• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H Spotlight #14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
This is the 14th in the series of T32 Spotlights! I'll continue to interview members when given a chance. The interviews will appear in a spotlight every now and then as long as the nominations keep coming in! For how to go about nominating a fellow folder, please go to THIS THREAD. To see the ever growing list of who has been interviewed and the expected date of the next spotlight, please go to THIS THREAD.

**note, i had to 'interview' him 3 or 4 times. every time i'd save his replies, i'd manage to delete them within a couple of days by accident!**

There are those that prefer to take a 'goofy paternal' route. Some of us are just kids at heart no matter how old we get. Then there are those of us who just plain are insane in the membrane and don't let it leak out as much as it should! The following member is well known across the forums and is a very respected member who has earned his place in OCForums history.

Please welcome and give a big hearty cookie and one of my special brownies to....

Audioaficionado

Again, Thanks for taking the time to allow me to interview you.
No problem and I'm glad someone was interested enough to nominate me.

When did you join the Team?
According to my sig I joined OCF in April 2002. So I must have joined team 32 within a month or two after that.

If there was something recent that you did that you wanted your fellow teammembers to know about, what would it be?
Well I didn't get layed off when we slowed down at work and I just got an 'A' in Sociology 204. So I must be a keeper where I work and that class was so easy I hardly ever cracked the book.

Folding wise I haven't done anything differant than I usually do with my sytems. I'm pretty much stagnated at 712/46 until I can afford to build some more folding machines. If I ever get an account at work, you can bet that machine will get borged (with permission of course)

What is your EOC (extremeoverclockers) stats link?
My FAH stats]

So whereabouts do ya live?
42.3° N Latitude by 122.9° W Longitude
Medford, Oregon, USA
It's got a cool, mild, wet maritime climate in winter and a hot dry Mediterranean climate in summer. It's got 70 thousand people but the city planers are five to ten years behind the curve on running things properly. I'd like to move somewhere better and less crowded.

How did you initially hear about F@H?
I just browsed the various hardware and software areas in OCF and found out about distributed clients from some of the guys and their sig links. FAH seemed a much more practical project to help mankind than Seti did so I went with FAH. I had only one computer at the time and decided to try it out. Well a Pentium Pro running only a single 200MHz processor in windows 98lite didn't make much of an impact but it got my feet wet. I was lucky if I got 100PPM. Once I got a second processor and moved on to windows 2000, I still wasn't getting any more PPM. After a few months of wondering why half my WUs weren't getting credited, I found out about the -local flag. Oops :shrug: Now you know and knowing is half the battle. :p

After starting, why do you continue to Fold?
Well I started for the science as <100PPM isn't competitive enough to care about the points. Once I built my first fast PC (Abit NF7-S & Tbred B 1700 OCed to 2.2GHz), I got hooked on the points. It was lots of fun watching my stats fly through the ranks. However since I'm in the top 50 now, It's very hard to move up much unless you have some serious computational power at your disposal. People who say it's wrong to do it for the points are entitled to their POV but they really annoy me when they try to make the contributions of the points competitors of less value. So I do it for both.

What do you do for a living?
Right now I'm just working as an electronics technican in the test department of an assembly plant or board stuffing house. I take the finished parts or circuit boards and test them for function, program the ICs and debug the failed units for repair. I also do most of the repairs like pulling bad ICs off and replacing them. It has vastly improved my soldering skills working with surface mount devices.

My main mission however is to continue my education and get into a nursing program. It's very competitive and only ~20% of qualified applicants get in each year. A fraction of whats needed for the nursing shortage. Oh well... the law of supply and demand will work in my favor once I become a registerd nurse and decide on offers.

What do you do for fun?
Other than build computers and waste hundeds of hours on line posting dribble?

I like to build my own DIY speaker systems using modeling software and high quality components. Also hiking, fishing, camping, gardening, listening to music, going for long country drives with my wife of 26 years.

Is there anything special you do in your spare time that you really enjoy?
Hanging out here in the forums waaaay too much. I also like a few other forums like 2CPU.com and SFFTECH. Do you see a pattern here?

Time to spill your guts. What are the stats of your main folding rig? Why is it your fave? What all do you use the rig for?
Iwill DH800, OCZ4002048PFDC-K 2.5-3-3-8-1t, dual Prestionia Xeons 2.4 M0, CoolerMaster E3W-NPTXS-04 heatpipes, Antec 550W TP EPS12V, AMS gTower CF1006, XFX nVidia GF6600GT dual DVI, WD 74Gb Raptor & 250GB SATA, NEC 3500A/G DL DVD±R/W, Samsung 16x DVD-ROM, Hauppauge WinPVR 150.

It's my fave becuse it's a very powerful dual processor machine that I worked months on studying compatibility issues for and sourcing premium parts. I use the rig for anything I want such as ~550PPD FAH and any other intensive application I can find for fun or profit. It's fun to be folding two QMDs and still have lots of juice left for watching a video while encoding VBR mp3s, at the same time all the other machines on the LAN can play media files off the hard drive, etc. Even with all this going on, my dullie never even blinks.

Do you have a Borg-Farm? If so, how many computers, and what are they? (CPU, RAM)
I only get to borg my household so here's everything I've got:
Iwill DH800, 2GB OCZ4002048PFDC-K 2.5-3-3-8-1t, Dual 2.4 M0 Xeons 1.5v/880/3300 > 2xF@H 24/7
Shuttle-X SB65G2, Corsair TwinX 2x256 2-3-2-6, P4 3.0C 1.5v/800/3000 > F@H 24/7
Abit NF7-S v2.0, KHX3200A/512, Barton AQXEA 0331 XPMW 1.7v/200/2200 > F@H 24/7
Shuttle SK41G, 512Mb Kingston PC2700, XP1700 DUT3C Tbred-B 1.6v/145/1600 > F@H 24/7

What are your future goals? What do you most want to accomplish with your life?
Get a better career and not die in poverty. Well so far I've raised two children into decent adults (25 & 22). I've been a jack of many trades but master of none. I'd like to end my life not regretting how things turned out. Right now things are too hard on my family due to the new service ecconomy. I was middle class in 2000 but it all when South in 2001 along with most of the good jobs here :rolleyes:

I do want to build many more rigs as that is one of the most enjoyable hobbies I have. My next project is to build a dual core AMD64 system that can soundly spank my Xeon duallie.

If there is something you want to tell the team, then spill your guts! What have I missed in my questions that could help the team learn more about you and who you are?
Too late Frank, I think I've spilled 'em all by this point LOL :p

audioaficionadoavatar1cc.jpg

Last edited:
Building speakers eh? I knew there was more to your forum name than folding :)
Nice to know more about you and maybe you can build me a pair of speakers sometime?
I'm a bit of an audiophile myself.

OT: Hey Audio can you point me in the right direction as to how I go about learning how to build my own set of speakers? It sounds very interesting and I would love to give it a shot.

stratcatprowlin said:
Building speakers eh? I knew there was more to your forum name than folding :)
Nice to know more about you and maybe you can build me a pair of speakers sometime?
I'm a bit of an audiophile myself.
Ad Rock said:
OT: Hey Audio can you point me in the right direction as to how I go about learning how to build my own set of speakers? It sounds very interesting and I would love to give it a shot.
http://ldsg.snippets.org/
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/
http://www.parts-express.com/
http://www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/index.htm
http://www.madisound.com/

These are a few good starting points.

Very glad to meet you (some more) Audio. :) :cool:

You seem like a kindred spirit is so many ways having read so many of your posts. And I have huge respect for your perseverence :thup:

Fold On!

:beer: :beer:

Good to meet you Audio, I'll trade townships with you... j/k. :p

I built speakers in the past but not audio tuned or modeled. They never sounded as good as real ones but hey, they cost a hell of a lot less.

pscout said:
Very glad to meet you (some more) Audio. :) :cool:

You seem like a kindred spirit is so many ways having read so many of your posts. And I have huge respect for your perseverence :thup:

Fold On!

:beer: :beer:
I'm a postin' fool alright :p
I think I'm #23 here at OCForums ~6,723 or so including this one :)

Nice to meet you Audio! :) I think your dedication to OCF over the years is incredible! :thup: ...it's people like you that make OCF the great place it is. Kudos to you my friend! :beer:

FOLD ON!

harlam357 said:
Nice to meet you Audio! :) I think your dedication to OCF over the years is incredible! :thup: ...it's people like you that make OCF the great place it is. Kudos to you my friend! :beer:

FOLD ON!

can't say it any better myself...except for this little tid bit:

FOLD ON!! :attn:

:D

well guys... i got his ugly mug up here and fixed. Turned out I made a slight mistake and didn't realize it. Seems that if you each image counts as a smiley! So if you add in too many smilies like it seems i accidently did, then it won't let you post the image!

Anyways.... just thought you'd like to see his face up here. Was once his avatar for those that remember it.

Back