• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan RPM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

340Duster

would going from 2, to 4 case fans cause the heatsink fan to drop about 300-400 RPM and also fluxuate, do to the load on the PSU?

Yes, it is possible that it causes the rpm to drop, but not due to psu load. Most likely, it is because you have set more exhaust fans in your case, which makes the heatsink fan struggle for air as it is now fighting with other fans.

buy a mac daddy power supply. in my honest opinion, i would not cheap out here. it is only 'cheap' insurance for your pricey components. check either enermax or vantec. i personally have enermax supplies in both my machines and have not run into any issues. knock on closest piece of wood you can find!!

just curious but what kind of power rating, make or model is your power supply? do you have some sort of monitoring prog that records voltages and the like?

the psu is just a L&C 300w unit, not great but it came with my other case and I plan to replace it with an antec when I buy that and a cold cathode when I get my taxes back, and you asked about the voltages, pc alert reports these with only slight load on the computer:

Vcore 1.73
Voltage 1.22
+5v 4.81
3.3v 3.23
+12v 12.1
-12v -13.10

To resolve it fightin with te case fans, you have two options.

1) You can install a passive duct to the heatsink fan. This means a tunnel that is sealed to the heatsink fan, and goes to a hole in your case (eg the side of your case). This duct will feed fresh air to your heatsink fan and you might even notice a drop in temps.

2) Install more intake fans in your case to make up for the negative pressure in your case.

Back