• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan and Rad Combo - I'm confused.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

absolutelymods

Hi everyone,
This is my second post and in a few words, I have decided to jump totally into the deep end and do what I do best, get myself into trouble. I have decided to build.... or at least try to build a high end custom cooled build. After a heap of research and reading, I have managed to devise a list of parts and components I want to include in the build.
I won't go through that in this thread as it's for cooling suffice it to say I have purchased a couple of D5/MCP655 pumps and a couple of Bitspower Pump Kits with a Dual Mod Top. I intent to run a dual pump config with the 1 loop, cooling the CPU, Mother Board, RAM, GPU and Aquaero 6. I think I should be OK with the 1 loop, I hope anyway.
So my dilemma now is the radiators and the fans. I should mention I am going with the Case Labs Magnum STH10 or TH10. I think however it will be the latter, only because of the space limitations in the STH10. So anyhow, I have heard and have been told that as a beginner I should be concentrating on using 120mm fans. This would mean that 140s would be a more complicated set up. Great, so if that is truly the case, I would like to go with 140mm fans.
My intention would be to run 2x560mm rads and another rad probably a 420. I would really ove the build silent and powerful and this is where I get stuck.
I would love to have push pull on the 560s but have heard that will make it louder. Would anyone be able to help me with my choice. I have been looking at the NoiseBlocker Black Silent Pros and ELoop but also the Noctua, but when it came to the rads, I really got stuck.
So can anyone suggest a fan and rad combination that is going to be well and truly quiet with great performance. Not to sound like a hero, but I really don't have a budget in mind, as long as they are not ridiculously priced, that's OK.
I am ultimately wanting to over clock the hell out of the system and soon will post my specs on the site.
I hope someone can help me out, it's great to be here.

Couple of things, cooling the mobo and ram is unnecessary. You can do what you want, but just be aware that you won't see any gains from it. Also, you might have better luck in the WC boards, you can just ask a mod to move this thread there - should you so choose (don't create a new one).

Also, I don't know what your components are, but you're probably getting way more rad than you need, just so you're aware.

As far as fans, push-pull will naturally be louder for the same fans. Two fans is louder than one, period. That said, how much louder is a little bit complicated, you might not be able to tell the difference in volume between two fans and one. For the same cooling, however, push-pull is generally quieter, as you can run your fans at a lower speed (and thus they will be quieter.

In terms of which fans, I like gentle typhoons in 25mm and delta AFB1212 variants in 38mm. There's some good testing on a variety of fans out there by martinm, it may be at martin's liquid labs, or maybe XS or OCN or something...I don't remember where and I'm on my way out, so I can't find it for you. If you can't find it just post and I'll get it when I get back.

Also, I don't know what your components are, but you're probably getting way more rad than you need, just so you're aware.

Thanks for your comments, I will certainly look into them. Now I have dropped a link to my fists video and yes I know it's pretty bad but as i suggests, I am a beginner and my components list is on there. Judging by your comments, I will not need half the amount of components.

If you have a spare 7 minutes, I would be curious to see what you think. I am basically wanting to achieve something really cool fast, quiet and well amazing!!

Thanks again for your comments.

If you could simply make a list of your components in a post that would be more beneficial for you recieving the help you want than having to sift through a youtube video.

If you could simply make a list of your components in a post that would be more beneficial for you recieving the help you want than having to sift through a youtube video.

Of course.... sorry about that. Now the list is not yet complete as you will see. No rads, fans (hence the thread) and no GPUs also. There is a lot more that is not yet included as TBH I am just really stuck :

SYSYEM :
Core i7-4960K Extreme Edition
P9X79 WS
Dominator Platinum Series 64g (8x8) 2133 or 24004 x samsung
840 series 250gb ssd drives
4 x wd red 4tb SATA HDD (RAID)
Corsair AX 1200i
Aquaero 6 Fan / Cooling Controller
Case Labs Magnum STH10

WATER COLLING :
Koolance PMP450 (Vario) D5 Pump
Bitspower D5 Mod Kit x 2
Bitspower Dual D5 Mod Top
Bitspower Upgrade 250mm Reservoir
Bitspower Black Sparkle Fittings

One thing I should mention is that due to the work I will be doing on this rig, I am seriously considering making it a Hakintosh or at least Dual Boot.

Thanks again and sorry about the confusion.

Back