• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED EVGA x58 SLI Dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TiZakit

Hey guys, I've been out of PC building for long while, then my computer took a dive. So if you could be so kind, I'm looking for some advice.

The PC has been extremely unstable. Crashes every hour or so. Here is a run down of the last few days of troubleshooting:
*Reverted video drivers. Tried reinstalling newer video drivers.
*Swapped PSU with a known good. (Seasonic)
*Reseated everything
*Reinstalled Windows 7 - Updated all drivers and let sit.
*Checked CPU and Video cooling. Both are working as expected.

Tonight, I was about to install another OS to make sure it wasn't a windows issue when I noticed that the motherboard power LED light (on the case) was lit even when the system was shutdown. This led to an investigation into the motherboard.
*Power LED is connected securely and with correct polarity.
*Noticed that a fan connection no longer will report RPM reading.
*Full power off. Hold power button and release. Clear CMOS - No change.

So unless you guys have any other ideas, I'm going to conclude that the board needs replaced.

Should I spend the cash for another 1366 x58 board? Slim pickings at the usual places. I did find some boards on ebay, but of course, no warranty even on stuff listed as new. This would be my first choice if I needed to go that route: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-X58A-GD...913543392?pt=Motherboards&hash=item35c3850ce0

Like I said, I've not quite been keeping up with the current trends. Would there be another CPU/motherboard combo that nets me about the same performance, for a price under $250?

What would you do in my situation. I'm trying to buy a house right now, so money is a little tight.

Thanks!

Current System:
Intel i7-920
EVGA X58 SLI LE
3x2gb Corsair XMS3
XFX 5850
Seasonic 750w PSU
2 2tb Hdds for storage in RAID 1 (Intel ICH10R)
Crucial M4 SDD (system drive)

The board's probably dead, yeah. Maybe a cap has been damaged, or any other electronical device, as the power LED is still up when it shouldn't be. That could explain those artifacts.

I would strongly recommend you to try and upgrade to a Ivy system. Alas, under 250 upgrading to Ivy will be rather hard. If you have a Microcenter close, you could get a 3570k and a Z77 Extreme4 for around USD 300 checking the on-line store. Not sure though, I am not American, thus, I have never been to a microcenter. Might want to wait for another member to confirm this.

Thanks for the input. At least someone agrees with me.

By bad fortune, I wound up with tonight off from work. I wanted to use this time to get the system functional again, as the next time I'll be able to spend time on it is a long way off. I contacted a local ebay guy and got a board local pickup for under $100. We'll see how it goes, I just got it installed.

UPDATE:

Well. Looks like the board was fine. I continued to have issues and investigated the last component on the list. The SSD.

Updated firmware. has been stable for longer than it has been in the past.

Back