• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FedEx follies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love Canpar. The guys at mailboxes etc think I ship with them because it's a dollar cheaper. I ship with them because they care about the customer. They don't screw you over with bajillion dollar brokering fees (UPS) and they don't park down the block, sneak up to your house and then quietly tape a "you weren't home when we tried to deliver" notice to your front door (Fedex), all while you are inside waiting for the knock at the door. Too bad they don't have an American equivalent.

So far I have not had any bad experence with UPS, our delievery guy is super nice and has been with UPS for 16 years according to his truck. However what happens in between say newegg in CA, and Wyoming, MI only the distribution centers have control over :rolleyes:

I find that UPS gets my packages faster than FedEx, USPS is cheaper therefore prefered shipper, and FedEx will ship on Saturday.

I LOVE DHL...I ordered a package 3 day and they got it to me overnight from CA. I also had to return something with them and I was able to schedual a pickup at 11PM....with a live person.

I love them.,

Oh I forgot about DHL, I have used them only a few times, they are not very known around here the nearest DHL shipping spot is 20 minutes away. But since I have only used them a few times I can not say much.

fedex left my signature required lappy on the porch, in whats considered to be the worst part of my town, but wouldnt leave a little ole data cable for a phone that would fit between the main door and the screen door...... even after i signed the form and left it... instead of leaving it as i indicated on the form, they left it with a neighbor. one whos name i dont even know. thankfull she was honest. and thankfully nobody ventured toward the box the lappy came in... but they will steal some scrap aluminum that's sitting in the same place.... sheesh....

in my experience, UPS is MEAN to cases, have had many that come into the office at work with broken plastics and dents through box and packing material, all shipped from same companies with the more expensive fedex, are fine... coincience? :-/

Oh I've got a story for ya.....I usually get 1-2 packages a month from fedex/ups and it's usually great, but this was a plain screw-up.

I ordered a package and got the Fedex tracking number, said it would arrive on a Saturday. Great, I was out mowing the lawn that afternoon waiting for the package. It gets to be almost 4pm and I check the tracking number. What? 2:42pm left on front door, no signature required? That's impossible! I was outside! Long story short and 2 phone calls to Fedex (They didn't help at all) I found the package myself: 1/2 a block from me on top on some random mail boxes!! And this was Wednesday afternoon!! My package sat outside for 4 days!! ( you could imagine my expression ) Luckily the contents were unharmed. But it's a sad sight when they can't find the address and leave packages where ever they feel like.

1/2 a block from me on top on some random mail boxes!!
:eek: honestly, thats going a little to far....fedex needs to take w/e is stuck up their *** and smarten up.

Fedex is on my "never to use" list now.

Bios24 said:
Great, I was out mowing the lawn that afternoon waiting for the package. It gets to be almost 4pm and I check the tracking number. What? 2:42pm left on front door, no signature required? That's impossible! I was outside! Long story short and 2 phone calls to Fedex (They didn't help at all) I found the package myself: 1/2 a block from me on top on some random mail boxes!! And this was Wednesday afternoon!! My package sat outside for 4 days!! ( you could imagine my expression ) Luckily the contents were unharmed.
Holy crap, LOL!
That is so bad it's funny.

Heres my LianLi v2000a box, absolutely rediculous.
Hole.jpg

That cardboard is really thick, thank god it didn't hit the sidepaneling, then I would have thrown a fit.

On a side note, id pay double for shipping just to not use Fedex.

One dent, and you're crying about fedex?

My boxes come from UPS ready to fall apart, literally. I've picked boxes up and had the bottom go out

and it's not just ONE from UPS, it's ALL of them.

Amazon just got a nasty email from me...they didn't even use packaging material with my books...needless to say they are in VERY bad shape for brand new books

Theres a difference between a dent and a >HOLE<. There is a HOLE in that box, without the little piece of styrofoam it would have put a fat dent into my 259.00 case. I think you would be crying to if you had a dent in your 259.00 case.

BTW, in my area, friends of mine who order stuff from Newegg get damaged boxes all the time. Only if I could get a different shipping service from the egg.

i have a theory......

i tihnk it's the guys who make minimum wage or whatever, working in the sorting facilities, who dont give a crap about their job or the customer satisfaction, and they toss the boxes around as they please. they arent worried if the package is damaged... caus it isnt theirs. people unhappy with their jobs making crap for money usually have poor attitudes towards the job. so it isnt really the companys fault, its the employees that dont give a crap about the job. i guess the company could pay them more and stress package care more tho... but i tihnk theres always going to be horror stories for every company, caus all local hubs are going to be different, while some will treat packages like they're the most important thing in the world, others will be seeing how far they can punt them into the truck.

four4875 said:
i have a theory......

i tihnk it's the guys who make minimum wage or whatever, working in the sorting facilities, who dont give a crap about their job or the customer satisfaction, and they toss the boxes around as they please. they arent worried if the package is damaged... caus it isnt theirs. people unhappy with their jobs making crap for money usually have poor attitudes towards the job. so it isnt really the companys fault, its the employees that dont give a crap about the job. i guess the company could pay them more and stress package care more tho... but i tihnk theres always going to be horror stories for every company, caus all local hubs are going to be different, while some will treat packages like they're the most important thing in the world, others will be seeing how far they can punt them into the truck.

Trust me...it's the companies fault.

Even in your theory (which is right, actually)...it's the company paying their employees ****-poor wages and treated them like dog**** that gives them that bad attitude...trust me - I work in a place like that...

Last edited:
I ordered a new sound card from newegg shipped via fedex. Im checking tracking numbers and they say it's going to be delieved on wendsday at 3:00.
I get home at 4:00 and check tracking, says delived signed for. Gives me the name used to sign for which is not mine.

I throw the name into Anywho and have to track down where this person lives. They lived up the street from me and had also ordered something from Newegg. Fedex guy just took all Newegg packages and gave them to this person.

mudpark41 said:
I throw the name into Anywho and have to track down where this person lives. They lived up the street from me and had also ordered something from Newegg. Fedex guy just took all Newegg packages and gave them to this person.

We had the same thing happen at work. Except we were the place where all newegg packages were shipped. I was kinda wondering why we got a nice shiney $100 case when usually we only order $30 cases for the PCs we use.

Figure if we weren't such nice people and called up FedEX some guy would be wondering where his case ever went to.

There is alot of mis information about UPS here.

1) employees do not ever get a discount to ship stuff. Not union jobs anyways. Maybe managment gets a deal or something, but not hourlies.

2) nobody at UPS makes close to minimum wage. Most part jobs start around 9 bucks an hour, full benefits. Drivers in this area start at 14.65 I believe and it goes up from there to something like 27/hour.

3) Boxes come end up looking like crap because the shippers do not package the boxes like UPS recommends. There are multiple diagrams on how to package stuff if you go to your local UPS location. Use lots of tape; don't put a baseball sized object in a refridgerator box with half a newspaper in there to cushion it (it will get crushed to baseball size).

All shipping companies are rough with it. Thats the nature of handling several billion packages every day. You can't have each one fly on a little silk pillow to its destination. Economies of scale. I stopped ordering from companies who ship motherboards in the motherboard box or whatever, because they are ASKING for it to be destroyed, no matter what shipper they use. If, however if it is packaged inside a larger box, surrounded by some sort of shock absorbing densely packed material, you will have no problems. Seriously. And use lots of tape. Tape helps the packages slide around their chutes, belts, and conveyers. That means they dont get stuck and smashed by the Harley Davidson frame that is behind it or the set of 26" tires bound together or whatever else is in the system. The idea is to give your package the best chance to survive, not to package it to where it looks ok and cross your fingers. That's foolishness.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Theres a difference between a dent and a >HOLE<. There is a HOLE in that box, without the little piece of styrofoam it would have put a fat dent into my 259.00 case. I think you would be crying to if you had a dent in your 259.00 case.

BTW, in my area, friends of mine who order stuff from Newegg get damaged boxes all the time. Only if I could get a different shipping service from the egg.

That dent is entirely newegg's fault. If the box was packaged in a larger box and filled with styrofoam like UPS recommends, no problems. They chose their own way. It's not like UPS hides the fact that the system is rough on packages. There are recomended methods for packaging items. If a company chooses to do it their own way, good for them.

Back