• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Placement and General cooling help appreciated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archvile

Hail all, first time here and I have a question on fan placement! First I'll give a quick low down on my situation, lately I've been getting some hot spells on my CPU and case temps running around 55-60c Idle for cpu (which is a 3.00 Prescott) and 43c on the case temp.

I thought that was a bit hot so I started switching around fans and what not, currently I have a couple 6000 rpm vantec tornados ordered with a new GPU fan as well. Before I switched the flow the side fan blew in, the two back blew out, and the two front blew in.

As of now after switching the flow I have 2 fans in the front blowing in my, PS of course blowing out, 2 fans in the back blowing in, and a fan on the side blowing out, all 80mm. This is all before I switch them out for the new vantecs coming hopefully sometime in the next couple days.

Now I'm around 50c idle and 36c case but that's before testing as it is late and I'll get to that tomorrow, but the problem I was involved either hard locks or complete booting out of any 3D app or just a freeze.

Well now that I've rambled on I want to ask if what I changed to flow to is any better than what I had it as, to me it does but I want to get some more oppinions, and ANY other cooling ideas or tips would be GREATLY appreciated :). Hopefully this will get some replys as I'll check it when I wake up!

EDIT: For the temp readings I'm using MBM5

Thanks all!

-Jim-

:welcome:

normally, front to back (in to out) is the best but it can vary with the addition of a side panel fan (usually good for intake).

I would definitely clear any obstructions that may impede air flowing from front to back. Cables are the biggest problem.

what case exactly do you have? and the rest of your system components?

if you're not against cutting your case, have you considered ducting? if the side panel fan is close enough to the CPU, you could try putting a duct directly from that fan to the CPU.

The case I have is a RAIDMAX the link is basicly what I have except for color and a couple diff. things on the outside of it. It's done really well so far, though I'll probably get a thermaltake as cash flow increases but it's what I'm stuck with so far hehe. Three of the fans I'm using are stock fans it came with, but like I said I have the vantecs inbound so I'll be switching atleast a couple out, and no I never thought about ducting, could you enlighten me?

Also on the dust comment just last week I took a vacuum to the whole case and cleaned er out really good, I didn't have any canned air as I call it :p, but I'll get some today and shoot up the CPU and heatsink really good and see what happens.

Thanks all!

-Jim-

Back