• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED ever heard of defective heatpipes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sure if the heatpipe breaks, the whole concept goes down the drain, and it becomes significantly less effective.. think of heating in a home, if a pipe breaks how does the boiler's heat get transfered throughout the house...

Iv'e heard of a few, but relly never had proof, like the Manu said "3 out of 4 heat pipes had lost vaccuum during the manufacturing process" etc.

I could happen I guess. A leak in a pipe or a crack, or not enough fluid added, or the wicking material was missed,.

well, there are a few people as well as me reporting that evga gtx460 ee version is having high temps of gpu after around 8 months and no one is being able to tell why, except for,as you guessed, heatpipe could be it,thats what they told me

well, there are a few people as well as me reporting that evga gtx460 ee version is having high temps of gpu after around 8 months and no one is being able to tell why, except for,as you guessed, heatpipe could be it,thats what they told me

what about the drying TIM?
will there be any luck after replacing the TIM for the card?

replacing the stock cooler with the aftermarket one cooler still would be the best choice (even with the 2nd hand one), IMO :)

I do seem to remember a thread here, maybe a couple years ago, where someone was having some troubles with high temps on a TR cooler, which ended up getting RMA'd to Thermalright. It may have been a base quality issue, since the first few TRUE's did require lapping, but I think it came down to a heatpipe issue. It could be something as simple as a crack in one of the pipes, or maybe not enough solder at the open end of the pipe, but as far as I can tell, defective heatpipes are either rare, or just not mentioned very often online.

so i guess it is possible, is there a way i can test and see if the heatpipe is actually defective? other than checking for cracks etc

Heatpipes CAN fail. I don't know how to test. I HAVE seen wild perf differences from product X to clone product X that have no other exp than perfect vs imperfect pipes.

Perhaps if you submerged the heatsink in (distilled!) water, and looked for bubbles? Then blow dried it? (this will not leave any residue. Tap water, depending on hardness, will, so use a very soft water. Aquafina by pepsi qualifies, or any distilled or R/O water. Available at most pharmacies and any aquarium store)

You could also try heating the base up with a hairdryer and feeling the heatpipes to see if all seem to be getting hot at the same rate. I would think a defective heatpipe wouldn't heat as fast as a good one. Or conversely, hold an ice cube to the base and then check to see if they are getting cold equally.

sigh, heatpipes look fine and all, its just so confusing, i think ill sell this damn card!

Have you considered looking into one of the Arctic Cooling Accelero style coolers? I think they usually run around $30-40 new, but a lot of times you can find them for half that, used. For another $5 or so, you could slap on a Yate Loon low speed, and have a much quieter card as well. I am not sure how it would compare to stock, but it may help some.

Also, if it is an EVGA card, and has the lifetime warranty, you could try RMA'ing the card, if it isn't too much hassle. The only thing they ask is that the stock cooler is on the card when it is returned.

trust me i would, if i wasn't living in lebanon, the place i buy it from provides only 1 year warranty and i recently ran out,no one sells aftermarket coolers for graphic cards,only cpu (someone might bring some but too expensive 60-70$) i might just as well sell the whole thing, what if its not a heatsink problem and a problem on the pcb? i can't risk it :\
i cannot ship a cooler from outside either (don't ask why)

if a heat pipe isn't assembled in a clean, controlled environment it can easily ship with non-condensible gasses inside. this can also happen over time if there is a leak or fracture. the build up of gas will end up blocking off a portion of the condenser section and hurt its ability to dissipate the heat.

i think drying up TIM is more likely. in order to keep the bottom line down, companies will scrimp where they can, such as by using cheap-o thermal grease. my buddy's asus laptop started heating up about 6 months after he got it. after some research and looking under the hood, the cpu heatsink TIM (or lack thereof...it was gone) was the culprit.

nono, the card was applied with mx4 with the right method,im just gonna sell the darn thing, settings this thread as solved now

Back