• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Exoframe 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Excellent work! I think you need another thread in the classifieds to go with the benching station thread - an Exoframe thread! :D

I've already got my next 2 projects in mind, after which I will probably revisit this design. There are a few things that sort of prohibit easy reproduction, which I may address as mini projects:

1) Consider getting the brackets professionally welded

2) Powdercoating the brackets

3) Need to address how to finish the aluminum square tube

The next next next project I have in mind, when I plan to revisit this exoframe design would be a compact micro atx version.

Looks great. Always impressive work you do and I love watching it happen.

Would be nice to see a side panel retention mechanism for ease of access, tool-less entry.

I'm thinking a lip on the exoframe on the inside frame - panels slide in. Like a sliding house door moves in the frame, except the side and top panels can be slid right out the back of the frame horizontally.

The back panel would be the retention mechanism for the side panels - remove the backpanel, top and side panels slide right out. Back panel could be freely lifted out of its frame vertically - no tools, complete access within the frame by just sliding panels out freely. Could make a small retention lever for the back panel to keep it from sliding out, or just leave it to gravity.

Just an idea possibly for 3.0 ;)

Thanks for the comments!

I have given some thought about easier panel access--I had thought maybe more like some sort of handle/latch and just lift panel out like a hatch door.

What's next?

Brass Tacks: one day scratch build!

Navig: For future, the heat from the oven when "curing" the powder coat causes the solder to come off. I took a torch and removed all the solder before powder coating the brackets.

I'll get photos up soon for the finished case. Powder coated the brackets white and anodized the aluminum black... looks amazing.

Sorry about that! Always learning. Hoping at some point to get some classes on welding and metal fab.

I'm prepping a batch to be professionally tig welded then powdercoated.

Can't wait to see the pics!

Southernrebel--you do have to be careful as those parts are extruded. Extruded plastic is much more difficult to work with (weak and crumbly). I have seen folks build cases from acrylic square bar.

true some of it is. I will have to talk to my buddy to see where he got his at because it was pretty strong. That web sight was just the first one i found that day there is probably other companies that make it

This project has been off the radar for a while, after I shipped it to Gmdoubleg.

In the interim, he actually completed and finished the case but found it didn’t fit his lifestyle.

So the opportunity came up for me to re-acquire the Exoframe 2.0, so I did!

Incidentally, once this is finished, it’ll go back on sale in the classifieds, but please keep all discussions about price etc. in the classifieds post or via pm and not here.

Gmdoubleg completely disassembled the case (which is probably the only safe way to ship) and packaged everything excellently:

Componentsonatable_zpsaa9ac227.jpg

First, I'm just going to get it assembled. No real plans for modification, but if a potential buyer were interested, I could do whatever was necessary.

Start with the base bars:

Firstbars_zps5f39716f.jpg

Firstsquare_zps378e2d74.jpg

Added the bottom panel with caster wheels.

Bottomcomplete_zpsd2ceb1d1.jpg

Wrangled the wiring, which runs thru the inside of several of the frame tubes:

Wranglingwiring_zps78f379c5.jpg

Power supply shelf:

PSUbracket_zpsdca03e72.jpg

Almost complete:

Boxalmostcomplete_zps417085bc.jpg

And got the frame assembled:

Framecomplete1_zps373bc8f4.jpg

Framecomplete2_zpse003d558.jpg

It was time to mount all the panels.

Top panel:

Panelstop_zpsd02858b7.jpg

Front panel:

Panelfront_zpsa0a090bb.jpg

The back panel is one of my finest examples of crafting plastic:

Panelback_zps682114de.jpg

Mounted:

Panelbackmounted_zpse099aee3.jpg

Switch panel:

Switchpanel_zpsbf34f252.jpg

Took a moment to make sure my universal radiator mount was all dialed in:

Toppanelradiatormounts_zps9970f29b.jpg

Got a Swiftech MCR220 and a MCR320 fitted no problems

With the top back on:

Toppanelradiatorgrills_zps3b21b7b3.jpg

And here you go: a quick series of completed pics:

Completed1_zpscd94d41f.jpg

Completed3_zps8f569bb9.jpg

Completed2_zpsad2ec403.jpg

Completed5_zpsf14fca9e.jpg

Next: my series of higher resolution clean and nice completed pics….

Exoframe 2.0 Completed!

Just to recap. This was an exoframe project I built for another thread member, but that I purchased back, and will go back for sale for anyone interested.

Exoframe refers to the overall design construction. The case primarily consists of a ¾” aluminum square tube frame. The frame is completely stand-alone. All of the paneling is non-structural.

Here is a picture of the frame as I completed it:

Completednekkid4.jpg

Since none of the enclosing panels are structural you can remove them all quickly and have maximal access to your components. In fact you can just operate the system open bench style.

Or add the panels back and you have a completely enclosed case:

Frontleftlo1_zpsdfe4159e.jpg

The framing elements remain visible, even with the panels on, hence the name.

We opted for a simple black and white scheme. The frame has been anodized in black, and the bracketry powdercoated white.

It is a box design, with a slanted panel for the switch cluster. It is also mounted on caster wheels to move about.

The front has a bracket for mounting 3x 5.25 bay slots.

The switch cluster has a domed chrome pushbutton for power, flat chrome button for reset, and blue and red LEDs for power and HDD activity.

Switchpanel_zps82d5f93b.jpg

The top panel has a grilled section.

Frontrighthi2_zps2852b3bd.jpg

This allows air intake or exhaust for side by side radiators, as needed:

Topradiators_zpsa5c38205.jpg

The mounting brackets are fairly universal and can fit side by side Swiftech MCR 320s as in the picture.

Leftmidlo_zps613479c2.jpg

The paneling is all ⅛” transparent gray acrylic. I think it looks pretty understated, but with some internal lighting, you can see the internals well.

The back panel has your i/o’s, power supply bracket, and an access panel for your hard drives.

Backrightlo1_zpsbac40d08.jpg

The hard drive access panels has some slots to keep some airflow thru the hard drives.

It can be easily opened with thumbscrews, allowing access to 4 full sized hard drives.

Harddriveaccessport_zpsf4dc57a9.jpg

As I have mentioned, the panels can all come off with a few screws. Then you get very unrestricted access to your components:

Openleftmid_zps4c1a9777.jpg

Openleftmidlit_zpsa2a19c89.jpg

Openrightmobotray_zps02328938.jpg

Another feature I’ve built in is something featured (or actually hidden) in this pic:

Internalwiring_zps87172b80.jpg

If you take a close look, I actually run the cables for the switch panel within in the frame itself. One less set of cables cluttering up the insides.

This case was designed with some general layouts in mind for watercooling.

WClayout_zpseac290be.jpg

The radiator/s have their location up top.
The idea was for a round tube radiator type--a bracket was fabricated, and pass-thru holes are there--plus the pump on the lower deck.

And there you have it! Exoframe 2.0:

Openleftlo_zps094dd809.jpg

Openleftmobotray_zpsb1714ee3.jpg

Seethrudrivehatch_zps43dbb035.jpg

Frontleftmid2_zps19653d04.jpg

Thanks for the support of the forums I’m posting at.
Thanks to gmdoubleg for commissioning the design.
Thanks to my wife!

My usual sources: mcmaster.com, onlinemetals.com, jab-tech, performance-pcs, frozencpu, Norcal Laser, mionesolidworks, delviesplastics.

Also, I direct you to my other ongoing and very related project, the exoframe mini.

Link → here

Back