• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan exhaust problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kniferz

Hello , I'm looking for some advice on a problem I have with my cooling. The problem is that my CPUs cooler exhaust (Noctua NH-U9B SE2) faces up at my case, which would not be a problem if it had a fan there. Since I don't it is starting to overheat in the hot summer weather.

I would like to solve the problem and not spend a fortune , so I'm looking for some advice from you guys, because I don't know what would be best, replace the cooler, case or motherboard?

motherboard : gigabyte 990xa-ud3
case : PRO917B TITUS X
cpu socket : am3+

Thanks for any advice guys!

Sadly I can't rotate the mounting bars :/ and I have considered drilling a few holes but it would be less then optimal, just too ghetto

Sadly I can't rotate the mounting bars :/ and I have considered drilling a few holes but it would be less then optimal, just too ghetto

Don't drill a few holes... cut out a "big" circular or rectangular hole or two - fan sized and finish off with a nice fan or radiator grill (to hide the scratches & bungled & asymmetric hole). I'm pretty sure instructions for that have been floating around since 1992 :D

Fan grills: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=36_91
Rad grills: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_457_362

Still cheaper as a new case... although you can get a good case for about $100,-

You can cut fan holes with an acetylene torch, too but it's a little hard on the paint job of the case. Just make sure you take the motherboard out first.

Last edited:
You can cut fan holes with an acetylene torch, too but it's a little hard on the pain job of the case. Just make sure you take the motherboard out first.
:rofl:

well, if you can suggest a bit drastic... so can i :
get a mossberg or remington and some double or triple ought buckshot :D

DO take out MB and everything which you dont want demaged out first thou :)

Seriously, cutting a fanhole is not rocket science, easy enough to do, just dont cut your fingers off

:rofl:

well, if you can suggest a bit drastic... so can i :
get a mossberg or remington and some double or triple ought buckshot :D

DO take out MB and everything which you dont want demaged out first thou :)

Seriously, cutting a fanhole is not rocket science, easy enough to do, just dont cut your fingers off

Yeah! If you got the right barrel choke and distance the hole should come out the correct size. You could experiment with the refrigerator to get it down.

Yeah! If you got the right barrel choke and distance the hole should come out the correct size. You could experiment with the refrigerator to get it down.

just dont point in the direction of the shed housing the still...

and dont point in the direction of my brand new '77 camaro slumped on concrete blocks next to my double-wide neither

...lol.... after ghetto modding/rigging.... redneck modding

mullet_removal.jpg
ok, enough with the hijack

Drilling a bunch of holes is the easiest/cheapest way.
If you mark a pattern out beforehand and clean the holes up it'll look pretty decent too.

Alternatively you can enforce your will on the heatsink exhaust air.
I was going to describe this, but pictures are easier.
Black is the heatsink. Blue is the case, blue line is cardboard or something. Orange is fans.

fan setup.png

You could also just mount the sideways blowing fan directly to the heatsink, if you have room in the case. That'd probably be easier.
In any case the idea is to make sure that the heated air makes the right choice, and turns towards the rear exhaust fan.

You could also just block off the other direction of course, so it can't go that way.

If you have a dremel and a drill, maybe even an extra fan laying around...

Here are some options

20140411_150543.jpg
20140412_143446.jpg
20140618_211244.jpg
20131103_151259.jpg
20131103_152350.jpg

Of course you'd want to do this to the top.

Thanks for the replies guys. The most decent thing to do would be just to replace the case, for now i just added a fan, somewhat like bobnova showed
Max temp is down by 13°C so it will do for a while, still don't like it getting so hot :|

Would it be better if the case had a top exhaust fan or just holes btw, im using a fan on each side of the heatsink
, so i'm not sure if it would just get in the way or would it work out better

-13C is phenominal knifer! I would put a fan out the top personally, but if you don't get any temp difference with or without the fan then no point creating more noise/power draw.

EDIT: Post up some pics when its all said and done. I love reviewing other members rigs.

Take the side panel off and see how much difference that makes in your temps.

Back