• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan input needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mago

waiting on Cooler Master Mega Flow 200 mm amd MX 4.
is that a good fan? or is there better to be had ?
also how does MX 4 stack up?

I like the H80 i think i may get that next how much better is that than what i currently have Asetek 550 Lc?

Cheers

Moved this out of the other thread, and into the aircooling forum - you should get more help in this section of the site, as these guys know their fans. Welcome to the forums. :welcome:

Not sure about the fan or paste myself, but someone else will pitch in soon. :)

I think that's one of the better 200mm fans, I don't really know that much about fans that large though. Most of the fans I spend time researching are 120x38mm 5000+ rpm jobbies :shock:
MX-4 I am familiar with though, it's quite hard to beat!

waiting on Cooler Master Mega Flow 200 mm amd MX 4.
is that a good fan? or is there better to be had ?
also how does MX 4 stack up?

I like the H80 i think i may get that next how much better is that than what i currently have Asetek 550 Lc?

Cheers

Whether the fan is a good one or not depends on what use you plan on giving it.

Are the megaflow good fans? Sure. It will work at its rated specs and it will do what it is advertised to do, but what is your expectation of it? Are you putting it up on a case as an intake/exhaust fan? If that is the use you plan on giving it; it will do it without a problem.

i have a CM enforcer case have same fan in take plan on placing this one on top 200 in 200 out , currently have 2 120 at top wondering which would be better and wanted to try it out.

also wondering i havea Asetek 550 LC thinking of a H80 is there a hugh difference between the 2.

I don't think the H80 would be that much of an improvement over the Asetek 550; if you were to go with H100 you'd see an improvement, but the H80 and the 550LC are pretty much the same in cooling capabilities.

thanks for the advice...my case wont fit the 100.....
i guess the 550 is a decent cooler then....:)
i will consider a bigger case on the next build...:thup:

I don't think the H80 would be that much of an improvement over the Asetek 550; if you were to go with H100 you'd see an improvement, but the H80 and the 550LC are pretty much the same in cooling capabilities.

I think you are a bit off on your advice there SebaS. Looking at the 550LC product page, it looks to be comparable to the old Corsair H50. The 570LC system looks to be comparable to the H70 system. And the H80 is quite a bit better than the H70 in itself. So I would think he would see a good boost in cooling performance with an H80 as compared to his present 550LC. Corsair switched from Asetek to CoolIt! as their oem from their first gen LCLC units to their second gen models and CoolIt! definitely stepped up to the plate with better performing units.

Mago, I think you would see a definite performance improvement by going to the H80. The rad on the H80 is much thicker than the one used on the H100, which helps close the difference in surface area between the 2. I haven't tested the H100, but I have tested the H80, H70 and H50. And I saw quite a bit of performance gain between the H50 (which looks much like your unit) and the H70 and H80.

thanks muddoktor... so the 550LC is sort of older thechnology?
are there different models of the H80? If so what do you suggest?

I use 2 of the Cooler Master 200 mm fans on a CM 912 case, they move good air, are quiet, and are fine for me. I like less wires to cope with.
From my reading two high performance 120 or 140 mm fans will move more CFM.
The CM 200mm are rated 110 CFM and appear to have good static pressure.
The ANTEC Big Boy is stronger, but will not fit all cases (not my 912 without dremel work).
Two Gentle Typhoon fans would be better, at least the higher rpm ones.

The CM R-4 2000rpm fans are rated 69 cfm each (most complaints feel CM CFM rating are high) and some report these fans as noisy. As you see the theoretical difference would be 110 cfm vs 2x 69 or 138 cfm. I think there may be advantages or scale to the airflow but have seen no information on this.

Yea the 2 CM 200mm are doing well with intake / exhaust.
Im happy with that, i also dont like alot of wires, however all my fans plug into the mobo..... i read one post that someone suggested to get a fan controler and plug all fans through molex would be a better option, so i am considering heavily in doing that.
I think i will upgrade to the H80, i have some stock fans on my 550 i want really good 120 fans for the rad....any suggestions on that....

Using a fan controller for slow fans seems a waste.
I bought Phobya fan header from I think frozencpu, will check, about $6 and shipping, uses a molex 4 pin power supply plug and has 6 fan 3 pin motherboard type connectors.
It attaches to case with velcro, size about 2 x1 inch.

Gelid makes some internal fan controlers good for one or two fans for "set ans forget" IE you have to open case to change speed. Zalman also.

For radiators you want high static pressure fans, "best depends on fin placement (distance between fins changes requirements)", Gentle Typhoon, Phobya, and many others are debated.
There is a strong noise vs performance factor involved (again).
Yate Loon are the least expensive with possible recommendations. I have read of various Scythe, Thermalright (TB-?TY?), Noctua (great or overrated), Cooler Master Excalibur, new Cougar fans had a good review.
AS is obvious research is inconclusive, lol..

Last edited:
what about the delta fans ive seen those with 240 cfm, how can i tell the static pressure. is static pressure = cfm and resistance?

Static pressure is a measure of the ability to force air thru resistance. Explainations are not clear to me, I would not worry about Static Pressure using a high speed Delta.
Ear plugs I would worry about. Every 3 db Doubles the sound level.

You are enterring the "learning curve zone", make a choice see what happens. Or google till convinced.
Basically you can probably find a pair of Gentle Typhoon btwn 1600-2000 rpm or close to it, low noise ball bearing fans and always in short supply, easy to sell off say $40 shipped.
A pair of Yate Loon 3000 rpm 120 mm sleeve bearing fans are about $8-9 each.
Cooler Master R-4 2000 RPM 120MM similar.

i just read that the Delta AFB1212GHE-CF00 120mm Case Fan hast a static pressure of 27.48.
not sure how that rates but im guessing very very well.. i prolly can just use one and set it up to pull on the radiator and have enough. i think a push pull may be overkill.
appreciate the help and i never really reasearched fans or known what to look for when assessing needs or where to place them.:attn:

thanks i will be :comp: looking for the best fit.

Good. Its always a learning curve and a need to know basis. Often just knowing there is something to look for is hard enough to discover.
And a Static Pressure of 27.48 is indeed massive by standard fan measures.

The fans that come with the H80 are plenty enough fan to keep your system cool and comfortable. There is no need to upgrade them to higher, noisier models such as Delta fans. Plus, if you go adding 38 mm thick fans, the rad/fan assembly will protrude more into the case towards the processor area by another inch, making it harder to work in there and be cramped up more. As for the case fans, I find that the Coolermaster Megaflow 200 fans do a good job of cooling the HAF922 system in my sig, but the HAF also has open mesh instead of a window on the side door. I would advise you to do the H80 upgrade first and see how things work out. Them, you could upgrade case cooling if needed. And when installing the H80, try configuring the rad fans both ways and see how your temps are. You might find that temps will be better with the fans blowing out on the rad instead of blowing into the case.

Back