• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eureka!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Camacho111

I found a cheap way to clean heatsink fins.

As I was going through my mom stuff I found tobacco pipe cleaners. They look like a piece of wire with soft brush like bristles. Home crafters use them often too. Not sure if this was a subject before....

I just attach one of those brush attachments to my vacuum cleaner, turn the vacuum on and put it on the heatsink (with the fan removed) -- move it up and down a few times, and I'm done.

Make sure you clean those air filters of your vaccuum before you use it :p

... was wondering why my vaccuum didn't suck so much.

the best way to clean the copper fins is to submerge the entire heatsink with ketch and rinse it off. Not it will clean the heatsink but it will also deoxide it.......deoxidization = better performance....

how hard is it to get the "ketch" off?

btw... are you refering to heatsinks? cause i think he was talking about air filters...

BioTuned said:
the best way to clean the copper fins is to submerge the entire heatsink with ketch and rinse it off. Not it will clean the heatsink but it will also deoxide it.......deoxidization = better performance....
What about vinegar? Wouldnt that be even better? I've used vinegar to clean things like that before and in the morning it literally looks like new...Never tried it on a HS though.
I usually use the vacuum cleaner method.

Back