• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Watercooling Recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just a quick update, I watched an unboxing video of the Apogee XT and it does come with metal barbs. Still not sure if the drive does though, so if anybody finds confirmation of that before me please post.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc2.html if u check the photo barb are installed on it and if u check the mcr 320 (just the rad) it doesnt so I think the mcr drive come with metal barbs. IF u want to be 100% sure contact sidewinder or swiftech

Nice find, thanks for pointing that out. Yea I'll probably contact them tomorrow just to be sure but I think that they do come with metal barbs. I also want to know what size they are, I think 3/8 but not sure. Something else I'll have to ask when I contact Swiftech.

maybe we should combine forces bobby, run 6 triple rads and run a long water line to make 1 loop out of our pc's. i call dib's on having my cpu first after the rads!

whoops, forgot about that block. i have one and also replaced the barbs, but for rotaries so i could fit larger heatsinks on the memory. not that there is anything wrong with there mcw60, wonder when a new gpu block will come out.

rotaries, and then you can fit bigger heatsinks on the memory?
nice, im gonna have to pick some rotaries up soon then!

@ spawn - well on that logic you can buy the pipework then.... dont think the CERN loops that big :rolleyes:

only thing to be gained from that experiment is the relisation neither of us needs any more rads.

the inequality... were in trouble when folk find out we bought all the swiftech`s

maybe we should combine forces bobby, run 6 triple rads and run a long water line to make 1 loop out of our pc's. i call dib's on having my cpu first after the rads!

Darnit! NONONONO! :screwy: Your rads in tandem will cause a corolias effect on the wind patterns around the world. Besides, you have to move in together and thats just umm. No offense, I'm fine with alternative ways, but that would be.... GHEY!!!!!

Heck, join forces and sell the rads, buy a phase water chiller.

whoops, forgot about that block. i have one and also replaced the barbs, but for rotaries so i could fit larger heatsinks on the memory. not that there is anything wrong with there mcw60, wonder when a new gpu block will come out.

I think this falls under the "If it ain't broke, fix it til it is" clause.:D That would be why there are so many mounting kits for it. Just for mine, I have the standard kit, which works for the 9800GT in my sig, there's a bracket for some older ATI cards, the GT200 bracket, and the G80 adapter that I know of. For some reason, I think there will be a GT4xx kit (rumored naming scheme for new Nvidia cards), and eventually a kit for the ATI 5xxx cards.

I guess they just figure that it still works, why change it.:shrug: I wonder if they just include the plastic barbs if they will be going into some sort of plastic or acrylic. I have noticed the top of the MCW60 feels a bit plastic like.

@ conum - no we both like this video... im fairly certain its a rad fetish and theres nothing further :p

Im getting to know the lyrics though :rock:

Darnit! NONONONO! :screwy: Your rads in tandem will cause a corolias effect on the wind patterns around the world. Besides, you have to move in together and thats just umm. No offense, I'm fine with alternative ways, but that would be.... GHEY!!!!!

Then again, the cold temps of that nice big pond separating them could cool the water in the tubing between the 2 rigs. Who needs a rad when your tubing is at the bottom of the ocean. Geothermal cooling anyone?:p

think we had best use 1/2 tubing then.... lot of resistance for four D5 varios.
several thousand miles worth.

stuffed when I get to bulgaria... too many earth quakes to lay pipes :-/

To both new folks asking questions.

Yes, please stick with distilled and silver or kill coils. It's the least trouble free.

I really like the rad/drive from Swiftech. Less tubing, cleaner install. You got the money, I'd do it with NO hesitation. I saw the rig Gabe (Swiftech CEO) had at CES at a private party. Nice! very quiet.

Barbs: Swiftech barbs are fine stock, ONLY the microres barbs are plastic. So you'll be fine with ALL barbs supplied.

Think that covers it all, a busy thread, haven't been on top of it as much as I should be.

To both new folks asking questions.

Yes, please stick with distilled and silver or kill coils. It's the least trouble free.

I really like the rad/drive from Swiftech. Less tubing, cleaner install. You got the money, I'd do it with NO hesitation. I saw the rig Gabe (Swiftech CEO) had at CES at a private party. Nice! very quiet.

Barbs: Swiftech barbs are fine stock, ONLY the microres barbs are plastic. So you'll be fine with ALL barbs supplied.

Think that covers it all, a busy thread, haven't been on top of it as much as I should be.

Unless something has changed very recently, my MCW60 came with plastic barbs as well. I really like the Bitspower True Silver fittings as well. It's one less thing you have to remember when you tear down for cleaning.

I didn't get to make it to CES this year. What fans did Gabe have on that drive setup? I have heard the Apogee Drive blocks were decent, but the vibration from the pump and block in one piece had a tendency to wiggle the mounts loose over time. The pump, rad, and res looks nice though. A single CPU only loop could be well taken care of with about 4' of tubing, and a block. You could easily get a good loop going for less than $300, and around $350-400 to add in a GPU.

Dunno what fans he had.
Link to rig pic, sorry I didn't take more. Amazed Gabe slipped out .
IMG_0473.jpg

Yep, MCW 60 STILL has plastic barbs, my bad.

He had a 320 and a 220 in the case (Cosmos 1000?), running a hot CPU and two GPUs in SLI runnning a Furmark loop. The pump on the 220 was turned off, a big series loop. I stuck my head into the case more than once during the evening, it was sooo quiet. He had the new top secret DDC PWM pumps connected to the CPU fan header.

Temps overall were higher than I would like, but WAYYY within okay. It was soo freaking quiet. Gabe said the rig demonstrates quiet and power. It did that for sure.

As I said, the New built in pump is sweet.

And yea, I use BP barbs. Great stuff.

rotaries, and then you can fit bigger heatsinks on the memory?
nice, im gonna have to pick some rotaries up soon then!

this is what i had before, i didn't realize it worked with normal barbs.
img0201j.jpg

here it is now, i have the triple rotaries so i can have better bends for the tubing leaving the case and coming from the cpu.
IMG_0413.jpg

lol, as seinfeld would say, "I'm not gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that."

and phase will come in the next couple of years once i get my licence.

I guess they just figure that it still works, why change it.:shrug: I wonder if they just include the plastic barbs if they will be going into some sort of plastic or acrylic. I have noticed the top of the MCW60 feels a bit plastic like.

ya the top is actel i believe. i was worried about using metal barbs with it, but it seemed to be fine. i used DD fat boys and one of them leaked until i tightened it alot. but now i have rotaries on them with no issues.

lol, i haven't seen that in a long time! good watch'en.

Dunno what fans he had.
Link to rig pic, sorry I didn't take more. Amazed Gabe slipped out .
IMG_0473.jpg

which one is gabe? only one i recognize is alex from petras.

Last edited:
Back