• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Few questions, GeForce2 MX 400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deleet

Registered
OK! Here it goes. I have a somwhat old Chaintech GeForce 2 MX 400 (64MB version). Currently I can raise the Core clock to about 240 MHz and Memory clock to 390 MHz. I have quite a few fans on my system and the card doesn't go pass 35º C but I start getting image errors whenever I raise the speeds more than the ones shown above. My questions are:

Is there a way to raise the speeds even more?

I heard something about enabeling extra pipelines so that a MX version of the card becomes an Ultra / GT / GTS version. Is this true and how can I do it?

Thanks for your time!

Its hard to get those mx's to really perform because the memory bandwidth is a real bottle neck. you could prolly push the core higher, but unless you can get the memory clock any higher, your not gonna see much of a performance increase.
I had a creative labs gf2 mx 32meg.
I would push the core until it started artifacting and then drop it back down 5 mhz,
then i would push the mem up in 5-8 mhz increments until it started artifacting and then back off about 5 mhz, thats about all you can do without adding additional cooling.

Already did exactly that. I can't get anything else. I already have a huge PSU fan as addicional cooling. I read somewhere that these MX cards could be "unlocked" to GTS / Ultra cards.

I had an ASUS mx400 64mb and only got 240 355 with no fans tho. and thats was fun. I loved that card.basicaly no. You have reached the limit of what that card could do. unless... volt mod?

i think that involves flashing the card's bios, which i have never done. You may want to do a search on the forums about that. also, does the card have a decent heatsink? thermaltake has a pretty good video card cooling kit that fits the old school geforce 2's

I have never heard of a mod that will make a geforce2 mx to anything else. Better cooling might get you alittle more but not much.

You could volt mod it. That way if you fry it you have a good excuse to upgrade.

I have 2 gf2 mx400's. One uses ddr ram and the other uses sdram. The one with sdr has no heatsink and overlocks like a beast. It got to 280 core and 180 mem. This sounds low, but is twice the bit pathway of the ddr models, so sdr and ddr performance is equal. I actually burnt my finger on it though, and it still works flawlessly. The gf2 mx with ddr memory I have never overclocked.

Because some had sdram and some had ddr, applications don't know what to say the ram speed is. You are looking at the false ddr speed.

Because some had sdram and some had ddr, applications don't know what to say the ram speed is. You are looking at the false ddr speed.

I heard somewhere that that ddr ram on the mx's was only 64 bit, whereas the sdram was 128 bit, therefore there was not much of a perfomance gain with ddr, it was pretty much a marketing scheme. i'll see if i can find that info.

Hehe... reminds me of the days I had a PCI Geforce 2 MX200... man those were the days. :p

Pushed a mind-boggling 1610 on 3dmark01 with a Duron 800 and 256mb PC-133. :eek:

Back