• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extremely high temps with Prime 95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kwassing

I have the following:

Fx4100 CPU
MSI 760GM p23 FX motherboard.
Hypermaster 212+
2 120mm fans.

at Idle my temps average 12° C

when i run Prime 95 the temps range from 35°-40°C. however about 2 minutes or so into it. the temps jump from 40° straight to 206° C. It doesnt raise slowly, one second its 40 then the next its 206. Immediately i shutdown prime and hte temps drop back down to normal... Is this a sign of a bad thermal paste issue or is something else going on here?

I applied a pea sized dot, spread it evenly with a business card, and installed the cooler.

I would think the high .... 206*C reading is a false reading. What are you using for monitering your temps and voltages. I would strongly suggest you download the lates HWMoniter from Cupid and have it running while you run prime again. Post the results after here after you have done this, preferably after at least a 15 - 20 min run so we can see what kinda temps you are running. Keep an eye on your temps while doing this. If your Socket temp .... Labled CPU gets above 70*C or your CPU Core temp ..... Labled CPU Package gets above 60*C stop prime and then post a screen shot of HWMoniter.

Hi bassnut maybe this would help the OP my friend!

1, http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

No telling how many temp read-out versions of software that there are but in this forum setting here we highly suggest sticking with HWMonitor (free) since we see it everyday and are used to what and how it may react especially when a new versions hits the streets with a change unseen before.

What they want to use at their own desk when not seeking help is up to them but where we have to see so many and offer help based on the best knowledge seen in a capture, we try to stay standardized with HWM. Standardized and free are the only two things that are outstanding for most people anyway.
RGone...

Realtemp doesn't work with amd is the point there, actually. Coretemp is for amd and Intel. They use that complicated thing hwmonitor as theyknow the offset.

Just an FYI, I use HWM and have seen temps on my Athlon x64 hit 206C a couple times. I'm sure it's a false reading cause I know my cpu (as most) would be toast if they hit 206C.

I would think the high .... 206*C reading is a false reading. What are you using for monitering your temps and voltages. I would strongly suggest you download the lates HWMoniter from Cupid and have it running while you run prime again. Post the results after here after you have done this, preferably after at least a 15 - 20 min run so we can see what kinda temps you are running. Keep an eye on your temps while doing this. If your Socket temp .... Labled CPU gets above 70*C or your CPU Core temp ..... Labled CPU Package gets above 60*C stop prime and then post a screen shot of HWMoniter.

HWMonitor is what i am using. It is the CPU package temp that is showing this. I let it run this morning for a bit longer, it shoots up to 206, for a couple seconds, then drops down to about 60-70° then shoots straight back up. its just going up and down up and down

@ kwassing. I doubt there is anything to be concerned with that 'flyer' of a CPU socket type temp. That older chipset on that motherboard in conjunction with I/O IC and the FX-4100 is likely the problem. Most of the time the 'super-high' temp comes from the IC not having an actual reading ready for the temp program and then the application goes 'high' in temp read-out and not low.

I said "likely problem" earlier but there is a problem; only if one considers it a problem. Understanding as I do about how the high temp can occur, I no longer have a concern.
RGone...

@ kwassing. I doubt there is anything to be concerned with that 'flyer' of a CPU socket type temp. That older chipset on that motherboard in conjunction with I/O IC and the FX-4100 is likely the problem. Most of the time the 'super-high' temp comes from the IC not having an actual reading ready for the temp program and then the application goes 'high' in temp read-out and not low.

I said "likely problem" earlier but there is a problem; only if one considers it a problem. Understanding as I do about how the high temp can occur, I no longer have a concern.
RGone...

well i dont know if this helps or not, but i was running speedfan at the same time again and it never goes that high. it stays in teh 45°C range.

well i dont know if this helps or not, but i was running speedfan at the same time again and it never goes that high. it stays in teh 45°C range.

As said earlier, I don't consider the 'flyer' of a temp an actual issue, so if you are rokken now, I have been. Good luck man and happy computering.
RGone...

Back