• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan control question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So if I use the asus software ai suite 2 and connect the fan to the adapter that make the power use a molex cable and the third wire goes to a pwm splitter that connect multiple fan that way will it work? To control my fan or am I missing something?

If I'm powering the fans threw a molex connector and just us PMW for the fan control will that be using the full amp of the fans? Like right now I want run 6 GT AP-15 fans for my 2 rad, fan say 0.083A at rated but to start it is 0.36A if I do the math at boot up will pull 2.16A for 6 and 0.498A after that correct but If I us molex will that still be the same?
You cannot control those fans with your motherboard's PWM header. They are not PWM fans.

It was brought up before by KurtBlanken, but nobody seemed to heed his advice.

Edit: What you would need if you wanted to control those fans via PWM is a rheobus controller that can control non-PWM fans using a PWM signal, and connect THAT to your motherboard. For example, Sunbeam makes some Rheosmart controllers that can do the job:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...Controller_-_Black_PL-RS-3.html?tl=c17s239b17
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...Controller_-_Black_PL-RS-6.html?tl=c17s239b17

Because they're connected directly to your motherboard and your motherboard allows control of non PWM fans. The way it does so is to regulate the voltage to those fans. A PWM signal by itself can only control PWM devices.

If the OP wanted to control the fans with his motherboard, then he would need to connect the fans directly to his motherboard so that it can provide the current to those fans. If he has enough headers, then that's possible. It is not advisable to connect all six fans to a single header as that will fry things.

Edit:

Non-PWM fans are controlled by voltage. 12V is max, and to decrease the speed you decrease the voltage.

PWM fans are controlled via a PWM signal. A steady 12V is provided by the motherboard, but the speed of the fan is regulated by the PWM signal the motherboard sends to the fan.

Because they're connected directly to your motherboard and your motherboard allows control of non PWM fans. The way it does so is to regulate the voltage to those fans. A PWM signal by itself can only control PWM devices.

If the OP wanted to control the fans with his motherboard, then he would need to connect the fans directly to his motherboard so that it can provide the current to those fans. If he has enough headers, then that's possible. It is not advisable to connect all six fans to a single header as that will fry things.

ok thanks for clear this up for me... and i don't really have enough header ya i have 8 on my board but I also have a pump, and 3 other case fan too to add make that total of 10 connection... also later on I probably set it up to be a push pull on my 2 rad that will be add another 6 make a total of 16... i guess i have to look into a rheobus controllers

he has 8 connectors... says the website

I was try to make it so i can change one fan setting for my rad and it would change all the fans on it not just one at a time also... but i guess i also didn't mention the other fans just the rad ones my bad sorry brian ><

oh well there is alway this option there for you. curious what case is it?

it a 800D I have one rad that will be mounted externally on the back just wait for my bracket, and one that will be mount on the top.

Back