• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans the hard decision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Havent found any 120 fans yet that are quiet at full blast. Am i right?

Not if you want to move more than 120+ CFM. The best thing to do is get a Fan Controller so that you can turn them down when not needed :) One big one to remember... 1 AMP X 12v = 12w. So when you are looking don't cheap out on the 24w per channel controllers. I use the Lamptron FC2 6 channels X 45w per channel to control my Delta's :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...scpid=8&scid=scsho1975063&sdc_id=980608323339

zzzzz
Not if you want to move more than 120+ CFM. The best thing to do is get a Fan Controller so that you can turn them down when not needed :) One big one to remember... 1 AMP X 12v = 12w. So when you are looking don't cheap out on the 24w per channel controllers. I use the Lamptron FC2 6 channels X 45w per channel to control my Delta's :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...scpid=8&scid=scsho1975063&sdc_id=980608323339

I think u miss understood me. All fans at full speed make noise. Yes if u turn them down they make less noise,even noise humans cant hear.:bang head If u have ever used an ultra sound sniffer u will understand what i mean. Less noise less CFM. Unless some genious comes up with a fan blade that makes a noise that humans cant hear>

Last edited:
I'm rocking the Noctua NF-12's and they seem to get the job done quietly. They have run 24/7 for over a year now with issues other than some dust collection which I hit with a can of air every 3 months. I am very picky when it comes to noise levels from my rig and have been very pleased with 4 fans running at 850-1100rpm.

I'm rocking the Noctua NF-12's and they seem to get the job done quietly. They have run 24/7 for over a year now with issues other than some dust collection which I hit with a can of air every 3 months. I am very picky when it comes to noise levels from my rig and have been very pleased with 4 fans running at 850-1100rpm.

U got Peanutbutter in ur ears.

Talk about positive pressure. That'll cover it.

You really should have am intake filter though. :D

Talk about positive pressure. That'll cover it.

You really should have am intake filter though. :D

Jesus. With that volume of cubic feet per minute and the amount of pressure created, I kind of doubt dust is going to be a problem. Any dust it draws in is likely to be impaled in your neighbors stucco rather than stick to anything in your case.

Arkade Biohazard Reporting in :p

My Current Main rig is using 3 Delta AFB1212SH-PWM's on a manual PWM controller as my front fans(Wanting to get a corsair commander mini), The Rear 2 fans are Delta AFB1212SH's hooked to the MB which idles them at 66% speed, my top fans are 2 BitFenix spectre pro 140mm's hooked to the same PWM controller, my side fan(servering as a GPU ducted cooler) is a Delta AFB1212SHE-PWM, my CPU fan is a SanAce 9SG1212P1G01 strapped to a megahalem(Going to soon try different fans in place)

My Alternate Rig is running 4 AFB1212L's at 50% idle for front fans, a single AFB1212HHE for the rear fan idle at 70%, 2 Silverstone 140mm FHP-141's idle at 30% on the bottom, 2 un braned low RPM 240mm fans on top at full speed, 2 PFC1212DE's strapped to Venomous-X's to cool both CPU's, idle at 40%(Have also used AFB1212SH-PWM's in place for quieter runs, and TFC1212DE's for certain runs when my PFC was getting better plugs), a single AFC1212DD servers as my MCH fan idle at 50%, 3 EFB0412VHD's serve as my memory cooling.

Both machines were in a small 7x15ft room in which i slept with them both on and even my significant other slept in here with them. The Main rig makes a nice tone i am in love with and the alt rig makes a loud mechanical motor sound that makes it sound like a damn piece of badass machinery nis in the room. I don't mind it, although the alt rig at lan parties makes heads turn :p

I am using the EK Vardar fan as they came with the L240 kit

here is a comparison of some of the fans mentioned in this thread

17.JPG

Arkade Biohazard Reporting in :p

My Current Main rig is using 3 Delta AFB1212SH-PWM's on a manual PWM controller as my front fans(Wanting to get a corsair commander mini), The Rear 2 fans are Delta AFB1212SH's hooked to the MB which idles them at 66% speed, my top fans are 2 BitFenix spectre pro 140mm's hooked to the same PWM controller, my side fan(servering as a GPU ducted cooler) is a Delta AFB1212SHE-PWM, my CPU fan is a SanAce 9SG1212P1G01 strapped to a megahalem(Going to soon try different fans in place)

My Alternate Rig is running 4 AFB1212L's at 50% idle for front fans, a single AFB1212HHE for the rear fan idle at 70%, 2 Silverstone 140mm FHP-141's idle at 30% on the bottom, 2 un braned low RPM 240mm fans on top at full speed, 2 PFC1212DE's strapped to Venomous-X's to cool both CPU's, idle at 40%(Have also used AFB1212SH-PWM's in place for quieter runs, and TFC1212DE's for certain runs when my PFC was getting better plugs), a single AFC1212DD servers as my MCH fan idle at 50%, 3 EFB0412VHD's serve as my memory cooling.

Both machines were in a small 7x15ft room in which i slept with them both on and even my significant other slept in here with them. The Main rig makes a nice tone i am in love with and the alt rig makes a loud mechanical motor sound that makes it sound like a damn piece of badass machinery nis in the room. I don't mind it, although the alt rig at lan parties makes heads turn :p

Sounds like you have a "fan fetish". :eek:

I should take a picture of my Fan Box which I label: "Quiet fan...are you kidding me?"

with my current build i used Thermaltake Riing 120mm x 3 RGB kit on my rad and a Red Thermaltake Riing 140mm for rear exhaust.
i got them because they went well with my theme "BUT" the 120mm x 3 RGB kit never worked from Day 1.
i couldn't change speeds on the fan controller, it was stuck on low speed and also couldn't change LED colours.
rang Thermaltake support and was told i would have to send the whole lot back interstate for investigating what the problem was. "would of left me with no computer"
obviously i wasn't happy with that, as i was sure it was a $5-$10 faulty fan controller. so after having a bit of an argument with a very cocky tech guy at thermaltake that was just trying to egg me on.
i rang back and got someone else and explained the problem. they said they would send me out another fan controller, which i got in a cpl of days.
it fixed the problem !

now approx 1-5 2mths later and one of the 120mm fans started to get an nice annoying tick and then the back 140mm started too :rolleyes:

pulled the whole lot off and changed all fans to Noctura NF and NA fans.

should of just done it at the start, after all these years iv'e never used Noctura fans because of price. my mistake lol...

with my current build i used Thermaltake Riing 120mm x 3 RGB kit on my rad and a Red Thermaltake Riing 140mm for rear exhaust.
i got them because they went well with my theme "BUT" the 120mm x 3 RGB kit never worked from Day 1.
i couldn't change speeds on the fan controller, it was stuck on low speed and also couldn't change LED colours.
rang Thermaltake support and was told i would have to send the whole lot back interstate for investigating what the problem was. "would of left me with no computer"
obviously i wasn't happy with that, as i was sure it was a $5-$10 faulty fan controller. so after having a bit of an argument with a very cocky tech guy at thermaltake that was just trying to egg me on.
i rang back and got someone else and explained the problem. they said they would send me out another fan controller, which i got in a cpl of days.
it fixed the problem !

now approx 1-5 2mths later and one of the 120mm fans started to get an nice annoying tick and then the back 140mm started too :rolleyes:

pulled the whole lot off and changed all fans to Noctura NF and NA fans.

should of just done it at the start, after all these years iv'e never used Noctura fans because of price. my mistake lol...

Thank you for sharing your story. Most need to know these things about TT. I was contemplating on buying their premium priced RGB fans and possibly, replacing all my 9 rad fans to them. Happy I never did that $200+ upgrade.

As for Noctua, you picked one of the top picks for rads fans so that is a given. Some of the quietest rads fans in the market that push some good air for rads. The GTs, Vardars, eLoop B12s are some of the others as well in that same category.

Back