• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F Class - The Alvarez Hypothesis's submission/strategy thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd bet you'll get colder submerging it in ice water...and since you've got the extra room in your handicap to spare...

I have already used that extra point, so I'm allowed to to use chilled water ;) And i will work on the water an Ice thing, already have the bucket.
Next thing to worry about is my pump. I dont know how cold the water will get if i dip the rad in ice water, and i dont know if my pump will survive it.

I have already used that extra point, so I'm allowed to to use chilled water ;) And i will work on the water an Ice thing, already have the bucket.
Next thing to worry about is my pump. I dont know how cold the water will get if i dip the rad in ice water, and i dont know if my pump will survive it.

Pump should be fine as long as you run the right mixture of antifreeze...bobn is good to ask about that stuff...

For dice... Probably 70/30, that gets you -51*c or so.
More freezes sooner as does less.
For ice, use 20-30% or so.

I've run a DICE + 91% alcohol loop before, the pump did just fine. A bit hard to see, but there's some ice on the outside of the pump. The pump still works perfectly.

IMG_3078.jpg

Full thread on that setup here if you're interested. It was good for ~-40C.

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna be a chicken here and just stick with normal ice and water in a bucket :chair:
I've already spent way too much money on HW lately, so I cant really afford to kill anything at the moment... So to be on the safe side, I have a couple of questions:

1: What kind of water temps do you think I'll be able to get with water/ice?

2:What about insulation, how much is needed?

3: Last time I had the window open, my water temps was 2C, will this ice thing even be worth it, compared to that?

Ok, I updated #2 with a little info on our opponents. Both OCN and TRP are gonna be hard ones to beat. I dont know how those 570's on the OCN team are going to act and there is very little info on it on the bot. Only found things like this: http://www.hwbot.org/community/subm...age___performance_geforce_gtx_570_19490_marks

TRP is much more mixed, and we will have to analyze individually here. My first though is that Hokie, Equinox and DW0378 are the biggest threads, unless TheWolf can overclock that Q6600 very high, and unleash the powers of the 2x480's...

What do you guys think?

Thats what I'm afraid :( And yes i did have water temps in that area with the outside temps being below zero.

you could start getting crazy. Trying my idea with DICE and a styrofoam cooler will only cost a couple bucks and if it works...hey presto! If not you're really not out much. Is there something that's not as corrosive as salt that could be used to lower the freezing point of water?

Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) :D

Go 30/70 ethylene glycol/water for -10*c freezing point.
That should do it unless your ambients are below that.

Wikipedia has a full chart.

you could start getting crazy. Trying my idea with DICE and a styrofoam cooler will only cost a couple bucks and if it works...hey presto! If not you're really not out much. Is there something that's not as corrosive as salt that could be used to lower the freezing point of water?

If I wanted to go crazy, wouldn't it be easier to just drop the rad into the DICE then? :D I have spent my last handicap point on upgrading my water cooling to chilled water, so now the ice is allowed to touch the rad :D

My big fear about going crazy with dice is condensation and the survival of my pump. I have just ordered Conformal spray, but would it be enough to just spray my motherboard and vidcard with this? I also have some isolation for the tubes, but I wont be able to make the tubes 100% isolated.

For dice in the bucket, run 70% antifreeze, more then that and the freezing point starts getting warmer again (it's weird, thanks physics).
70/30 antifreeze/water gets you a freezing point of -51*c. It'll start sludging up before that, but that should be just around the dice bricks.

Be aware, it takes a lot of dice to drop the temp of a gallon of water significantly. If you start with cooooooold water that'll help a lot.

Hey guys, keep track of the google spreadsheet, I've been digging up info about your competition :)

My big fear about going crazy with dice is condensation and the survival of my pump. I have just ordered Conformal spray, but would it be enough to just spray my motherboard and vidcard with this? I also have some isolation for the tubes, but I wont be able to make the tubes 100% isolated.

Read up on some of the sub zero cooling threads and you should be fine. Kneaded eraser or conformal spray will do the trick.

I think if you have a decent quality pump it will handle it no problem. If your water/antifreeze mix starts to sludge up you pump will likely give you some warning by making a different sound than it normally does. Running like this for an extended period will probably burn it up, but if you notice it and pull the plug I highly doubt you'll cause any long term damage.

If you don't have enough insulation for all of your tubing at least insulate what is going to be closest to the mobo so you don't get any condensation dripping on your gear. Not insulating everything will rob some cold from the system, even wrapping stuff in some towels will help a bit.

I'm not sure how your cpu scales with cold, but you could potentially go ~40C colder from a decent slushbox setup. On AMD architecture that is good for an exta ~10% OC, nothing to sneeze at when we're trying to win a war :attn:
http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/a...C-Scaling-With-VoltageCooling/2#axzz1EAEGTgSc

Allright I might even end up doing this the crazy way then :D

Would it matter much if I use a small rad? I have this old 240mm rad that I woudl rather dip into DICE than my Mo-Ra or my HWLabs GTX480...

Bought anitfreeze today, and conformal should be here tomorrow. MCW60 should be here today, and I will go get kneaded eraser, tape, vaseline, tube and styrofoam box tomorrow. Cant seam to fint the thick paper towel that seams to be used a lot, so the normal thin will have to do. I also have insulation for the tube.

Anything I'm missing? Foam to put in the backside of the mobo and between the waterblock and eraser?

Edit: Also got my Dominator's and will mod the bios on the 480 for moar voltage later :) So if all this plays well I might even be able to increase my FW score by a bit :p

Back