• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan causing system to shut off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
well, i had modded a fan plug to plug into the 5v rail so the htpc started to shut off randomly after i assembled it a couple months ago. i so i was thinking about it..
i knew i had modded the fan to run on either 5 or 7 v i was like well maybe the psu isnt liking the 7 v mod with the voltage feeding back in the psu then i realised i had done 5v on it.

long story short i unplugged the fan and it stopped randomly shutting off. lol

is this even possible? lmfao

Can you show us how you did the mod? If you wire it wrong, it can certainly cause the power supply to think it is in danger and shut off.

its just a molex to 3pin that i popped out the two molex pins and put them in the 5v position it has ran for months before it has caused any issues maybe the fan is shorting periodically?

the red and the black next to it are the ones used.

7v mod isn't good to your psu anyway, current isn't supposed to go back to the power supply,its probably thinking its shorting out, or its shorting out for real.
either one of them

7v mod isn't good to your psu anyway, current isn't supposed to go back to the power supply,its probably thinking its shorting out, or its shorting out for real.
either one of them

but im not using the 7v mod the fan is just running off of the 5v + and - on the molex connector.

As long as the fan isn't faulty, that should work fine. If you switch it back to 12v, does it fail as well?

idk ive just left it unplugged and the pc has been running for about 6+ hours now and hasnt shut off lol
i guess it was the fan il plug it in and see what happens

Back