• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Submerged CPU fan struggles to spin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry, you mentioned a D5 and he already got one... if the fan works, it works, but if it works, a lot will burn out pretty quick because of the stress of trying to run in such a viscous liquid. They are not meant to run like that.

I understand that there will be a breaking point on a fan running max all the time. But the Oil also keeps the fan well oiled.

I have seen many people with fans in the oil rigs, but with both fans and pumps having big issues, im curious as to which oil is being used, it seems like one thats slightly thicker? Since both fan and pumps are having issues.

I'd go for one of the Noctua ip67 Industrial fans. They are designed to get wet / be submerged. But, no LEDs, sadly...

And I would also recommend the aquarium pump. Any PC watercooling pump is designed to push water through a tube, not constantly circulate a body of water.

I understand that there will be a breaking point on a fan running max all the time. But the Oil also keeps the fan well oiled.
You are not understanding what I am saying. :)

A fan can run at 100% in air for the life of its warranty (it better!). The problem comes, as I said, is with it trying to run in the oil. It will burn most motors out sooner rather than later due to the additional stress of running in a viscous liquid, regardless if the fan is 'well oiled'. That isn't the problem.

I fully understand, and i do know that the oil adds friction, thats pretty basic. Electronicly i will die faster due to high volt, but mechanically it will be good for longer.

But this isnt getting us anywhere :) I still think there could be a different reason, maybe the oil is a thicker type then others use?

Thanks for the input guys. yes I will keep the NH-D15 by Noctua in mind next time I want to upgrade something on the pc. Looks my problems are solved. I replaced the pump with an aquarium pump and that is flowing the oil now (a little noisy but I guess I have to put up with it). The cpu fan seems to do a longer spin once the temp of the oil goes higher. I also set the outlet of the cooled oil in front of the fan and that's seem to be enough. I finally had enough confidence to turn on the pc and test. when setting up windows and installing programs the temp is so low that I dint have the pump on. then installed Far Cry 4 and played it ( while the pump is on) temp seems to hang around 50~60 C. I think the limit would be 90C so its all good for now...Until summer is back!

I will post some pics for the finished product :)

Thanks for the input guys. yes I will keep the NH-D15 by Noctua in mind next time I want to upgrade something on the pc. Looks my problems are solved. I replaced the pump with an aquarium pump and that is flowing the oil now (a little noisy but I guess I have to put up with it). The cpu fan seems to do a longer spin once the temp of the oil goes higher. I also set the outlet of the cooled oil in front of the fan and that's seem to be enough. I finally had enough confidence to turn on the pc and test. when setting up windows and installing programs the temp is so low that I dint have the pump on. then installed Far Cry 4 and played it ( while the pump is on) temp seems to hang around 50~60 C. I think the limit would be 90C so its all good for now...Until summer is back!

I will post some pics for the finished product :)

http://postimg.org/gallery/27k5oe3s4/

Just out of curiosity does the mineral oil ever have to be drained and replaced?

I don't think so. oils in engines would get much more of a beating and higher temperatures that would make the oil break down (at the molecular characteristics of the oil)

The cpu fan seems to do a longer spin once the temp of the oil goes higher.

Sounds like the CPU fan setting in the BIOS is not at 100%. Unless it's just the viscosity of the oil changing as the temps rise allowing the fan to spin with less resistance in the thinner oil.

I think I have some fans that will spin in that oil. Can't plug them into the mobo fan header though unless you want to see sparks!

Curious if they would start pushing the mobo around in the oil like a submarine!

Yes the only thing i regret not researching more is different grades of mineral oil. its looks like the mineral oil i bought (from Ikea) could be a lower grade and so its more viscous. By the way once I start gaming and the oil gets hotter the fan seems to perform better which perfect as I only want it to push the hot oil away from the heatsink ( the cooled oil output is right next to the fan as well)

This may sound odd, but can you provide us with some pictures of back side of your pc?

How does that copper contraption work exactly?

Have you thought of using an aquarium chiller to keep the oil temps low?

Have you thought of using an aquarium chiller to keep the oil temps low?
Does a aquarium chiller have the capacity to keep CONSTANT heatloads, like a couple hundred watts, low?

Does a aquarium chiller have the capacity to keep CONSTANT heatloads, like a couple hundred watts, low?

Aquarium chillers are designed to keep very large fishtanks cooler than room temperature. Depending on what chiller you buy you can chill 80 gallons of saltwater 20 degrees F.

I'm not sure about constant heatloads, but I know a chiller can run 24/7 without a problem.

It's not liquid nitrogen, but it could help.

Right. But the important part is the couple hundred watt heatload... they aren't meant to chill that.

Kinda depends on the size of the chiller. Hailea chillers have been used for years and years. Bigger ones can handle the load, but now your getting expensive. Talking in the four figure range. Not worth it.

Back