's worth.

True. Is this required for a home brew you think?

I would say it doesn't hurt and the cost isn't bad either. If the OP is going to use a file system (ZFS, etc) it is also recommended to use ECC memory.

I haven't actually used ZFS before, is it something i would need ?. I just want to have a closed lab environment to practice on virtualized servers and desktops, ranging from all kinds of operating systems and servers and maybe have it going 24/7. The 4790k not having VT-D a game changer? and where would i use ZFS in my scenario.

Having ECC would limit me the options to what mobo i need.

Also i didn't realise when buying the case that people on forums have said it benefits from fan air cooling systems rather than watercooling, so am i better off with a NH-D9L or H100i. Also taking into account overclocking not that its recommended for virtualization but what would be the best type of cooling system to pick if i went down that route? and would it be stable for virtualization.

Thanks for the input tho got me thinking =D

ZFS would only benefit you in a production type environment where data integrity and speed are paramount. For a test lab, nothing on your array should be irreplaceable so I wouldn't worry about it unless you just want to go that route for the learning experience. Overclocking is something I wouldn't do in a production environment, but again, in a test lab it doesn't really matter. If you can get your CPU rock solid stable, there's no reason not to overclock in that scenario. I'd stick with air cooling, personally. Never used that case but it is targeted for air cooled setups, so I imagine that would be your best option. (Not to say you couldn't use an H100i or whatever).

Last thing, the vd-t not being supported is that a game changer for virtualization? And the RAM is their a brand type i should stick with, like corsair vengeance? and should i be worried about profile in this case :p

Last thing, the vd-t not being supported is that a game changer for virtualization? And the RAM is their a brand type i should stick with, like corsair vengeance? and should i be worried about profile in this case :p

Typically in a business environment I would think it would be. Since you're running one machine and have direct access to everything I would say no.

That aside, this may be a good case to use amd, no?

Last edited:
I haven't done a great deal of research on Am, I would of thought 1246 v3 xeon would of been a better choice then amd ?

I haven't done a great deal of research on Am, I would of thought 1246 v3 xeon would of been a better choice then amd ?

Ironically amd is very compatible with virtualization. This is a situation where it's worth considering. One of the few instances where a 9590 wouldn't be a bad choice.

Is it possible to have a mobo enabled vt-d and do the job that a cpu vt-d would do?

Is it possible to have a mobo enabled vt-d and do the job that a cpu vt-d would do?

No, you need to have both CPU and Motherboard supporting VT-d.

AMD 990fx naturally supports IOMMU which is pretty much the same as VT-D which is why I suggested you at least think about it.

Thanks for suggestions, looks like i will have to go back to the drawing board.

Been researching and people been saying that 4790k has vt-d.
Also on the intel ark site for 4790k

Virtualization Technology (VT-x) ‡ Yes
Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) ‡ Yes
Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT) ‡ Yes

Am i reading this wrong ?

Back