• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA fx5700 ultra at Best Buy (limited edition DDR II)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
TomaHawk47x said:
can anyone confirm whether or not the gainward "golden sample" 5700u used ddr or ddr2....newegg and their site on say 128mb DDR.

It is DDR2

check out

http://www.gainward.de/

As for games I am only playing C&C generals at present and it fine of course, but see

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/digest3d/index.html

current games it is is faster, DX9 games probably slower unless lots coding for nvidia by the developers I would guess.

Regards

Andy

zakelwe said:

current games it is is faster, DX9 games probably slower unless lots coding for nvidia by the developers I would guess.

Regards

Andy

how many dx9 intensive games will be coming out in the next 1-2 years?

walldow said:

LOL! the office! sounds like they couldn't afford a fx setup, so they had to talk there boss into getting one! now there using it for benching.how lame! well i guess thats one way to get what you want?

nice work, keeping them on there toes!

Leadtek is realy starting to **** me off. still no 5700 ultra in retail!:mad: i have come real close to getting a chaintech 5900 non ultra from newegg. but desided to hold off for leadtek alittle while longer.

funny how money just burns a hole in youre pocket!

Indeed it does burn a hole :)

How long are you prepared to wait walldow ? A 5900 is a better choice if you can get it for similar money, also the 3dmark03 scores are pretty low at only 5000+ and you'd be king **** :)

I've set another 3dmark score in case you still want to go 5700U . :)

Regards

Andy

zakelwe said:

Indeed it does burn a hole :)

How long are you prepared to wait walldow ? A 5900 is a better choice if you can get it for similar money, also the 3dmark03 scores are pretty low at only 5000+ and you'd be king **** :)

I've set another 3dmark score in case you still want to go 5700U . :)

Regards

Andy

well for one i'm just interested in seeing what the thing can do first hand. ive always been the one to NOT follow the leader.yes the 5900 is a mutch better deal. but i like to push the boundries and do what people say "can't be done". the 5900 just doesn't really apeal to me for some reason?

the 5700 is more of a challange!:D

and 5000+ on a 4 piped card is prety damn good!

i saw acouple days ago the leadtek 5700 ultra is out in AUSTRALIA! LOL! $330:eek: ouch thats way too high.

i guess i'll wait as long as it takes. i was reading somwere it's not the card manufactures falt, IBM isn't producing enough chips for all card makers. so it's taking a little longer for some to get the cards out.

anyway, hopfully this week? ;)

walldow said:

well for one i'm just interested in seeing what the thing can do first hand. ive always been the one to NOT follow the leader.yes the 5900 is a mutch better deal. but i like to push the boundries and do what people say "can't be done". the 5900 just doesn't really apeal to me for some reason?

the 5700 is more of a challange!:D

and 5000+ on a 4 piped card is prety damn good!

i saw acouple days ago the leadtek 5700 ultra is out in AUSTRALIA! LOL! $330:eek: ouch thats way too high.

i guess i'll wait as long as it takes. i was reading somwere it's not the card manufactures falt, IBM isn't producing enough chips for all card makers. so it's taking a little longer for some to get the cards out.

anyway, hopfully this week? ;)

I know what you mean in the that first paragragh.

Looking at the first page for 3dmark2001 for the 5900 lot if you only do one result per user my 5700 would be on the front page :)

Wish it had a few more pipelines as you say though.

Hope it arrives this week for you.

Regards

Andy

woah, thats some crazy cooling. id prefer all 3 fans running tho, instead of 2 and a backup. btw, this is TomaHawk47x, i changed my name.

yeah that cooling is pretty wicked looking. i was thinking of aftermarket cooling for my 5700U. i seen the thermaltake copper 1U xeon cooler and was thinking of using that and making some copper ramsinks.

Pollux said:
woah, thats some crazy cooling. id prefer all 3 fans running tho, instead of 2 and a backup. btw, this is TomaHawk47x, i changed my name.

the third fan (backup fan) will startup when any of the two primary fans malfunction or when the GPU temperature reaches 56°C.

Albatron has put out some great cards in the past. so since Leadtek is jerking around i guess i'll give this baby a shot!

pluss it's blue so it matches my swiftech GPU waterblock!:D

walldow said:

the third fan (backup fan) will startup when any of the two primary fans malfunction or when the GPU temperature reaches 56°C.

Albatron has put out some great cards in the past. so since Leadtek is jerking around i guess i'll give this baby a shot!

pluss it's blue so it matches my swiftech GPU waterblock!:D

if you're gonna watercool it, wouldnt the stock cooling be irrelevant? i just see it as a bigger pain to remove. anyway, will asus be making a 5700u, or are they done with nvidia cards?

Pollux said:

if you're gonna watercool it, wouldnt the stock cooling be irrelevant? i just see it as a bigger pain to remove. anyway, will asus be making a 5700u, or are they done with nvidia cards?

ya the stock cooler will probley get stuck in the old desk drawer after about two runs. i'm not getting the card for the cooler. as i stated albatron has been put out some good cards, the cooler is just an extra. i'll probly end up putting it up for sale in the clasafieds here at the forums?

but i figure it's not going to cost anyextra compared to other 5700 ultras, so why not!

well Zakelwe i got the Albatron!

and took second with my first full overclocked run!
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1675824

the card auto detected 534/1020. and runs 620/1050 with stock cooler and stock voltage! my system wasn't tweeked as you can see i was only running 2300mhz on my cpu and the fsb is low. wasn't planning on submitting the score i was just wanting to see what the card could do, and bam 2 spot. hell the thing didn't even break 45c!

however the ram runs extremly hot i touched the stock ram sinks and ouch but they are aluminum. i have some all copper BGA ram sinks. i think with propper cooling the ram can hit close to 1100.

i'm just speculating but with core temps like this, with a volt mod and water cooler i'm looking at close to 700mhz! ya that sounds crazy but i'm dead seriouse!

i plan on playing with the card for a couple of days and finding it's limits. i'll have time to do some seriouse overclocks come fri or sat.

veary impressed with Albatron.

good luck, Walldow OC3DMark Team

Last edited:
Nice card walldow ! Can you force the third fan to be always on or is it always a backup ? When you go watercooling you won't have to worry about that anyhow.

Are you going to be concentrating on 53.03 or 52.16 drivers .. actually probably both knowing you :D until you have beaten me ..again :)

The Albatron 4200ti was a great overclocker as well, seems like they have a nice niche going for them.

Today I have to try and find a USB keyboard to see if i can get this motherboard working again.

Good luck on Saturday .. leave my 3dmark2001 alone though ..heh heh
:p

Regards

Andy

zakelwe said:
Nice card walldow ! Can you force the third fan to be always on or is it always a backup ? When you go watercooling you won't have to worry about that anyhow.

id prefer all 3 fans running at the same time, if theres gonna be 3 on my gpu, i want to take advantage of it.

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

just slightly offtopic here, but zakelwe, here's something that's concern ya:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=251068

a pair of athlon 64's, both with their heatspreaders popped

and LOAD temps are 34 degrees celcius with air cooling (zalman)

took me a while to pop the second one, cause the first time it was a *really* close call, but otherwise just get them four razor blades, twist, squeeze, and pry and you should be fine...

anyways... for the topic

hey walldow, how ya doing?

deepest apologizes for not writing ya for the longest time...

i was really busy [ again :( ] for the last whole bunch of time ... BUT

BUT

with a hex editor and some crazy dude in europe, we're getting very close to the first working SOFTWARE VOLTAGE ADJUSTMENTS, for 5700/5900's ONLY

so dun solder anything to ur card yet

gimme maybe another few days and i should have it

but otherwise as undoubtly you've noticed, the voltage controllers are basically the same

though you can max out a bit higher on the ram

and also i dunno about you, but my card: http://www.colorful.com.cn/UpFiles/Product/27/135/5700Ultra_CH_b.jpg

maxes out at 600/1050 on stock cooling, and with a bunch of stuff soldered on it, 650/1100 is good; 1200 on the ram shouldn't be impossible: its got the same voltage ic as the 5800

on yeah, AND LAP YOUR RAM... i dunno how to emphasize the importance of this, but lapping that DDR2 HELPS

hold on, i gotta go do something, be back later

ok, i dun know about you guys, but my card throttles back at 650 mhz, as in after a while it would just slow down like it ran outta gas or something....

and also apparently it crashes if the sink hits ~70-80 degrees celcius, with 2.0v and bad case ventilation,...

so i dunno what you guys are getting, but my "2D" or "safe" mode is kicking in a bit earlier than i expected

hold on, gotta run again, be back later again

fafnir said:
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

just slightly offtopic here, but zakelwe, here's something that's concern ya:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=251068

a pair of athlon 64's, both with their heatspreaders popped

and LOAD temps are 34 degrees celcius with air cooling (zalman)

took me a while to pop the second one, cause the first time it was a *really* close call, but otherwise just get them four razor blades, twist, squeeze, and pry and you should be fine...

anyways... for the topic

hey walldow, how ya doing?

deepest apologizes for not writing ya for the longest time...

i was really busy [ again :( ] for the last whole bunch of time ... BUT

BUT

with a hex editor and some crazy dude in europe, we're getting very close to the first working SOFTWARE VOLTAGE ADJUSTMENTS, for 5700/5900's ONLY

so dun solder anything to ur card yet

gimme maybe another few days and i should have it

but otherwise as undoubtly you've noticed, the voltage controllers are basically the same

though you can max out a bit higher on the ram

and also i dunno about you, but my card: http://www.colorful.com.cn/UpFiles/Product/27/135/5700Ultra_CH_b.jpg

maxes out at 600/1050 on stock cooling, and with a bunch of stuff soldered on it, 650/1100 is good; 1200 on the ram shouldn't be impossible: its got the same voltage ic as the 5800

on yeah, AND LAP YOUR RAM... i dunno how to emphasize the importance of this, but lapping that DDR2 HELPS

hold on, i gotta go do something, be back later

thats sounds awesome fafnir, do you have any ideas when this voltage software will be out? id like to crank voltage without soldering, the hands get a little jittery when it comes to working on something like this lol. will this software work with all 5700/5900s? my card is maxing out at 550/1050.

fafnir said:
ok, i dun know about you guys, but my card throttles back at 650 mhz, as in after a while it would just slow down like it ran outta gas or something....

and also apparently it crashes if the sink hits ~70-80 degrees celcius, with 2.0v and bad case ventilation,...

so i dunno what you guys are getting, but my "2D" or "safe" mode is kicking in a bit earlier than i expected

hold on, gotta run again, be back later again

hey bud, just wrote you today. write me back!

i done the mod this morning. voltage mode controller is the same as the 5900. i couldn't get over 625/1050 on stock voltage. hooked up the volt mod and bam 700mhz core clock! and the thing runs cool as hell. i didn't even have to run ice water through my setup to cool it! i also found if you set youre 2d clock as high as it will go it will let you clock youre 3d higher!i guess it has to do with the voltage jump going from 2d too 3d, with higher clock speeds the sudden fluctuation in voltage puts it in safe mode. but useing the higher 2d clocks helps with this problem.

i'll post a screen shot of the 700mhz core clock in a little while.

Zakelwe here's you somthing to chew on! all test enabled. i haven't run the 52.16's yet. i'll get to that tomorrow.
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1690361
;)

Back