• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eVGA GeForce 6800 GT System Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
deception`` said:
On a side note I think it's a shame that people spend so much on cpu/mobo/vid card/ram but tend to overclook the importance of a good psu. A few extra dollars here and there in the beginning can often save much more money/time/headaches in the long run.

well said, and I couldn't agree more.
I wish more people would think this way.

mica

Hrmph....im trying to decide what to get at this point as well. Cash = no factor. But I wanna keep it under $400.

Mica, I know you like your x800, but I got an important question. How is the AA / AINSO on the 6800s? Is it still crap? If so Ill drop the extra $$$ for an x800.

I just like to keep things fresh and try a 6800GT, that is of course if NV isnt up to their old tricks :argue:

DarkMatter13 said:
In fact, the first high end AGP card I ever purchased was a Powercolor ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. The card itself caused me severe compatibility issues with the then-current SiS chipset Asus motherboard I was using. Since then I cannot bring myself to spend the money on an ATI graphic chip. DarkMatter13

That's to bad Darkmatter13 because I had a bad experience with a SiS chipset myself. No matter which card I put in it, nVidia or ATi, it was still a bug ladden and piece of garbage board. I swore Id never buy another SiS chipset board, because after 3 different types or ram and 4 different video cards, including a PCI one, it still was unstable and junk.....

I was really disappointed too DragonPrince. I had been running an SiS Xabre 400 for quite a while. My fiancee bought it for me as a birthday gift. She was trying to do good, and I thanked her for it. It was an Asus P4S8X with an SiS 648/963 chipset. It worked well with the Xabre (naturally). I did quite a bit of research to make sure the ATI would work with it, and upon finding nothing negative I went and ordered one from Newegg. Shortly thereafter, the "fun" started. Random reboots, dropping to desktop right in the middle of games, you know the routine. Abotu 3 weeks later, I started reading that the SiS 648 didn't receive/transmit the 9700 Pro's AGP signaling correctly. It just irked me that I didn't find any of this stuff BEFORE I bought the card. So, since then, I just can't bring myself to buy anything SiS or ATI. Whatever will be will be.

Oh, and Deception, I hear ya. I do my best to neither start, nor take part in flame wars. They solve nothing, and prove even less. Except maybe that those whipping snide comments and remarks back and forth are incapable of actually engaging in rational conversation.

DarkMatter13

deception`` said:
Just thought I would take the time to express my appreciation that this thread has not started into a personal flame war. Here's an example of how things should NOT turn out (funny that it involves me :D):

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=311996

there are so many times that I get replys that are....well, let's just say they can be nasty.

I just walk away.

I don't mind a rational argument, but went things turn nasty, I'm gone.
(makes you look better too.)

I'm gald that not everyone thinks like (or agrees with) me...
it makes the world a better place, IMHO.

mica

Hmmmmm......artifacts in 3DM03 under CPU tests only. Testing FSB 220 MHz, with 1:1, CAS 2.5-3-3-6. Vcore setting in BIOS at "Auto", Vdimm at 2.75. CoolBits clocks at 420/1150 (575MHz DDR). All 3D GPU rendered tests run at good frame rates, with zero distortions. Only the CPU tests artifact. Going to run a few more courses with Vcore upped by .25 volt. I might alter the 1:1 as well to see if it's my system RAM which is the problem. Problem there is that at 5:4 divider, with 220 FSB the RAM will be underclocked at 176MHz base frequency (DDR352). I'm definitely thinking the PSU itself is wasted. I can't afford a new PSU just yet, as I have to get a new machine built within the next couple of weeks. [sarcasm]The party never stops.[/sarcasm]

back with more later

DarkMatter13

DarkMatter13 said:
Hmmmmm......artifacts in 3DM03 under CPU tests only. Testing FSB 220 MHz, with 1:1, CAS 2.5-3-3-6. Vcore setting in BIOS at "Auto", Vdimm at 2.75. CoolBits clocks at 420/1150 (575MHz DDR). All 3D GPU rendered tests run at good frame rates, with zero distortions. Only the CPU tests artifact. Going to run a few more courses with Vcore upped by .25 volt. I might alter the 1:1 as well to see if it's my system RAM which is the problem. Problem there is that at 5:4 divider, with 220 FSB the RAM will be underclocked at 176MHz base frequency (DDR352). I'm definitely thinking the PSU itself is wasted. I can't afford a new PSU just yet, as I have to get a new machine built within the next couple of weeks. [sarcasm]The party never stops.[/sarcasm]

back with more later

DarkMatter13

can you run prime95 stable at your OC or stock???

and what are your rails like at load?

mica

Voltage delivery at load:

Vcore: 1.49 - 1.52
+3.3v: 3.33 (steady)
+5v: 5.08
+12v: 11.86 - 12.12

Above as reported by MBM5 with CPU (HT enabled) load at 50% over the course of 5 minutes

Hmmm how much further does your 6800 OC to? If it goes into the 450 range im very interested. Otherwise Im gonna keep my order for the PE

DarkMatter13 said:
Voltage delivery at load:

Vcore: 1.49 - 1.52
+3.3v: 3.33 (steady)
+5v: 5.08
+12v: 11.86 - 12.12

Above as reported by MBM5 with CPU (HT enabled) load at 50% over the course of 5 minutes

your voltages look real good to me....that's at full load?
yep, looking good to me.

start running at 5:4 mem ratio, then bump back up to 220fsb or higher if you can.
I'm sure you can push that CPU to 240fsb-255fsb.
you might need 1.6vcore, maybe 1.65vcore.

as for your vid card OC...heat is the only thing I see right now as your problem.

PM me if you need more help.

mica

Last edited:
Final determination:

The system RAM (Corsair XMS PC3200) couldn't handle the 1:1 at 220 with any voltage readily supplied by the BIOS. So, it's back to stock clocks now.

Sentinal, my 6800U hits 461. My GT OC will go to the 420's depending on the temp, but I havent had AC for 2 months and its almost 90F ambient so I cant tell for sure.

Back