• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan has spontaneously stopped spinning.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did your cooler come with a second set of fan mounts? If not, you may be able to find them on amazon, or through Cooler Master.

The 212 includes a second fan mount. But as it turns out, the heatsink is not restrictive enough to benefit much from doubling up fans.

The 212 includes a second fan mount. But as it turns out, the heatsink is not restrictive enough to benefit much from doubling up fans.

However.....
if you replace the original with a lower specs (less psi, less fpm, less rpm) it *might* be beneficial to go push-pull -> eg same performance, less noise

It depends on the specs of the original fan... most CPU-HS fans are NOT case fans. Most CPU-HS fans have higher static pressure & rpm (upto 3000 rpm) as case fans.
So, replacing a 3000 RPM, 3mmH²O "screamer" with a 1000 RPM, 0.6mmH²O case fan is NOT a good idea... while making less noise, it will also be less performant. In such a case it might be better to go push/pull.
So,.... it all depends :)

Of course, if you're gonna mount AP-15s to the HS... it doesn't matter :)

Golden Rule(s) for Fans:
CHEAP + SILENT = NO PERFORMANCE
CHEAP + PERFORMANCE = NOT SILENT
SILENT + PERFORMANCE = NOT CHEAP

+Most SILENT CaseFans are not well suited for CPU-HS-Towers or Radiators

Right, I've been super lazy about this and honestly have just had my CPU underclocked and idling at 45C since I last posted here. I now have around 30GBP to spare and I'm completely free until Monday. So, quickly:

1) Is the consensus one fan or two? (Info: My PSU is at the bottom blowing air upwards, there's a few case fans all on, two video cards and a sound card right in the middle of it all.)

2) Just going to double check that everyone still regards these (as posted previously) in high regard: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-Case-Gentle-Typhoon-D1225C12B5AP-15/.

I hope to order tomorrow (it's just gone midnight here in England). Thanks! :)

Right, I've been super lazy about this and honestly have just had my CPU underclocked and idling at 45C since I last posted here. I now have around 30GBP to spare and I'm completely free until Monday. So, quickly:

1) Is the consensus one fan or two? (Info: My PSU is at the bottom blowing air upwards, there's a few case fans all on, two video cards and a sound card right in the middle of it all.)

2) Just going to double check that everyone still regards these (as posted previously) in high regard: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-Case-Gentle-Typhoon-D1225C12B5AP-15/.

I hope to order tomorrow (it's just gone midnight here in England). Thanks! :)

1) If you have ever tried with a wisp of tissue, I'm sure that you will discover that your PSU pulls air in from the top (or bottom) and blows it out the back -- not into the case.

2) If you can get them, get yourself a Gentle Typhoon or two. The current Scythe stocks look to be the last -- after they are gone, the GT's will be much harder to get.

I've ordered one Gentle Typhoon and will fit it as soon as it arrives... I do hate having my CPU stuck at 3.6GHz. There's a noticeable performance delta between that and 4.4GHz in CPU-intensive applications (as you'd probably expect).

You're probably right about that ehume, I'll have a look when I receive the fan.

I'll be waiting a bit longer before really looking into additional fans and all of that push/pull stuff. I'm mildly familiar but not enough-so to warrant buying another fan; plus I wouldn't even know where to begin with the stock fans in my case.

Thanks everyone! You can be sure I'll be back if the new fan doesn't work... (ohgodplsno)

Just thought I'd update that I installed it a couple of weeks ago and it's all running smoothly. CPU once again overclocked like it used to be and temperatures are back to where they should be!

Back