• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 980ti Hybrid cooling/SLI questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adambean

Registered
Hey all,

I am setting up this card and curious ... can I change the fan? The power is connected to the GPU, so I'm wondering if the card doesn't control its own fan? I wanted to swap for a Thermaltake Riing, which wouldn't support using the supplied power line from the card.

Further, in the event of someday I move to a SLI configuration... does it have to be the same exact card? If so, that makes me nervous as I may not have an optimal spot for a second radiator with my Enthoo Luxe ...

Thanks

I assume the fan is changable just by removing screws and screwing in a new fan, would be surprising to see otherwise. The fan that connects to the GPU is likely using a PWM connection to let the GPU power it and control the speed as necessary. If you put in a new one that went to a fan header on the motherboard or uses a 4pin molex it should be fine as well.

If you go SLI cards do not have to be the same, as long as they are the same model (980ti + 980ti). Of note, generally the two cards synchronize in SLI (and in AMD's crossfire) to run at the speed of the slower card to not have inconsistencies.

Thank you! The fan will be going to a controller, so I'd assume it'll work, but obviously the GPU won't be able to control its speed. Assuming I'm not stupid with OC'ing, it should be fine tho right?

Thanks!

Yeah it should be fine. Generally GPUs don't care whether or not they can tell if a fan is plugged in as long as it is staying cool enough. If they did people would have issues installing water blocks on their GPUs :)

Back