• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dopa

Registered
Hey guys.. For the upcoming project that I'm planning I will be using the EK Coolstream XE 360.. It's a pretty thick rad and I want to use the Corsair HD120 fans on it. I did check the static pressure and air flow and they are pretty similar to the Noiseblockers I already own. Do you think they are good for rads? Is pull configuration enough or am I gonna need push/pull conf?
Thanks in advance!

I don't see any issues with that. If I'm only using 1 set of fans for a rad, I prefer pull.

Try this experiment: Get a regular soft drink straw and do these:

1) Using the pull method (as you would to sip from the straw), keep your fingers at the tip of the straw (but don't block the airway) and suck air in. Notice how cool the tip of your fingers get.

2) Do the same, but this time use the push method by blowing air through the straw and see how cool your fingertips get. Now you decide which way you want to go ;)

Going push/pull is more of a preference and you'll notice a few degree drop in temps. Really up to you if you want to go this route and you're not space restricted.

I don't see any issues with that. If I'm only using 1 set of fans for a rad, I prefer pull.

Try this experiment: Get a regular soft drink straw and do these:

1) Using the pull method (as you would to sip from the straw), keep your fingers at the tip of the straw (but don't block the airway) and suck air in. Notice how cool the tip of your fingers get.

2) Do the same, but this time use the push method by blowing air through the straw and see how cool your fingertips get. Now you decide which way you want to go ;)

Going push/pull is more of a preference and you'll notice a few degree drop in temps. Really up to you if you want to go this route and you're not space restricted.

Pull it is! :p How much difference would I see in push/pull? 2-3C or is it more than that?

Pull it is! :p How much difference would I see in push/pull? 2-3C or is it more than that?

More or less between 3-5c. Again it's a preference and if you're not space limited since the EK Coolstream XE 360 is a thick rad and the mounting location in the case. Some cases a thick rad ontop will only allow push or pull, not both as the top edge of the motherboard will be soo close you won't be able to get to the 8Pin EPS connector or fan headers or memory slots in that area. In other cases using the front with push/pull will result in losing HDD cages and having a long video card will prevent it.

More or less between 3-5c. Again it's a preference and if you're not space limited since the EK Coolstream XE 360 is a thick rad and the mounting location in the case. Some cases a thick rad ontop will only allow push or pull, not both as the top edge of the motherboard will be soo close you won't be able to get to the 8Pin EPS connector or fan headers or memory slots in that area. In other cases using the front with push/pull will result in losing HDD cages and having a long video card will prevent it.

Yea, I won't be having that much space I guess.. I have a Fractal Design Define S which I will mod but still, it wont have that much space for push/pull.. Are the HD120 good fans for radiators? Most people use GTs, NBs and Vardars but I didn't find anything on google about the HD120s mounted on rads.

Static Pressure is 2.25 mmH20 so they'll do nicely. More static pressure is always good, but the issue with that is noise. I don't see anything wrong with those.

Static Pressure is 2.25 mmH20 so they'll do nicely. More static pressure is always good, but the issue with that is noise. I don't see anything wrong with those.

Very well then.. I will be using them on my upcoming project.. Too bad they can't be controlled via Asus AURA though ;/

The original GTs are the best but hard to find. They're rebranded to darkside now. So any of these should suffice.

Yea, I won't be having that much space I guess.. I have a Fractal Design Define S which I will mod but still, it wont have that much space for push/pull.. Are the HD120 good fans for radiators? Most people use GTs, NBs and Vardars but I didn't find anything on google about the HD120s mounted on rads.

If you put the rad in the front you will have plenty of room for a push pull if useing a tline vs a rez

If you put the rad in the front you will have plenty of room for a push pull if useing a tline vs a rez

The actual rez will be custom and it will be on the back side of the case.In the back of the case to be exact. So it won't occupy any space.. I will most probably go pull configuration and just have them at high rpm to get that static pressure to work. Thank you all for the input on the matter :)

Are you going with 1 rad or 2 ? If you stuck a 2x120 on the top of the case with the 3x120 in the front you could use slower rpm fans with less noise ( this is my loop) . The next time I upgrade my loop I will be adding a 140mm rad to the rear exaust and one on the bottom intake .

Are you going with 1 rad or 2 ? If you stuck a 2x120 on the top of the case with the 3x120 in the front you could use slower rpm fans with less noise ( this is my loop) . The next time I upgrade my loop I will be adding a 140mm rad to the rear exaust and one on the bottom intake .

Nah, will have one rad on the front.. Assuming that the Coffee Lake and the new GPUs will have the same or lower TDP, then the XE rad is a bit of an overkill? I might go for a PE instead. Still a bit early to say but I'm making lists of the things I need and planning the whole system..

Hey guys.. For the upcoming project that I'm planning I will be using the EK Coolstream XE 360.. It's a pretty thick rad and I want to use the Corsair HD120 fans on it. I did check the static pressure and air flow and they are pretty similar to the Noiseblockers I already own. Do you think they are good for rads? Is pull configuration enough or am I gonna need push/pull conf?
Thanks in advance!

Just curious, didn't you recently buy Alphacool radiator? And now you plan on these EK radiator? Does this mean you changed mind about radiator?

Just curious, didn't you recently buy Alphacool radiator? And now you plan on these EK radiator? Does this mean you changed mind about radiator?

Correct! No I didn't change my mind, I just want to try out the EK rads as well :p

I have a Fractal Design Define S just like yours, and i plan to run 240mm in front and 360mm at top. (Both are 30(28)mm tick...those are hardwarelabs)
Top will be push (exhaus), front will be pull, take cool air outside (intake).
Note, the front you can put radiator all way to case and put fan outside. Yes you still will be able to put front cover without problem.

Now this is a good example of what you can do with your case: Fractal Design Define S

I have a Fractal Design Define S just like yours, and i plan to run 240mm in front and 360mm at top. (Both are 30(28)mm tick...those are hardwarelabs)
Top will be push (exhaus), front will be pull, take cool air outside (intake).
Note, the front you can put radiator all way to case and put fan outside. Yes you still will be able to put front cover without problem.

Now this is a good example of what you can do with your case: Fractal Design Define S

I know but I want to take advantage of the Corsair HD120 lighting in the pull conf.. Any idea of when the new Nvidia GPUs are coming out?

As nice the Corsair fans look, I hear they can be noisy at low RPMs. Food for thought.

I've also decided to wait for Volta but need to save up for a better screen. Can't find everything the top end at 27"+ screens have for 24". There are some 24" with everything on them except IPS unfortunately.

As nice the Corsair fans look, I hear they can be noisy at low RPMs. Food for thought.

I've also decided to wait for Volta but need to save up for a better screen. Can't find everything the top end at 27"+ screens have for 24". There are some 24" with everything on them except IPS unfortunately.

I do want a curved monitor tbh :p But it costs 1310€ over here and I can't afford it for now.. I'm actually considering going for a light box on the bottom and prolly skip the HD120s.. Dunno yet though..

Back