• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fast ddr3 = ddr4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Except the 3000MHz DDR4 won't be stupidly expensive, it'll allow for 16GB sticks, and use less power.

The speeds will be the same, the voltages will be (a lot) lower. I think 2133MHz is the base speed with 1.2v being the spec compared to 1600Mhz and 1.5v.

DDR3 at the same clock will be probably faster than DDR4 as they won't be so high density and sub timings on DDR3 will be probably tighter. Of course all depends also from memory controller but I just doubt that we will see 4000+ DDR4 at reasonable timings soon.
Every new DDR generation is giving us slower memory for about a year.
DDR1 400 CL2 - 600 CL3 > DDR2 533-667 CL4-5
DDR2 800-1200 CL5 > DDR3 1066-1333 CL7-9
DDR3 2400-2600 CL10 will be for sure better than early DDR4 that supposed to start with 2133-2400 CL14 settings

Also before every new generation manufacturers are switching to higher density and older memory is getting slower so like you may notice we had 2400 CL9-10 or 2600/2666 CL10-11 memory available 1-2 years ago. Now we have 2400 CL11 or 2600 CL12 kits.

So there is more to it than just "relabeling" then. Everything seems to be going "green" lately lol. Thanks for the info gents.

So there is more to it than just "relabeling" then. Everything seems to be going "green" lately lol. Thanks for the info gents.

Every generation of DDR has upped speed, lowered voltage, and upped density...
Simply more of the same.

the way the ic is its more then just relabeling, i was hoping DDR4 would be more like gDDR5. which would have and effective clock speed being twice as fast. would be like going from SDR to DDR, but then i guess they would call it QDR. i still wonder though, where would RD-Ram be at had it not be pushed out by DDR manufactures. as there was price fixing that happened to push them out instead of letting the market decide.

Rambus is still alive signing contracts with other manufacturers but hard to say if they bring anything good to the market. The same Micron has something new in plans but I'm not sure if it's going to change anything on the mass market.
There are only 3 memory manufacturers who are counting right now ( Samsung, Hynix and Micron ) so I bet they will decide what will be in our computers.

I remember Rambus it ran hot. DDR 2 is just doubling the prefetch to 4 bits and DDR3 8 bits and DDR4 16 bits to the internal I/O buffer and that takes time, that is why there is more latency with the needed timing increase. The ram can run slower clock and still collect more data. However if you need a small amount of data there is no replacement for real DDR ram speed Mhz.

Last edited:
i wonder what happened to promos? i still got my DDR2-800 G.skill HK's with those ic's, best DDR2 i ran. i had 3 sets of micron D9's, they kept dieing, they were ran only at stock speeds, DDR2-800 [email protected].

I think some other company bought them but I'm not sure. The same as PSC+Elpida merged and later Micron bought them and I think they also bought some rights to Qimonda technology after their bankruptcy. Qimonda came from Infineon when it was closed. Spectek is also part of Micron so we have 3 memory manufacturers and all other brands belong to them in some way.

Promos DDR2 was durable but was not really overclocking. At some point most manufacturers moved to Promos/Qimonda because of Micron RMA rate. Like every Mushkin 800+ was Promos based when I had a chance to test all their available series.
With DDR2 was like if you didn't kill D9 while overclocking then for sure you killed/degraded memory controller ;) I had as many dead/degraded motherboards as D9 kits.

Last edited:
That's interesting. So the motherboards mem controller does degrade.. I went though piles of d9s. Is that from running 600+ fsb for extended periods?

If motherboard has weak power section for memory controller then is dying. 3 of my Biostar TPower P45 went to RMA because of that. Also 2-3 other boards, I don't even remember what boards I had then ... one ASUS P5E for sure.
It's happening when you use too high memory voltage like 2.4V+ on D9. Some are degrading, some won't recognize memory after longer work at higher voltage.

Also D9 were dying from longer work above 2.2V ( some instantly but that's at 2.4V+ ). What more some D9 are dying just like that when you aren't even using them. I bought 6x D9 GMH/GKX last year but since I had no good board then I was almost not using them. In this year I got better board but during tests I've noticed that 3 sticks have errors or are dead. What's worse in each kit was 1 stick with some issues.

I was running DFI mATX P45 board at 600FSB with 4x D9 @1200 5-5-5 2.2V for about 5 months without issues.

Back